Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
7/2/13 12:34 p.m.

So, this was our second year spectating at Pike's Peak. And it was 100 times better this year because of a few things we learned. So, in case anyone else is thinking of going, here's what I got:

• bring every kind of clothing you can. We got hailed/snowed, strong sunlight, winds, thick fog. I went from a t-shirt to a shirt/hoodie/fleece/shell combo, and Janel backed that up with a fleece blanket, a toque and mittens.

• camping is fun, but expect an early night. Even if you don't pull out at 3am to drive up the mountain, people around you might.

• be fully self-supported. Don't expect food trucks or any amenities beyond porta-potties and dumpsters. Water and sunscreen are not optional.

• get up the mountain at 3 am to park at Devil's Playground. It's more of a hassle than camping at one of the other areas and staying there, but you can see SO much more. From my chair, I could see the start line, all three camping areas and a range of different corners.

• if you can, drive the course the day before. It'll give you a better appreciation of just what these guys are doing. Last year, we stayed below treeline. Mistake.

• bring a comfy chair. You're going to be in it all day.

• bring a roomy car. You may end up taking refuge. Bonus points for a VW Westfalia, so you can make hot drinks, tortilla soup and s'mores as you outwait a red flag.

• bring binoculars. Not needed if you're at the side of the road where you only see the cars for 10 seconds, but very useful for Devil's Playground.

• bring a radio. The AM race broadcast is very useful.

• expect to be up there until late. You can't leave until the cars come down from the top. That was 6 pm this year and later last year. Everyone rushes to get out of the parking lot...to get into a two-hour traffic jam. See, the pits are on the same road you're using to get out. So the "victory lane" celebrations will stop you in your tracks.

• because you're getting off the mountain late, don't expect to drive too far. But don't expect to pick up a hotel room, I'd recommend reservations. We took the day off after the race and had a more leisurely drive home.

I know there's more going on such as the fan fest on Friday night, but we've always driven up on Saturday so I can't comment.

Anyone else?

slowride
slowride Reader
7/2/13 12:43 p.m.

Thanks! I'll get to this eventually (hopefully in the next 2-3 years).

N Sperlo
N Sperlo MegaDork
7/2/13 12:43 p.m.

Don't run across the stage. Has the video been posted yet?

coldaudio
coldaudio New Reader
7/2/13 12:47 p.m.

All great points. This was my first year and I learned quite a bit for next year. You covered pretty much all of it. Especially the part about bringing a radio! Hugely helpful no matter how bad the race coverage.

Water, water, water. And sunscreen. I live out here and the altitude change still takes some getting used to. Water helps your body tremendously.

We camped at Glen Cove and stayed above treeline. This strategy definitely gave the best views all day.

The further your campsite is from the road, the less likely the 3 AM drive-up will keep you awake. Or just do like most people and drink lots of alcohol the night before.

Drinking altitude will get you drunk FAST. Be careful out there.

Bring hiking shoes/boots if you plan on doing a lot of walking. We checked out several spots during the day Sunday, and there are no footpaths. It's very steep walking with a lot of loose rocks.

Don't bring a chair if you plan on hiking around. There are plenty of rocks to sit on and that extra weight will be a pain to lug around with you. Great to have at the campsite though.

Warm socks are a must! I had every layer imaginable, but even wearing multiple layers and being wrapped up in a mummy bag my feet were freezing. I just had regular socks. D'oh!

Stand on the edge of the road for the drive down to high-five all of the drivers/riders!

Stay off the damn road during the race, and don't sit at the edge of the pavement on the outside (obvious) or inside (saw a few guys almost get creamed) of a turn.

Don't forget to bring a camera! But don't spend all day taking photos and documenting everything, you're there to enjoy the race.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
7/2/13 12:48 p.m.

Yeah, well, don't be a retard should go without saying. Rally drivers don't lift for squishy obstacles.

We didn't hike around much. I scoped out a good viewpoint on Saturday and we stayed there. No regrets on the chair at all, we only had to hump them to the viewpoint and back again. I'll post some photos tonight of our setup.

unk577
unk577 Reader
7/2/13 2:53 p.m.

These special people?

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FO1wgsWbWSo

Jim Pettengill
Jim Pettengill HalfDork
7/2/13 5:07 p.m.

In all the years I went (19 in all) there were more delays for stupid spectator injuries than for car problems. Stupidest one I saw was at Gilley's corner, the hairpin just below the ski area. Some fellows, well lubricated, decided to see who could jump the farthest off the edge, landing in decomposed granite at about a 45 degree angle. The winner got airlifted out by medevac chopper.

Did the electric cars have noisemakers to warn spectators that a car was coming? The first couple of years they didn't, and I saw a couple of close calls. We suggested playing cards in the wheel spokes. . .

Used to advise people parked along the course to put cardboard or a blanket over their windshields or backlights to prevent them being blasted out by rocks, but I don't suppose that's necessary anymore. Yes, my pickup got blasted back around '89 or so, and I saw Peter Brock's rented SUV's window get shot out one year.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
7/2/13 5:38 p.m.

The electrics do run a siren, and the guys on the radio were being insistent to pay attention and don't assume it's a safety vehicle.

There was one red flag due to an injured spectator at the bottom. No idea why, although it was in the same area as that hard 914 crash this year. Definitely more red flags due to vehicular incidents this year, including a helicopter ride for a motorcyclist.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
7/2/13 10:32 p.m.

Comfy chairs. Recliners, even. We leveled them with rocks

Staying warm...

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Plwx12syBAiX0dQhLfOdO1MldFrMS4CQKTlMZyrO60MipkvP0yfvcQg5mTQZi4L7