2 3 4 5 6
GTwannaB
GTwannaB New Reader
6/1/09 11:52 a.m.

Do any of the 2.0L A3's come with close ratio transmissions? GTI, Trek, K2 or Cabrio?

d_jabsd
d_jabsd Reader
6/1/09 12:55 p.m.

My vote is still for a VR mkiii. I was within 1-2 sec of a competently driven MCS this last saturday in GS, so the potential is there. No it won't be a nationals contender without It would be great to see what you guys could do with it, especially if you did a low-cost build for DSP, SM, or maybe a full on Prepared build.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
6/1/09 1:59 p.m.

Early Mk1 + Wire tucked 1.8T and a South African City Golf interior.

Paul_VR6
Paul_VR6 Reader
6/1/09 3:12 p.m.

No all Mk3 2L's had wide ratio transmissions.

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado Reader
6/1/09 11:28 p.m.
Carson wrote: A buddy of mine recently picked up an A3 Golf 8v and due to a related series of unfortunate events, he'll probably be willing to let it go for really cheap. Another positive, the car will come a great project first installment article: How to Remove a Blow-Before-You-Go Breathalyzer Ignition Interlock System.

If this doesn't end up in the magazine, someone's not paying attention!

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado Reader
6/1/09 11:45 p.m.
Paul_VR6 wrote: My 95 has been a great car and honestly I'm done with Mk1's and Mk2's this car is just so easy to work on comparatively and has had fewer problems then any other VW I've owned. At least it doesn't have any problems other then the ones I cause, but that's part of the game!

Paul, easier to work on than an even an 8v Mk.2? I get your point about the age/rust/etc. of Mk.1/2 cars, but I find it strange that a newer car would be less complicated to work on than an older one.

Not doubting you, dude-you know a lot more about all these cars than I do...I'm just curious.

John Brown
John Brown SuperDork
6/2/09 6:05 a.m.

Standard fuel injection versus electronic fuel injectors makes a HUGE difference in my book.

Paul_VR6
Paul_VR6 Reader
6/2/09 3:28 p.m.

I think it's easier.. try working on a 20+ year old car with CIS that starts running 'not quite right' one day. It easy to go mad trying to figure out where the stupids lie. Don't even get me started on Digi from the Mk2's there's only one part, the blue temp sensor, and it's always bad

Travis_K
Travis_K HalfDork
6/2/09 4:56 p.m.
Paul_VR6 wrote: I think it's easier.. try working on a 20+ year old car with CIS that starts running 'not quite right' one day. It easy to go mad trying to figure out where the stupids lie. Don't even get me started on Digi from the Mk2's there's only one part, the blue temp sensor, and it's always bad

According to most volkswagen people they just dont do that. lol After driving 4 mk2s that all ran like crap, i looked elsewhere. My idea for the perfect volkswagen would be a 2 door mk2 jetta, with an obd1 aba, neuspeed supercharger, corrado tranny, corrado rear beam, mk3 front subframe with passat a-arms and r32 rubber bushings, big front swaybar, corrado front brakes, bilstien sport dampers, stiff springs, quaife manual rack with tie rods from a manual steering mk3 in canada, and corrado seats. If the price was a little more realistic for the diesel stuff, the same thing with a 1.9 idi turbo or a tdi would be good too.

John Brown
John Brown SuperDork
6/2/09 5:01 p.m.
Travis_K wrote: According to most volkswagen people they just dont do that. lol After driving 4 mk2s that all ran like crap, i looked elsewhere. My idea for the perfect volkswagen would be a 4 door Helios blue MK2 Jetta, with a Megasquirted 2.0L, Holset turbochaerger, corrado tranny, corrado rear beam, mk3 front subframe with passat a-arms and r32 rubber bushings, big front swaybar, corrado front brakes, bilstien sport dampers, stiff springs, quaife, modified power rack with tie rods from a manual steering mk3 in canada, and nice Helios seats. If the price was a little more realistic for the diesel stuff, the same thing with a 1.9 idi turbo or a tdi would be good too.

