3 4 5 6
Driven5
Driven5 Reader
4/16/13 6:18 p.m.
Rufledt wrote: So, stupid truck, or effective targeted marketing? Both?

Considering the high cost of that tricked-out beast combined with the limited amount of actual marketing return it's capable of at any given point in time, it would seem that the company owner has absolutely no understanding of fiscal responsibility and/or is simply using the tax benefits of the company to indulge his duchetastic desires.

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
4/16/13 6:49 p.m.

there -is- the chance he bought it like that and cleaned it up to use as marketing.

irish44j
irish44j UltraDork
4/16/13 8:06 p.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote:
914Driver wrote: Nice boat.
irish44j wrote:  photo IMG_1269-1.jpg
I would rock that if: - I towed boats of some size and weight around all the time - Had the coin to buy one of those Trucks doing truck related work are not relevant to this thread. This is really the same as the stance post with a different asshat demographic. It is really a poking fun at asshats thread.

Read my original post - I wasn't making fun of this one, I was saying that this was a "justified" use of a big-ass truck. As opposed to the other photo I posted before it.

irish44j
irish44j UltraDork
4/16/13 8:07 p.m.
Rufledt wrote: Random question, what do you guys think of this? obviously not my truck. It's big, obnoxious, bro-tastic, and all of that, but it's an advertizement vehicle for a company. It's kinda ridiculous using a truck to pimp clothing, but I guess they're one of those companies pretending to sell a 'lifestyle' instead of t-shirts. This stupid truck draws people eyes straight to the advertizement. mission accomplished? I assume that clothing company caters to bro's anyway? So, stupid truck, or effective targeted marketing? Both?

I would definitely notice the advertisement. And then I'd make damn sure never to buy anything from that brand.

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro SuperDork
4/16/13 9:09 p.m.
irish44j wrote: I would definitely notice the advertisement. And then I'd make damn sure never to buy anything from that brand.

You're probably not his target demographic anyway.

Rufledt
Rufledt Dork
4/16/13 9:33 p.m.
Trans_Maro wrote:
irish44j wrote: I would definitely notice the advertisement. And then I'd make damn sure never to buy anything from that brand.

I'm not, either. I was just curious was the GRM masses thought. Personally I thought it was stupid.

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro SuperDork
4/16/13 10:19 p.m.
Rufledt wrote: I'm not, either. I was just curious was the GRM masses thought. Personally I thought it was stupid.

It's stupid but it's what the great mouth-breathing unwashed wants.

That mentality made Orange County Choppers a E36 M3load of money.

irish44j
irish44j UltraDork
4/16/13 10:26 p.m.
Trans_Maro wrote:

true. I don't have a tiny penis

Appleseed
Appleseed UltimaDork
4/16/13 10:31 p.m.

I think that truck is just a way for a bro-dozer to live his fantasy, all in the name of a "legit" business tax write off.

Appleseed
Appleseed UltimaDork
4/16/13 10:34 p.m.

BTW, does that kind of advertising ever work?

"Wow! Look at that monster truck! I think I'll go buy some pants."

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro SuperDork
4/16/13 10:45 p.m.

In reply to irish44j:

AverageH
AverageH New Reader
4/16/13 11:55 p.m.

While it's vital to have a target demographic, limiting your possible potential customers is idiotic. I shake my head when I see a local landscape company driving their big penis truck around; In big letters on the sides and rear window it says "Git Er Done Landscaping." Sorry bud, no business from me. What a dated redneck business name.

Irish44j: I'm still thinking of the story you just wrote about the two stompers at the traffic light! I read it to my wife as I thought it was so unbelievable but entertaining at the same time. Dang I can totally picture it in my mind. Good write-up!

-Hamid

b13990
b13990 New Reader
4/17/13 9:23 a.m.

I'm equally offended by the people who put USMC or Ranger stickers on their trucks. If I ask them about their sticker, it's a "gesture of support." If a naive 16-year-old girl asks, the dude will say he just got back from Afghanistan. Oh, and all of these dudes are apparently volunteer fire-starters as well. It's all about THEIR personal glory.

Toyman01
Toyman01 PowerDork
4/17/13 6:52 p.m.

Maybe this will make you feel better. Posers they aren't.

It would probably help if I added the link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rxxt8slNaF8

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave MegaDork
4/18/13 9:27 a.m.

Meh. I'm purpose building a late model mustang from the ground up for the express purpose of driving around traffic cones. I don't think it's my place to accuse others of having a stupid automotive hobby.

b13990
b13990 New Reader
4/18/13 11:01 a.m.
DILYSI Dave wrote: Meh. I'm purpose building a late model mustang from the ground up for the express purpose of driving around traffic cones. I don't think it's my place to accuse others of having a stupid automotive hobby.

Those big trucks really tear things up, though. I live in New Orleans, where the roads are horrible, and there's a vicious cycle at work. People hate driving sedans on beat-up 19th century roads, so they buy Land Rovers, Suburbans, and such.

That helps address the issue somewhat, from an individual perspective. You're probably not going to rip the oil pan off of a Land Rover even on the worst New Orleans street.

At the same time, though, those heavy vehicles accelerate the deterioration. And more people buy Land Rovers, and eventually whole neighborhoods look like a lunar landscape.

If more people could limit themselves to Fox bodies (even ones with built 302s) the world would be a better place. (And I didn't even get into bumper lineup, "truck nuts," or the soul-killing way trucks hide the scenery on road trips; I'd have no problem with a heavy tax on trucks. It's well-deserved.)

