16vCorey
16vCorey SuperDork
6/11/09 10:34 a.m.

http://teamthegoodbadandugly.blogspot.com/

My girlfriend Colleen wrote a daily blog of our first attempt at the BABE Rally. Check it out. Pics to come.

02Pilot
02Pilot New Reader
6/11/09 12:31 p.m.

Here's ours: baberally2009.blogspot.com

pinchvalve
pinchvalve SuperDork
6/11/09 1:21 p.m.

Peter Egan's column this month on a Triumph Bonnie in the Big Easy really put me on e NOLA kinda mood, and these blogs are fueling the fire. I LOVE the Toyota camper thingy in the one photo, what a perfect BABE vehicle!

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 Dork
6/11/09 2:09 p.m.

So doing this next year. The GF seems completely disgusted about the trip, sooo.....

Who wants to ride with me?

SlickDizzy
SlickDizzy SuperDork
6/11/09 4:09 p.m.

E36 M3, I didn't realize it was you in the Fox! we were in the white Volvo 960. I'm uploading our pics to photobucket tomorrow when the internet gets connected at our house.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg Dork
6/11/09 4:45 p.m.

What is permitted to get a car up to a reliable standard, how does the $500 limit work?

JFX001
JFX001 Dork
6/11/09 4:51 p.m.
aussiesmg wrote: What is permitted to get a car up to a reliable standard, how does the $500 limit work?

Aussie.....we should get some Ohioan's in the mix next year.

16vCorey
16vCorey SuperDork
6/11/09 4:57 p.m.

It's really pretty loose from what I gathered. You have to buy the car for less than $500, but you're encouraged to make it safe. So if you bought a car for $500 but the tires and brakes were completely shot, you can replace them and they wouldn't hold that against you. You might however get scoffed at if you bought a car for $500, then spent $300 fixing the air conditioning. Basically, you're trying to find a car that's crappy, fix maintenance items and things that are unsafe, but keep it as crappy as possible.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg Dork
6/11/09 5:39 p.m.

I'm up for it but the car has to be legendary I do crappy so well

GregTivo
GregTivo Reader
6/11/09 8:13 p.m.

The Volare has more than $500 in it, but that really hasn't helped its resale value. After buying it for $500, I had to replace the clutch, shocks, tires and a brake line along with painting, wiring and otherwise decorating it. I think its worth <$500 now.

gamby
gamby SuperDork
6/11/09 10:41 p.m.
GregTivo wrote: The Volare has more than $500 in it, but that really hasn't helped its resale value. After buying it for $500, I had to replace the clutch, shocks, tires and a brake line along with painting, wiring and otherwise decorating it. I think its worth <$500 now.

You found a manual Volare?!

You were able to find a clutch for a manual Volare?!?! (I dunno--strikes me as a rare part--unless it's a clutch for a 318 or something)

Goldmember
Goldmember Reader
6/12/09 12:25 a.m.

My girfriend's first car was a Volare! It was long before I met her, but the damn thing is still cruising the mean streets 1 town over.

The current owner looks like he's prepped for BABE, its got a rustoleum 2 tone blue/black paint scheme and a "My little pony" hood ornanment. Strange folks up here in the trailer parks. . .

JThw8
JThw8 SuperDork
6/12/09 7:30 a.m.

As stated above, purchase price must not exceed $500.

There is no budget on repairs as this is held on public roads and noone wants people to skip safety for a budget.

The point is to drive a crap car, so paint beyond Krylon or Rustoleum is discouraged, although 1 car this year had a pro paint job donated to it (it belched enough oil smoke to make up for it)

Dont stress too much about the rules and just have fun with it.

Car must be 1996 or older too.

Need more GRMers out there next year :)

GregTivo
GregTivo Reader
6/12/09 7:34 a.m.
gamby wrote:
GregTivo wrote: The Volare has more than $500 in it, but that really hasn't helped its resale value. After buying it for $500, I had to replace the clutch, shocks, tires and a brake line along with painting, wiring and otherwise decorating it. I think its worth <$500 now.
You found a manual Volare?! You were able to find a clutch for a manual Volare?!?! (I dunno--strikes me as a rare part--unless it's a clutch for a 318 or something)

The 4spd manual transmission was used for pretty much all the 6's and the 318 for all the years of the Volare/Aspen, so while there are not many left, it was not really a specialty part. Partstrain.com had one that worked just fine.

Greg Voth
Greg Voth Associate Publisher
6/12/09 7:50 a.m.

You know if you are looking to part that Volare out I could use all the auto to manual parts for my Aspen.

Stupid three speed auto crapped out on me like it didn't like power braking or something.

GregTivo
GregTivo Reader
6/12/09 7:56 a.m.
Greg Voth wrote: You know if you are looking to part that Volare out I could use all the auto to manual parts for my Aspen. Stupid three speed auto crapped out on me like it didn't like power braking or something.

PM me if you're interested. Car is in Houston, TX right now.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
mw57KjIh3VY4LE5nTdHBgqj05EV87Fd9Ki1RaWpeemjyTDGm6wvRlM5g29lwfUJv