1 2
CarKid1989
CarKid1989 SuperDork
3/18/15 9:31 p.m.

I have been going crazy looing at all the options out there for scissor lifts. We have a tall garage ceiling but I got axed on the two post or 4 post lifts. Scissor come in two forms: platform and the ones everyone thinks of, the standard. I want the standard one. 6000lbs should be enough right?

My questions comes as to who should I buy from essentially. DrBoost has been helpful because her was in the same boat a while ago so top of the list is the Bendpak MD6P.

BendPak

but a lot of people, especially on Garage Journal recommend Greg Smith Equipment Sales stuff. Here is the comparable model to the BendPak. The downside is that they have a rap for bad customer service...

Atlas TD6MR

Lastly there is the Dannmar which looks like the Atlas but a different color.

Dannmar

I am looking for the best deal but at the same time a quality product. I am hoping to buy new unless I find a scratch/dent essentially.

What would you suggest?

Thanks

WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane Reader
3/18/15 10:29 p.m.

Dumb question, but why is a 2 post out of th equestrian if you have the ceiling height? I paid ~600 for mine used, but it's a vbm (now known as challenger) usa made lift. I would think a scissor lift would be in the way doing things under the car...

CarKid1989
CarKid1989 SuperDork
3/18/15 10:46 p.m.

Pretty much because the garage needs the space and flexibility that a bolted in lift can't provide

WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane Reader
3/18/15 11:08 p.m.

Fair enough..

Follow up dumb question, for the price and lift capacity you're looking at, would a ranger quick jack be a better solution?

CarKid1989
CarKid1989 SuperDork
3/18/15 11:12 p.m.

Looked at the quickjack..love the idea. The max lift height is what i can get with jack and jackstands. The scissor lift blows it away

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
3/18/15 11:14 p.m.

I have a buddu in Indy selling an Atlas side lift scissor lift. About a year old. Run you a grand. Interested?

OldGray320i
OldGray320i Reader
3/19/15 12:06 a.m.

I'd love to pick up something like this in the not distant future, but access for doing a clutch or exhaust work is limited (and is primarily what I'd want it for...). A nice two post is a long way off, if ever.

WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane Reader
3/19/15 7:24 a.m.
OldGray320i wrote: I'd love to pick up something like this in the not distant future, but access for doing a clutch or exhaust work is limited (and is primarily what I'd want it for...). A nice two post is a long way off, if ever.

Have you looked at the MaxJax? They're a touch more expensive than these scissors (I think about $2100 if I recall), but they have a higher lift window and aren't "in the way" like the scissors are. Seems like a good compromise between scissors and a full on two post.

Sorry for not actually answering your question, CarKid. I don't have any experience with scissors, so I'm trying to relate it to something I'm familiar with

CarKid1989
CarKid1989 SuperDork
3/19/15 7:30 a.m.
Swank Force One wrote: I have a buddu in Indy selling an Atlas side lift scissor lift. About a year old. Run you a grand. Interested?

Interested but no means to get it home

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
3/19/15 8:02 a.m.

In reply to CarKid1989:

I have the BendPak and there are two annoying things the Atlas addresses:

Position stops. The BendPak has 3. The Atlas has 7.

Safety release.

The Atlas has a remote lever on the pump unit - lift off the position stop, pull the lever to release the safey, then hold while lowering the car. Releasing the lever automatically re-engages the position catch at the next stop. Simple, easy and safe.

With the Bendpak you have to raise the car, then crawl under the car and release the safety by hand, then crawl back out to lower the car, then crawl back under the re-engage the safety - very annoying if you only want the car a foot or so off the ground and arguably not as safe as the Atlas as you are often under the car without safety catch protection.

Dashpot
Dashpot Reader
3/19/15 8:38 a.m.

Consider a Maxjax? Still portable and better access than a scissor. Several years of service here & I'm still very happy with the choice.

http://www.maxjaxusa.com/

rcutclif
rcutclif HalfDork
3/19/15 9:11 a.m.
Swank Force One wrote: I have a buddu in Indy selling an Atlas side lift scissor lift. About a year old. Run you a grand. Interested?

By side lift, do you mean like this?

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
3/19/15 9:19 a.m.

Yep that same exact model.

Carkid, we could possibly deliver, but it should fit in a small utility trailer.

OldGray320i
OldGray320i Reader
3/19/15 11:57 a.m.
WonkoTheSane wrote:
OldGray320i wrote: I'd love to pick up something like this in the not distant future, but access for doing a clutch or exhaust work is limited (and is primarily what I'd want it for...). A nice two post is a long way off, if ever.
Have you looked at the MaxJax? They're a touch more expensive than these scissors (I think about $2100 if I recall), but they have a higher lift window and aren't "in the way" like the scissors are. Seems like a good compromise between scissors and a full on two post. Sorry for not actually answering your question, CarKid. I don't have any experience with scissors, so I'm trying to relate it to something I'm familiar with

At $2k, that's not bad, I could get behind that (and then get behind on alimony, etc...); however, what's the depth of concrete required for the anchor bolts? For some reason I thought that was an issue for these, but maybe I'm thinking the full size 2-posts.

