1 2
Byrneon27
Byrneon27 Reader
11/26/21 8:36 p.m.

In my younger less "everything hurts when I move" days I was pretty handy on dirt bikes and quads. The only time I've really banged myself up riding was on like a 90cc Honda ATC. The only time I've ridden a three wheeler and not hurt myself was at an age where bravado comes naturally and with absence of sobriety that brings on supreme confidence. 

I cannot think of a less useful paddock vehicle than one where going balls out is the secret to remaining in control. 

Kids sized quads and Smart cars seem to be the choice around here. 

jh36
jh36 Dork
11/26/21 9:32 p.m.

What if I could figure out a propulsion system that directly attached to the car? Not a separate vehicle per se. Something that could be lashed to the deck or strapped to the roof of the bus. 
A new thread may be coming.  

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
11/26/21 9:39 p.m.

Some repair shops use commercial electric or gas powered pushers like this to move cars around.  I'd think a handy person could build something similar.

Tom1200
Tom1200 UltraDork
11/26/21 10:17 p.m.

In reply to jh36 :

Fantastical ideas:

Geared rollers you stick under the rear tires that result in a lower final drive rate.

A small tow/push vehicle that folds up like a folding bicycle or an old three wheeler with slip fit axle with quick release pins. That way it would be no wider than a small motorcycle once folded up.

jh36
jh36 Dork
11/27/21 4:03 a.m.
stuart in mn said:

Some repair shops use commercial electric or gas powered pushers like this to move cars around.  I'd think a handy person could build something similar.

That's about where I was going. A larger self propelled rototiller with tines removed and weighted for traction. Rebodied to look racy. $300 all day long. 
Throw your stones. 

jh36
jh36 Dork
11/27/21 7:24 a.m.

I think I'm going to switch gears and titles and start a new thread. Ya'll come on over when you have a chance. 

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/grassroots-car-pusher/188537/page1/#post3369441

Hungary Bill (Forum Supporter)
Hungary Bill (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
11/28/21 11:19 p.m.
Streetwiseguy said:

When your feet slip off the pegs, the rear wheels drive up your achilles tendon quite nicely, I hear. 

If it's really a Big Red, it long since sold.  Those things were (are?) the gold standard of 3 wheelers, and I presume there is still a very active enthusiast group, unless they are all saddled with torn achilles tendons and head injuries by now.

A small quad would do the job much better.

I put a girlfriend in the hospital that way.  Her shoelace came untied, and the back axle of my ATC 200X snagged it.  The metal foot peg put a golf ball sized hole in her ankle.

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) MegaDork
11/29/21 12:36 a.m.

I think that the Big Red and the smaller ATCs all had Honda's automatic clutch not sure how that would hold up to pushing or towing a car. 

The 200X (but not the 200S) and the 250R had real clutches. 

jh36
jh36 Dork
11/29/21 7:57 p.m.

Ok, I just looked at this  Going back for it tomorrow.

jh36
jh36 Dork
11/29/21 8:00 p.m.

Very lightly used...actually doesn't look like it has been used. I'm going to assume that any snowblower attachment will come off fairly easily but doing some research tonight. 
I appreciate the guidance from you all. I had my eyes out for a gravely mower but this was 20 minutes from my house and a solid deal. 

earlybroncoguy1
earlybroncoguy1 Reader
11/30/21 9:53 p.m.

Look around for an early '80's Honda 125m ATC in good shape. Yes, it's only 125cc, but it's a four stroke, has electric start, 4 speeds....and a LOW RANGE output box that lets it tow heavy things slowly - and can be disengaged with the flip of a lever to use it in high range for decent speed around the pits. No suspension, just huge sidewalls and low air pressure (2-3 psi).

I restored one years ago, had a blast with it. One of my kids' friends was riding it around and downshifted when he should have upshifted, threw the chain, knocked a big hole in the engine case. I could have fixed it, but I had other projects (200x, 250r, 350x, etc) and ended up selling it. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
BSZIbKiJa5rYWnSEtvZsl52zlctFCUOn9JC4tRmqhZSpPSdyTYJGoSLwqJH3QmUq