1 2 3 4 5
ratghia
ratghia Reader
5/29/09 8:20 p.m.

I am going to have to vote for a Rabbit GTI. It is just and all around awesome car.

Toyman01
Toyman01 Reader
5/29/09 9:02 p.m.

This one autocrosses in SCR region regularly. One FAST rabbit. http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=viewImage&friendID=27615216&albumID=2605572&imageID=58057465

I would have to go for old school.

How about a diesel? http://savannah.craigslist.org/ctd/1166171262.html

or maybe http://fayetteville.craigslist.org/cto/1146573362.html

There are a bunch of diesels available on CL including a truck. Good luck with your search.

fornetti14
fornetti14 Reader
5/29/09 9:35 p.m.

Go MK1 Photobucket

I liked them so much I bought two.

JohnW
JohnW New Reader
5/29/09 9:46 p.m.

Mk1 or Mk2. Nothing built VW built after about 1992 has much of a soul -- and they're heavy. Not a good thing for a front-wheel drive car.

The MK1 is more raw. The MK2 is a bit sturdier, heavier and more refined, and probably a better car overall.

I always went for the raw 84 GTI (I had two of them over an 8-year period.) My second 84 GTI, which I sold in 2000, remains the favorite of the 15 cars I've owned.

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado Reader
5/29/09 10:34 p.m.

Another vote for the Mk.2. My old SCCA ITB car (go-go-go fornetti14!!) was a Mk.1, and a lot of fun..but the Mk.2 is a much better car for the street. A little less twist in the chassis, a little more stable on the highway. Mine's an 8v, because I couldn't afford the 16v at the time (I bought it new).

I actually started using it as a daily again, even though it's not finished, because my commute's longer and the Corrados are so thirsty. It's a lil' stiff (I've got the Tokiko Blues & Neuspeed sports on it), but not a bad compromise. It'll run 75mph down the interstate all day long without complaint.

img src="/media/img/icons/smilies/crazy-18.png" alt="" />

It does have a bunch of squeaks & rattles, but it's been hit. Others I've driven are much tighter than mine.

Otherwise, the Mk.3 just looks funny to me..it's like they couldn't decide whether it should be aerodynamic, or look like a Volkswagen. The Mk.4 has serious front suspension issues for anyone looking to auto-x one. I've seen a couple of guys who figured out how to make them behave, but they go through front tires like shop rags. I actually kind of like the way they look, though. And the Mk.4s are like my Corrados. VW was "new" at all these stupid convienence features..the electrical problems aren't often related to the running gear, but to the power windows, the sunroof, and the (satire) heated headliner, power cupholders, and all the other crap VW added to the cars in their attempt to foist them upon the US public as "upmarket" cars.

One last caveat: Do NOT test drive a Corrado. You will want one. As much as I'd like to see the magazine do a feature on them, I wouldn't wish this addiction on any of the staff. Especially on one that has a young child to feed...

fiat22turbo
fiat22turbo SuperDork
5/30/09 1:19 a.m.

Well, if you go MK1, here's the kit for it:

Zender Kit

FOHA rear spoiler

86 GTI

RedS13Coupe
RedS13Coupe Reader
5/30/09 3:02 a.m.
Rusty_Rabbit84 wrote: Mid Engine Mk1 Cabby...

Man, I have ALWAYS wanted to do that to a truck...

72SuperBrian
72SuperBrian Reader
5/30/09 8:41 a.m.
JohnW wrote: Mk1 or Mk2. Nothing built VW built after about 1992 has much of a soul -- and they're heavy. Not a good thing for a front-wheel drive car.

+1

At 31, I think (hope?) I fall square in the middle of the GRM target demographic, and I'm not sure how others feel, but I'm starting to get all kinds of nostalgic about the Mk1 and Mk2 cars.

In their day, they were light, cheap, fun and easy to work on. I have very fond memories of my 86 Jetta GLI and I would love to see a Mk1 or Mk 2 project car!

GTwannaB
GTwannaB New Reader
5/30/09 3:14 p.m.

Basically every car suggested is located here for sale: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/cat.php?id=63

Lugnut
Lugnut Reader
5/30/09 9:12 p.m.

I would gobble up all project car articles about a TDI A4 all GTI'ed up and ready for autocross and track. Something like Randy Pobst's car, only set up for DD and DE use.

But that is a suggestion for my education, not for your fun. If you're going for your own fun, hard to beat an A2...

Travis_K
Travis_K HalfDork
5/31/09 1:11 a.m.

