2 3 4 5 6
accordionfolder
accordionfolder SuperDork
1/12/21 12:49 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

Yeah - the newer ones supposedly fixed that no-no zone of pressure that was built up from my understanding. Have you heard/seen the contrary on the new ones? It would be hilarious if my attempt to avoid it caused it to happen. Though both of my cars aren't quite as sticky or as fast as yours either. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
1/12/21 12:52 p.m.
accordionfolder said:

Yeah - the newer ones supposedly fixed that no-no zone of pressure that was built up from my understanding. Have you heard/seen the contrary on the new ones?

It was just badly engineered. Stress risers all over the place. The replacement added some chamfers and threw a big chunk of extra material at the flange thickness. The engineering was done by Driveshaft Shop, I believe, they're just resold by V8R. There have been no failures that I know of.

The irony is that I had just installed those hubs because I'd lost a CV joint on a previous track day and we didn't have time to get another one before the Laguna event. So I grabbed a set of stronger halfshafts with bigger CVs that required the use of the V8R hub. I'd been using stock hubs before that point. One of those upgrades that wasn't an upgrade.

accordionfolder
1/12/21 12:55 p.m.

Yeah - I read a few bits on it. So far mine seem happy, and like you said, they're chunky bois and neither of my cars are as sticky or fast as yours yet.

HFmaxi
HFmaxi Reader
1/12/21 7:19 p.m.

Miss the rally car, jumping it was quite fun. 

edwardh80
edwardh80 Reader
1/12/21 8:44 p.m.

My effort quite a few years ago now. Man I miss that truck.

KevinLG
KevinLG New Reader
1/12/21 8:58 p.m.

Yet another turn 12 at NCM photo. I definitely cut the curb waaaay too much on this particular go-around. 

irish44j (Forum Supporter)
irish44j (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
1/13/21 10:46 a.m.
Katya4me said:

">

Me at a rallyx a few years ago.

More accurately, you at pretty much every rallycross :)

1/13/21 10:48 a.m.
HFmaxi said:

pretty sure the guys running it now aren't getting half as much air as you and Matt did lol. 

BA5
BA5 Reader
1/13/21 11:53 a.m.

The red Prelude dog legs it at autocross pretty easily.  

Also, the new Atlanta Region Autocross photographer is the best we've had since Perry Bennett, in my opinion.

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 SuperDork
1/13/21 11:55 a.m.
Keith Tanner said:

This is four in the air. Would have been nice if this was in the notes...

In-car.

I've got another shot of it with four in the air on a different stage somewhere, I'll have to dig it up.

I love her voice rising at every cringy point... hahaha. You must have been chuckling the whole way.

Somebeach (Forum Supporter)
Somebeach (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
1/13/21 12:06 p.m.
HFmaxi said:

What kinda of suspension set up or travel do you need to be able to do these kind of jumps? 

Just looks like it would hurt landing 

1/13/21 1:42 p.m.
Somebeach (Forum Supporter) said:
HFmaxi said:

What kinda of suspension set up or travel do you need to be able to do these kind of jumps? 

Plenty of guys jump in rally with basically stock-ish suspension setups, but usually with upgraded shocks (like Bilstein HDs). We've done 8 or 9 rallies with stock-ish suspension and HDs (gone through a few sets of shocks though), and now we run some stronger/uprated Bilstein gravel shocks along with heavier-duty front coilovers and reinforced rear trailing arms. 

It's not a matter of what suspension you NEED to do these kind of jumps. It's a matter of what suspension can handle them without constant replacement/repair. Guys with heavier-duty suspension go bigger on jumps, guys with ligher-duty suspension don't go as big. 

example: this is about as big as I would take my car on HDs with stock trailing arms and using OEM e36 springs (no damage from this jump):

Flying rally e30s (STPR '17) - R3VLimited Forums

And here's Dan Downey, also in an e30 on the same jump, with JVAB rally coilovers in the front (and standard HDs in the rear). I'm pretty sure he bent his rear control arms on the landing of this. Compare the guy in the bright green shirt in the crowd for an ide of how much farther he flew than we did!

Thinking of subaru as rally project car| Grassroots Motorsports forum |

11GTCS
11GTCS HalfDork
1/13/21 2:44 p.m.
irish44j (Forum Supporter) said:
HFmaxi said:

Plenty of guys jump in rally with basically stock-ish suspension setups, but usually with upgraded shocks (like Bilstein HDs). We've done 8 or 9 rallies with stock-ish suspension and HDs (gone through a few sets of shocks though), and now we run some stronger/uprated Bilstein gravel shocks along with heavier-duty front coilovers and reinforced rear trailing arms. 

It's not a matter of what suspension you NEED to do these kind of jumps. It's a matter of what suspension can handle them without constant replacement/repair. Guys with heavier-duty suspension go bigger on jumps, guys with ligher-duty suspension don't go as big. 

example: this is about as big as I would take my car on HDs with stock trailing arms and using OEM e36 springs (no damage from this jump):

And here's Dan Downey, also in an e30 on the same jump, with JVAB rally coilovers in the front (and standard HDs in the rear). I'm pretty sure he bent his rear control arms on the landing of this. Compare the guy in the bright green shirt in the crowd for an ide of how much farther he flew than we did!

