internetautomart
internetautomart SuperDork
6/29/11 2:17 p.m.

I bought a car with a NJ title, it does not have a copy of the VIN on it, under identification number it has a very short number.
Is this normal? or did I just get screwed over?
FWIW, the title has status "s" on it (salvage)

audifan
audifan Reader
6/29/11 2:24 p.m.

Depends on the year of the car is a pre 17 digit Vin car? what type of car is it?

internetautomart
6/29/11 3:29 p.m.

it's a 1997 nissan altima. it has a 17 digit vin that NJ marked on the door jamb.

JThw8
JThw8 SuperDork
6/29/11 6:22 p.m.

Something isnt right, NJ puts the full 17 digit VIN on the title.

carzan
carzan HalfDork
6/29/11 8:10 p.m.

I don't know about NJ, but I think some states assign their own number to vehicles under certain circumstances.

internetautomart
6/29/11 8:30 p.m.
carzan wrote: I don't know about NJ, but I think some states assign their own number to vehicles under certain circumstances.

that is what I am thinking, but it makes no sense when the actual VIN is still on the car (though not in the window).
I guess I'll call the NJ DMV tomorrow.

internetautomart
6/30/11 8:14 a.m.

story is that the car was stolen and recovered. upon recovery the car gets the "s" title which is in reality a rebuilt title. the VIN was changed by NJ because of it being stolen and recovered, so now it has a 5(6?) character vin from a legal standpoint.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn SuperDork
6/30/11 8:37 a.m.

Did the state attach their own VIN plate on the car somewhere, or does it only show up on the paperwork?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
oaBPnRFEGDMQ8vvLTFnPMbTiVsvHLBnfkZarLoDENJWZBgbIVNxqgSqAV5Mos6pu