1 2
thestig99
thestig99 Reader
8/10/11 7:34 p.m.

1995 Subaru Legacy Outback. 242k 2.2 5spd Slow Ugly Drives like a champ. Bought from the original owner, includes all kinds of stuff from buying it (window sticker, magazines, etc) and a big folder of maintenance records)

$400.

02Pilot
02Pilot Reader
8/10/11 7:42 p.m.

How did I just know I was going to see Vermont plates once I saw an old, rusty Subaru?

ValuePack
ValuePack Dork
8/10/11 8:26 p.m.

I'm more jealous than words could convey.

mad_machine
mad_machine SuperDork
8/10/11 8:32 p.m.

wow... I didn't know those could rust

EvanB
EvanB SuperDork
8/10/11 8:42 p.m.
mad_machine wrote: wow... I didn't know those could rust

http://instantrimshot.com/

plance1
plance1 Dork
8/10/11 8:47 p.m.

Ur calling that a "beater"? What are you some kind of rich guy?

Taiden
Taiden HalfDork
8/10/11 9:10 p.m.

figure out how to make these fit and we're in business

mad_machine
mad_machine SuperDork
8/10/11 9:24 p.m.
EvanB wrote:
mad_machine wrote: wow... I didn't know those could rust
http://instantrimshot.com/

I am serious. the Last car I saw rusting out around here is my BMW.. and that is because it was improperly repaired after an accident. Nothing Built since the mid-90s really rusts here.. even being close to the atlantic ocean

pigeon
pigeon Dork
8/10/11 9:41 p.m.

Um, it's August! I can't believe you even mentioned "winter" let alone have planned far enough in advance to buy a winter beater.

EvanB
EvanB SuperDork
8/10/11 9:44 p.m.
mad_machine wrote: I am serious. the Last car I saw rusting out around here is my BMW.. and that is because it was improperly repaired after an accident. Nothing Built since the mid-90s really rusts here.. even being close to the atlantic ocean

Sorry, I'm just used to Ohio where even early 2000s Subarus are showing rust. They definitely aren't as bad as some others but they do rust.

Taiden
Taiden HalfDork
8/10/11 10:29 p.m.

Subaru's seem to resist rust very well.

It's especially nice that all the hardlines are run inside the cabin.

mcompton1973
mcompton1973 New Reader
8/10/11 11:03 p.m.

That is amazing deal. Around here cars just seem to be worth a lot more.

We sold my sons 1991 Buick LaSabre for $550.
We did it by posting on CL under the heading "Car that Runs and Drives for $600" Everything else under 750 is blown head gaskets or tranny or something.

I am jealous!

Osterkraut
Osterkraut SuperDork
8/10/11 11:47 p.m.
pigeon wrote: Um, it's August! I can't believe you even mentioned "winter" let alone have planned far enough in advance to buy a winter beater.

fornetti14
fornetti14 HalfDork
8/11/11 6:24 a.m.

Any junk yard leather seats from a '97-'99 Outback will bolt right in.
Cruise in style this winter!

Raze
Raze Dork
8/11/11 6:44 a.m.
Osterkraut wrote:
pigeon wrote: Um, it's August! I can't believe you even mentioned "winter" let alone have planned far enough in advance to buy a winter beater.

HAHA, in northern New England you don't have that much time between Summer and OMG THERE'S A FOOT OF SNOW ON THE GROUND....

sachilles
sachilles Dork
8/11/11 8:22 a.m.

Ethan Allen Campus? Welcome to the Subaru bandwagon.

For the age and mileage, not much rust for a car in Vermont.

mndsm
mndsm SuperDork
8/11/11 8:27 a.m.

That's not bad at all. Less rusty than the last 400$ car I bought in any event.

mad_machine
mad_machine SuperDork
8/11/11 10:43 a.m.
Raze wrote: HAHA, in northern New England you don't have that much time between Summer and OMG THERE'S A FOOT OF SNOW ON THE GROUND....

My mom is from the UP of Michigan. She likes to say they have two seasons.. winter and three months of bad sledding

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter SuperDork
8/11/11 10:51 a.m.

In reply to Taiden:

Well, those are for a six-cylinder which would require a.... ooOOOOooooohhh, I gets it now.

Hahahaha

thestig99
thestig99 Reader
8/11/11 10:44 p.m.

Subaru's resist rust well? What? Hell the 2011 STi sedan we have at work with 13k already has some starting inside the trunklid somewhere. In VT our mid-2000's Subaru's are all starting to show some...

02Pilot wrote: How did I just know I was going to see Vermont plates once I saw an old, rusty Subaru?

Must be you've been to VT?

Believe me, it sucks to think about such things... but the middle of summer is the time to buy one of these things here. They all get expensive starting in late September.

fornetti14 wrote: Any junk yard leather seats from a '97-'99 Outback will bolt right in. Cruise in style this winter!

Pass! Both my winter beaters last year had leather with seat heaters that didn't work. Not going through that again.

sachilles wrote:

Ethan Allen Campus? Welcome to the Subaru bandwagon.

For the age and mileage, not much rust for a car in Vermont.

That is where the pics were taken. Looking forward to the AWD shenanigans.

Brought it home tonight. 40 mile shakedown run revealed a CEL "accelerating" (DAMN this thing is SLOW) uphill, don't trust the fuel gauge, possibly time for front brakes.

NGTD
NGTD Dork
8/12/11 2:27 p.m.

Here is mine - $495

PS, how much gas was in it when you got it. Mine had a CEL that disapperared as soon as I gassed it up. Subie's don't like to be really low on gas.

sachilles
sachilles Dork
8/12/11 3:32 p.m.

wow! NGTD, that looks really clean. Is the other side relatively rust free? I would take that in a heartbeat, manual transmission? That's easily worth double the price you paid, at least it would be around here. Trade you a rusted out 2.5rs for it.

I really want one of those, and transplant a turbo motor into it, for the ultimate sleeper.

NGTD
NGTD Dork
8/12/11 8:30 p.m.

It is actually fairly rusty underneath, but not bad. Just about to roll over 400k kms! Local car - folks lived out of town. It is a 5 spd.

It is my rally-X, tsd and rally voluteer car. I am in Canada and I have never seen a car like this go for less than $1500.

I put $200 worth of used parts into it and had the safety done and it was back on the road.

Lesley
Lesley SuperDork
8/12/11 9:35 p.m.

Here's mine. 180,000 kms, new brakes, new exhaust, nothing to safety it - $900 all in.

Taiden
Taiden HalfDork
8/12/11 10:01 p.m.
Lesley wrote: Here's mine. 180,000 kms, new brakes, new exhaust, nothing to safety it - $900 all in.

AWD?

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
1eusSIMvHBzmXE5s01OhUWhdtJgHxsCQpiMJJcOCzZ7Q34LGnMgP2s4qFLZlOQjU