The only VW I have driven that i liked was an 86 gti with the suspension from a passat, and the engine from a 96 gti. It was actually alot of fun. Every other VW I have driven (MK2 and MK3) were rather unimpressive.

NGTD
NGTD HalfDork
5/31/09 8:20 a.m.

Get an A3 Golf. For most of us in rust country an A2 is a dream that we will never realize. The A3's can be lightened.

Put a TDI in it and boost it like heck and show us the results!

PHeller
PHeller HalfDork
5/31/09 11:49 a.m.

Mk1 Sirocco.

Per Schroeder
Per Schroeder Technical Editor/Advertising Director
5/31/09 4:16 p.m.

Today I'm leaning towards an A3 Golf for many of the reasons posted here. Cheap, plentiful and cheap.

Snowdoggie
Snowdoggie Reader
5/31/09 4:39 p.m.

This is my Mk 2. It cost me $300 plus the gas it took to drag it from Van Alstyne, Texas back to Dallas.

Carson
Carson HalfDork
5/31/09 8:06 p.m.

A buddy of mine recently picked up an A3 Golf 8v and due to a related series of unfortunate events, he'll probably be willing to let it go for really cheap.

Another positive, the car will come a great project first installment article: How to Remove a Blow-Before-You-Go Breathalyzer Ignition Interlock System.

jpod999
jpod999 Reader
5/31/09 8:28 p.m.

MKIII Jetta GLX. Sounds amazing and looks great too.

Junkyard_Dog
Junkyard_Dog Reader
5/31/09 9:59 p.m.

Go contrarian-new Beetle VR6 swap or 1.8t. Have you seen the prices on those lately?

mistanfo
mistanfo Dork
5/31/09 10:56 p.m.

So, I was reading the article on the NASA GT series, where your power to weight determines your classing. So long as it's horsepower to weight, and not torque to weight, could you perhaps make a TDI GTI that could clean up?

Apexcarver
Apexcarver SuperDork
5/31/09 11:23 p.m.
mistanfo wrote: So, I was reading the article on the NASA GT series, where your power to weight determines your classing. So long as it's horsepower to weight, and not torque to weight, could you perhaps make a TDI GTI that could clean up?

i was thinking similar things with the time trials rules... VW TDI locost... any non-fwd trans to bolt to that?

ultimate in between track MPG as well

Per Schroeder
6/1/09 6:22 a.m.

What's funny is that when I first started looking, there were more Mk4 VWs and Audi A4s in the sub 3k range....now they're all closer to 4-5k in our area. I shouldn't have said anything

I'd like to find a 2 door A3 w/o a sunroof like I used to have, but those are very rare. A sunroofectomy isn't too hard though.

Paul_VR6
Paul_VR6 Reader
6/1/09 7:49 a.m.

Per, if you want a 94/95 non sunroof sport, I know of two. One is a roller shell that needs work and the other is a running/driver that needs a shock tower. PM me and I'll get you details.

The biggest problem you'll have with the early Mk3's is shock tower and rocker rust.

My 95 has been a great car and honestly I'm done with Mk1's and Mk2's this car is just so easy to work on comparatively and has had fewer problems then any other VW I've owned. At least it doesn't have any problems other then the ones I cause, but that's part of the game!

For electrical, Westmoreland cars are BY FAR the worst of the bunch. Unfortunately, that includes your Rabbit and early Mk2 GTI variants. I'd skip Mexi CE1 cars (pre 90) by 92 things got much better on the wiring side. Electrical quality peaked on 92-99 cars and went WAY downhill for the early Mk4's.

Honestly, your best bet is a 1994/5 Sport or GTI VR6. You'll pay a hefty premium for the non sunroof sport, though. Almost worth getting a GTI VR6 selling the motor swap out of it and putting a 4cyl in if you really need the 'balance.'

Per Schroeder
6/1/09 8:08 a.m.

Pm'ed.

Carson
Carson HalfDork
6/1/09 9:58 a.m.
Apexcarver wrote: i was thinking similar things with the time trials rules... VW TDI locost... any non-fwd trans to bolt to that? ultimate in between track MPG as well

Off topic, but yes, Acme Adapters makes an adapter to bolt a Suzuki 'box to a VW TDI in north-south orientation.

http://www.acmeadapters.com/

RossD
RossD Reader
6/1/09 10:17 a.m.

how about a:

not mine

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
EUim6rYcYMAwni1EdgZNhX7JmFt6stZxSufvSUPMWbXoSgjn7CBkqgLq5vXJ5s3C