Editerd to conform to Mofos dream

Per Schroeder
Per Schroeder Technical Editor/Advertising Director
6/3/09 5:27 p.m.

doh, of course, I just found a Impreza w/ a bad auto trans and another guy selling all the bits to convert to manual. all for less than 1k. doh.

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado Reader
6/3/09 10:26 p.m.
Paul_VR6 wrote: I think it's easier.. try working on a 20+ year old car with CIS that starts running 'not quite right' one day. It easy to go mad trying to figure out where the stupids lie. Don't even get me started on Digi from the Mk2's there's only one part, the blue temp sensor, and it's always bad

Loud & clear. My 8v's a `92 Digi car, but other than the hunting around at idle (which it did new, but not now), I haven't had the problems other people say they have. You're right about the CIS..lotza parts. Can't remember the last time I played with one, the Mk.2 keeps running, and both the Corrados are OBD-1 dizzy equipped.

I may have to reconsider this whole Mk.3 thing, especially now that my commute's so long. Any of `em ever come with the TDI, or would I have to make that swap myself?

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado Reader
6/3/09 10:31 p.m.
Per Schroeder wrote: doh, of course, I just found a Impreza w/ a bad auto trans and another guy selling all the bits to convert to manual. all for less than 1k. doh.

I don't think I'd turn my back on that..then again, I've already got 3 VWs to play with.

Capt Slow
Capt Slow Reader
6/3/09 11:26 p.m.

I recently found this 5th gear video that featured a mk2 GTi

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46NYCeiXdS4

I have never really lusted after a vw until I read this thread (aside from a manx)

Travis_K
Travis_K HalfDork
6/4/09 12:58 a.m.

1998 jettas were available with tdi, i think thats the only mk3 though.

Per Schroeder
6/4/09 5:05 a.m.

whew, subaru is sold. back to our other conversation.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
6/4/09 7:25 a.m.
Per Schroeder wrote: whew, subaru is sold. back to our other conversation.

Early Mk1 + Wire tucked 1.8T and a South African City Golf interior.

Per Schroeder
6/4/09 8:22 a.m.

Neat concept, but a bit beyond what I'm looking at for time and budget. The real killer is that I simply can't find a clean early Mk1—and that means our readers can't either.

Rusty_Rabbit84
Rusty_Rabbit84 Reader
6/4/09 8:31 a.m.

well i found an OBD2 mk3 golf yesterday for $1000, dude just wants to unload it, so im going to look at it today

Per Schroeder
6/4/09 8:32 a.m.

Yea, Mk3s seem like the happy value point. I prefer the OBD1 ones (1994-1995)

per

Rusty_Rabbit84
Rusty_Rabbit84 Reader
6/4/09 8:46 a.m.

ya im not all that thrilled about OBD2, but its 1000 bucks, laundry list of aftermarket parts on vortex for them...

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
6/4/09 8:49 a.m.

Whatever happened to angus mcfangus and his sweet MK1? I didn't like MK1's until I saw his restoration.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
6/4/09 9:02 a.m.

Not early, pricey, but local - http://daytona.craigslist.org/cto/1180762616.html

Not early, already "done", but cool - http://winstonsalem.craigslist.org/cto/1203615890.html

1981 2 door. It's diesel, but that can be changed - http://charlotte.craigslist.org/cto/1195376878.html

Treb
Treb New Reader
6/4/09 9:47 a.m.
Per Schroeder wrote: Yea, Mk3s seem like the happy value point. I prefer the OBD1 ones (1994-1995) per

Why? (asks the owner of a '95 Jetta)

Carson
Carson HalfDork
6/4/09 10:39 a.m.

In NC pre-OBDII cars are emissions inspection exempt, so there's that, if for no other reason.

2 3 4 5 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
64nM7I3YDnszncFTAR6Hen7IlENm0uW2l9U1V31SQJeZokXJIZAihg7mR1RcHgCM