dean1484
dean1484 SuperDork
12/31/11 2:48 p.m.

I need to purchase a set for a 85 MR2. I have always used OE TRD rings and gaskets for the freshening of this motor but it has been a while and I figured I would see what the collective brain trust here thinks?

I typically get about 25-30 hours of track time between rebuilds. The nice part about the TRD rings is that they seem to ware and do not ware the cylinders. This makes re builds cheep and quick. Because of this I can swap the rings out with out removing the motor from the car.

Options From Rock Auto are Beck Arnley Clevite Sealed power

Any others I should look at?

Edit: I meant TRD not TRW (corrected in the post)

jimbbski
jimbbski Reader
12/31/11 2:54 p.m.

From what I have see posted at sites where racers post, such as IT.com the answer is "Total Seal". I have used them for a few builds and have had very good results. The cost is higher then the average set of rings but if max power is your goal then you need to spend your money on the best.

dean1484
dean1484 SuperDork
12/31/11 3:47 p.m.
jimbbski wrote: From what I have see posted at sites where racers post, such as IT.com the answer is "Total Seal". I have used them for a few builds and have had very good results. The cost is higher then the average set of rings but if max power is your goal then you need to spend your money on the best.

You were not kidding about the $$$$. A set of 4 Top ring's only $116. Complete set of clevite are about $60. I will have to do some reading up on these.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
12/31/11 5:00 p.m.

People either have very good results or very bad results with those total seal rings. And there's a lot in the second category, from my observations of people using them on teh intr4w3bz, y0.

I have always had good results with Hastings rings.

iceracer
iceracer SuperDork
12/31/11 5:02 p.m.

How do rings ware ?

dean1484
dean1484 SuperDork
12/31/11 5:04 p.m.

Are the total seal rings the ones that actually use two rings in the grove of the piston to provide a complete seal eliminating that leakage at the end gaps? If so I looked at those a while back and found that they worked better in larger bore cylinders for some reason.

Loadedagain
Loadedagain New Reader
12/31/11 8:15 p.m.

total seal. their ring design is patented or most manufacturers would offer the design as an option... like most internal engine parts the ring that will best suit your needs depends on how you intend to use the engine and the other components in it.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Uef1RRJWTC8YRk8f3RkhpBV2mi8iDFT9wL0HvaiR1EinHHfir4cYpbNkxP0OW9qM