Cotton
Cotton SuperDork
4/18/13 11:06 a.m.
b13990 wrote:
DILYSI Dave wrote: Meh. I'm purpose building a late model mustang from the ground up for the express purpose of driving around traffic cones. I don't think it's my place to accuse others of having a stupid automotive hobby.
Those big trucks really tear things up, though. I live in New Orleans, where the roads are horrible, and there's a vicious cycle at work. People hate driving sedans on beat-up 19th century roads, so they buy Land Rovers, Suburbans, and such. That helps address the issue somewhat, from an individual perspective. You're probably not going to rip the oil pan off of a Land Rover even on the worst New Orleans street. At the same time, though, those heavy vehicles accelerate the deterioration. And more people buy Land Rovers, and eventually whole neighborhoods look like a lunar landscape. If more people could limit themselves to Fox bodies (even ones with built 302s) the world would be a better place. (And I didn't even get into bumper lineup, "truck nuts," or the soul-killing way trucks hide the scenery on road trips; I'd have no problem with a heavy tax on trucks. It's well-deserved.)

How did we go talking bro dozers to heavily taxing trucks? Jesus..

b13990
b13990 New Reader
4/18/13 11:18 a.m.

In reply to Cotton:

Big trucks tear up the public infrastructure.

Also, a lot of the big truck phenomenon originates from the car-specific regulations and requirements that have been put in place since 1970 or so. People used to drive GTOs, Mustangs, Cutlasses, and 442s until we taxed them out of existence. Then, they started driving Lil' Red Express Trucks, Land Rovers, Lightings, Explorers, and the like. All I'm saying is that maybe we taxed the wrong thing out of existence.

RealMiniDriver
RealMiniDriver SuperDork
4/18/13 11:19 a.m.

Muscle car tax? Dafuq?

kreb
kreb SuperDork
4/18/13 11:40 a.m.
b13990 wrote: In reply to Cotton: Big trucks tear up the public infrastructure. Also, a lot of the big truck phenomenon originates from the car-specific regulations and requirements that have been put in place since 1970 or so. People used to drive GTOs, Mustangs, Cutlasses, and 442s until we taxed them out of existence. Then, they started driving Lil' Red Express Trucks, Land Rovers, Lightings, Explorers, and the like. All I'm saying is that maybe we taxed the wrong thing out of existence.

People deserve the right to their hoonage, ostentatious displays of size, patriotism, et cetera. My only concern is when said obsession becomes dangerous to the public health. little cars running around on 24s, trucks with inadequate brakes and suspension for their height/weight et cetera. But regulation is a slippery slope, and it probably behooves us as motorheads to promote less, not more restrictions, lest our pet be next.

b13990
b13990 New Reader
4/18/13 11:43 a.m.
RealMiniDriver wrote: Muscle car tax? Dafuq?

It exists, in the USA at least: CAFE, bumper requirements, and emissions requirements all hit muscle cars hard but didn't affect trucks. Taxing trucks sounds Communist... it's really just a rationalization of some misguided taxes we already have.

HappyAndy
HappyAndy SuperDork
4/18/13 11:45 a.m.
Toyman01 wrote: Maybe this will make you feel better. Posers they aren't. It would probably help if I added the link. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rxxt8slNaF8

Posers or not, they are trail wreckers and all have small penises.

TBH, when I was a kid I thought that monster lifted 4×4s were awsome. I out grew that pretty quickly when I encountered the damage that they caused to the off roading areas in southern NJ, where I grew up. Its a terrible irony that as the state parks cracked down on dirtbikes, the monster lifted 4×4s got a pass, because they were street legal.

I like off roading and 4×4s, but that video highlights the worst of off roading. I hope that vidoeyou was madethe on private property , but with a flowing body of water, I highly doubt it.

Now get off my lawn!

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory Reader
4/18/13 11:50 a.m.
kreb wrote: People deserve the right to their hoonage, ostentatious displays of size, patriotism, et cetera. My only concern is when said obsession becomes dangerous to the public health. little cars running around on 24s, trucks with inadequate brakes and suspension for their height/weight et cetera. But regulation is a slippery slope, and it probably behooves us as motorheads to promote less, not more restrictions, lest our pet be next.

Heck yes!

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory Reader
4/18/13 11:54 a.m.
HappyAndy wrote: I like off roading and 4×4s, but that video highlights the worst of off roading. I hope that vidoeyou was madethe on private property , but with a flowing body of water, I highly doubt it. Now get off my lawn! Between this and illegal trash dumping is what is keeping me from being able to take my kids fishing in semi-remote areas because they're all CLOSED. .
b13990
b13990 New Reader
4/18/13 12:02 p.m.

In reply to HappyAndy:

I agree, and it's revealing that I was able to construct a semi-decent case for a "truck tax" without even getting into that particular issue.

Trucks impose so many unfair costs on the rest of us; I just threw out the most obvious 3-4 things that annoy the [overrated 90s BMW] out of me on a daily basis. I could go on. How about windshield damage? How about the fact that trucks are just ugly and make a neighborhood look cheap?

Yeah, it's a free country. No, I do not support skewed government policies that tear up my roads and countryside so that some kid can scam up some female companionship.

3 4 5 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
aLjaAkpWmC62rxuA1SLVoMhHkeKRwcNMgATunq5ZHrgQOMNBalSEl3oRDuLITfCO