LOL, it sure is a small world.  I recognize that BMW, Dan used to work on that car (a lot) in his parent's driveway just down the street from me.  My wife and I go by their house on walks frequently so I was always checking to see what was new on the car.  Based on these pictures I now have a better understanding of why he was always working on it!   Is he still running it?  I haven't seen it in a few years.

My little ' 86 Jetta GLI used to lift the inside rear regularly (as reported by friends behind me) but all those beam axle VW's did that if you pushed them.  No pics and ancient history now.

sergio
sergio HalfDork
1/13/21 3:08 p.m.

HFmaxi
HFmaxi Reader
1/13/21 3:09 p.m.

Lighter cars can get away with 40mm inserts either modified HD's or Bilstein will sometimes sell you custom valved motorsports blanks. You should expect that you'll bend one if you are abusive. Controlling overall extension and using big bushings in the bodies really helps. Most anything over 2500lbs needs a 50mm insert. Here's a pict of the JVAB 40mm unit we ran, never had to replace the fronts but did a few rear inserts over the years. Subaru made it a bit easier by offering group n bushings and mounts through any dealer. 

Apis Mellifera
Apis Mellifera Dork
1/13/21 5:12 p.m.

My old MGB GT lifting a front wheel for the first time due to a large passenger being on board.  Apparently it got pretty high prior to the photo.  Everyone started yelling, including the instructor.  This was at a skidpad test and tune event and it pulled .98g that day.  It had a really big Aadco front antiroll bar and none on the back.  It felt like a boat coming up on plane and it was abrupt and pretty uncomfortable when it lifted the wheel, but I found I could control and repeat it once the initial shock subsided.  I immediately added a rear bar after this event.

accordionfolder
1/13/21 6:41 p.m.

The rally boys showing up all like:

Tom1200
Tom1200 SuperDork
1/13/21 7:16 p.m.

In reply to accordionfolder :

Apparently we don't have any monster truck guys on here.

1/13/21 8:16 p.m.
11GTCS said:
irish44j (Forum Supporter) said:
HFmaxi said:

LOL, it sure is a small world.  I recognize that BMW, Dan used to work on that car (a lot) in his parent's driveway just down the street from me.  My wife and I go by their house on walks frequently so I was always checking to see what was new on the car.  Based on these pictures I now have a better understanding of why he was always working on it!   Is he still running it?  I haven't seen it in a few years.

My little ' 86 Jetta GLI used to lift the inside rear regularly (as reported by friends behind me) but all those beam axle VW's did that if you pushed them.  No pics and ancient history now.

Yep he is still running it, And actually just put them in 54 engine in it so it'll be even faster. he is one of the faster drivers on the East coast in rear wheel drive rally. 

I'm not sure which house he lived in near you but I know he has moved a couple times in the past few years and just recently bought a house someplace, So that's probably why you haven't seen him.

If you are on Facebook look up Downey Dirty Racing

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
1/13/21 8:22 p.m.
accordionfolder said:

The rally boys showing up all like:

Not rally, and not me, although I was the corner worker in the background.

Note that ZB did not lift.  Never lift, that way lies tires grabbing and making life worse.  (Also, I do not think ZB knows how to lift)

What is funny is, there were no ruts or anything there, it was just grippy dirt.

fidelity101 (Forum Supporter)
fidelity101 (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
1/13/21 8:56 p.m.

I see you've played knifey spooney before!

NickD
NickD UltimaDork
1/14/21 6:47 a.m.
accordionfolder said:

In reply to NickD :

1) I love your miata (as always) 2) BADASS - do you have subframe connectors in yours?

I don't have subframe connectors in my car. Really probably should, but something about drilling 20 holes in the floorpan makes me squeamish. That and I'd have to get the frame rails back into shape, since they were mangled by a previous owner. The chassis on my car is tweaked and kind of a pile of a junk, it just has a lot of good shiny bits on it.

Chris_V
Chris_V UberDork
1/14/21 8:00 a.m.

I loved my old Baja bug for this:

jfryjfry (FS)
jfryjfry (FS) Dork
1/14/21 8:17 a.m.

I know it clearly states that we need to own the car, but does it count if I tried to buy it after the test drive?

here is a link to a gif:

https://www.news24.com/wheels/WildOnWheels/john-wick-2-all-you-need-to-know-about-the-opening-car-chase-20170629

1/14/21 8:24 a.m.
jfryjfry (FS) said:

I know it clearly states that we need to own the car, but does it count if I tried to buy it after the test drive?

here is a link to a gif:

https://www.news24.com/wheels/WildOnWheels/john-wick-2-all-you-need-to-know-about-the-opening-car-chase-20170629

Personally, I preferred your photo of the (Suburban?) with the driving rig on the roof going airborne that you posted at some point in another thread :)

2 3 4 5 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
notRche9EyRdBRf7dSRKi2PGYdGg9MuLYBSkcy5Iv5nvRTU0qABK2hiGIrAQjf3F