Me like.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
3/19/15 12:06 p.m.
CarKid1989 wrote: Looked at the quickjack..love the idea. The max lift height is what i can get with jack and jackstands. The scissor lift blows it away

FYI, here's a comparison between jackstands and a QuickJack. This is the 3500 with the thinnest rubber pads, the 5000 goes 5" taller when paired with the taller pads. This was obviously taken at the track, we were doing suspension swaps for two days on it.

Can't help with scissor jacks, but I know Bend-Pak is responsive to problems. We have six Bend-Paks at the shop.

rcutclif
rcutclif HalfDork
3/19/15 12:18 p.m.
Swank Force One wrote: Yep that same exact model. Carkid, we could possibly deliver, but it should fit in a small utility trailer.

Bummer it looks so wide (ie almost goes from front tire to back tire). I'm considering a scissor lift, but would like the ability to set the car on jackstands and run the lift back down for some jobs.

CarKid1989
CarKid1989 SuperDork
3/19/15 4:52 p.m.
Dashpot wrote: Consider a Maxjax? Still portable and better access than a scissor. Several years of service here & I'm still very happy with the choice. http://www.maxjaxusa.com/

no Maxjax because concrete needs drilling. cant have that. just not going there.

sticking to scissor lifts

WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane Reader
3/19/15 6:50 p.m.
OldGray320i wrote:
WonkoTheSane wrote:
Have you looked at the MaxJax? They're a touch more expensive than these scissors (I think about $2100 if I recall), but they have a higher lift window and aren't "in the way" like the scissors are. Seems like a good compromise between scissors and a full on two post. Sorry for not actually answering your question, CarKid. I don't have any experience with scissors, so I'm trying to relate it to something I'm familiar with
At $2k, that's not bad, I could get behind that (and then get behind on alimony, etc...); however, what's the depth of concrete required for the anchor bolts? For some reason I thought that was an issue for these, but maybe I'm thinking the full size 2-posts. Me like.

Don't quote me on this, but if I recall the discussion, it was 6" of depth which should be fairly standard as long as your garage guys did an decent job. I had that in my garage for my two post.

patgizz
patgizz PowerDork
3/19/15 7:22 p.m.
CarKid1989 wrote:
Interested but no means to get it home

you can borrow my trailer.

Woody
Woody MegaDork
3/19/15 7:46 p.m.
WonkoTheSane wrote:
OldGray320i wrote:
WonkoTheSane wrote:
At $2k, that's not bad, I could get behind that (and then get behind on alimony, etc...); however, what's the depth of concrete required for the anchor bolts? For some reason I thought that was an issue for these, but maybe I'm thinking the full size 2-posts. Me like.
Don't quote me on this, but if I recall the discussion, it was 6" of depth which should be fairly standard as long as your garage guys did an decent job. I had that in my garage for my two post.

The minimum requirements are 2500-3000 PSI 4" thick concrete.

I love mine. I don't even take the posts down when I'm not using it. I just disconnect the hoses and remove the yellow arms.

photo MaxJax007_zps03065e27.jpg

photo MaxJax001_zpsb763c6f4.jpg

johnnytorque
johnnytorque Reader
3/19/15 7:56 p.m.

I have the Danmar. Bought it at Costco.ca up here in Canada, on sale, for $1800 tax in, delivered.

I have a small 1 car garage and I LOVE my scissor lift. It definitely goes high enough for me. It seems very well built(I'm a welder/fabricator) and the benefits of working on my 944 have been amazing. I couldn't gp 2 or 4 post, or I would be ble to walk around the car.

I'm currently doing a waterpump, t-belt and it's so much better.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
3/19/15 9:26 p.m.

In reply to johnnytorque:

I'm in the same boat with a 1-car garage. While I'd love to have the clear under-car access of a 2-post, my garage just isn't wide enough.

EvanR
EvanR Dork
3/19/15 9:59 p.m.

From the title of the thread, I was picturing one of these. This is a scissor lift in my world:

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 SuperDork
3/20/15 12:15 p.m.

Im watching with interest. A scissor lift is in my future. Hoping for a high lift version.

bravenrace
bravenrace MegaDork
3/20/15 12:25 p.m.

In reply to EvanR:

You must be really tall...

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
X67jr377zhbn18qYZ3HBOWEdgJkK9dn1EhE5zFg7BA6vdXMDSyexOYBn2yRsh3U7