SKJSS (formerly Klayfish)
SKJSS (formerly Klayfish) UltimaDork
9/19/24 5:42 a.m.

For anyone who is on the fence about trying autox or HPDE, as Nike once said "Just do it"!!  This was me yesterday at Dominion Raceway in VA.  Yes, the car is 3" wider than it is tall (I measured).  Yes, it is badly outgunned.  Yes, I was wearing 520tw tires.  Yes, I had a berkeleying blast!!!  I'm fortunate enough to have a crap ton of experience, but it doesn't matter. Get your car out there, make sure it's safe, and go have some fun!  Those guys were stunned when I kept on their ass through the esses.  I was far less stunned when they walked away from me on the straightaway...

akylekoz
akylekoz UberDork
9/19/24 6:21 a.m.

An older gentleman was asking about my Mustang at my last HDPE.  He was looking as the same car 08GT premium with exhaust and a tune, wondered if he could do this with it.  Just do it, with fresh pads and fluid, then upgrade everything as you get faster is what I told him.  Offered to sell him my car that is all built proven and sturdy.

PMRacing
PMRacing UltraDork
9/19/24 7:36 a.m.

My 2nd track weekend was with the Allegheny Region PCA at Mid-Ohio (circa 2000) in my Toyota Pickup.  I was outrunning everyone in the green group.  People laughed when I had dryer ducting going to front brakes when I showed up.  They weren't laughing when I left.  

Spearfishin
Spearfishin HalfDork
9/19/24 8:39 a.m.

NA motor. Stock suspension that was very tired (130k miles, 2006). More fun than a barrel of monkeys.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
9/19/24 8:58 a.m.

I really want to take the BRZ out to Hallett, but the whole oil pressure drop in right hand turns makes me nervous.

Spearfishin
Spearfishin HalfDork
9/19/24 9:09 a.m.
z31maniac said:

I really want to take the BRZ out to Hallett, but the whole oil pressure drop in right hand turns makes me nervous.

Buddy's dad runs his 3 or 4 weekends a year at VIR without issue (for past 3 years). Don't know what mods he's done, but to my knowledge, nothing substantial.

adam525i
adam525i SuperDork
9/19/24 9:19 a.m.

We shared the track that night. My wagon held its own lol.

adam525i
adam525i SuperDork
9/19/24 9:23 a.m.

And another a year or so later with it's replacement on a late winter day at Toronto Motorsports Park.

Spearfishin
Spearfishin HalfDork
9/19/24 9:26 a.m.

In reply to adam525i :

Yay for aging Subaru wagons on track. When I was at VIR the day that pic of my Subaru was taken, there was an LMP2 car running. We did not share a run group, and I decidedly would NOT have hung with him.

prodarwin
prodarwin MegaDork
9/19/24 9:31 a.m.

Woah, what suspension magic/body mods did they do?  From the factory, the Element is 8" on the wrong side of the Height = Track line

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
9/19/24 9:35 a.m.
Spearfishin said:
z31maniac said:

Buddy's dad runs his 3 or 4 weekends a year at VIR without issue (for past 3 years). Don't know what mods he's done, but to my knowledge, nothing substantial.

1st or 2nd gen, mine is a 2nd gen. 

Spearfishin
Spearfishin HalfDork
9/19/24 9:43 a.m.
z31maniac said:
Spearfishin said:
z31maniac said:

1st or 2nd gen, mine is a 2nd gen. 

2015ish?

SKJSS (formerly Klayfish)
SKJSS (formerly Klayfish) UltimaDork
9/19/24 10:00 a.m.
prodarwin said:

Woah, what suspension magic/body mods did they do?  From the factory, the Element is 8" on the wrong side of the Height = Track line

From outside tire edge to outside tire edge it's 72 in.  With the way my car is lowered, it is 69 in high.

prodarwin
prodarwin MegaDork
9/19/24 10:03 a.m.

Oh my bad, you aren't measuring track width, so wider tires do the trick.

RacingComputers
RacingComputers HalfDork
9/19/24 11:01 a.m.

Wider is always better

This is a America !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

gsettle
gsettle Reader
9/19/24 12:23 p.m.

Glad to see another truck on track...

This is me, 6th from the front, fixin to go out in the novice group at TTN '22 at NCM

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Sm19PUkMgftslqqlvhrhgirV3mt6UX046bw9FxnxjSwYHrpRpqxt5mZzGIGOrymo