1 2 3 4
Apexcarver
Apexcarver UberDork
3/8/13 12:56 p.m.

If they are track wheels will the dip stand up to brake dust?

Kinda answers the question for you.

crankwalk
crankwalk Reader
3/8/13 1:46 p.m.
Apexcarver wrote: If they are track wheels will the dip stand up to brake dust? Kinda answers the question for you.

I'd be more worried about it holding up to heat of track days and masking hairline cracks in track wheels. I don't like powdercated wheels for track use for that reason.

Jerry
Jerry Reader
3/8/13 1:54 p.m.

Try the forums for these questions. I've done emblems front and back now and love it, doing the MR2's street rims in Blaze Orange this weekend.

The forums have plenty of sections for all different parts of cars, inside and out, bikes, helmets, anything. Plenty of people with much experience can probably answer your question, or you can check out the many examples already dipped and see what they look like.

DYC Forums

barrowcadbury
barrowcadbury Reader
3/8/13 5:00 p.m.

For those wondering about the added weight (I had the same concerns)... I watched a video where they peeled the Plastidip off an Audi and then weighed the peelings - it was less than two pounds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVeMU-o8Lsk

Jerry
Jerry Reader
3/14/13 6:03 p.m.

Had some fun with Blaze Orange over the weekend.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH UltimaDork
3/14/13 6:09 p.m.

Looks good. I'm really thinking about dipping my car matte black.

SnowMongoose
SnowMongoose Reader
3/14/13 6:32 p.m.

Ordered enough to do my wheels in blaze orange, and the missus' wheels in black.

Not entirely sure how the blaze will look on a red car, so this might be an excuse to dip my car in grey. (orange mirrors, 'spoiler', maybe offset stripe... who knows)

Nitroracer
Nitroracer SuperDork
3/14/13 9:53 p.m.
Jerry wrote: Had some fun with Blaze Orange over the weekend.

Dayum that is bright. Still, it is one of two colors I was ready to coat my wheels with when I drove a mariner blue miata. I settled on this instead...

neckromacr
neckromacr Reader
3/14/13 10:04 p.m.
Jerry wrote: Had some fun with Blaze Orange over the weekend.

This forum is bad for me. Something about blaze orange stock wheels on my Winning Blue NC for the winter has my intrigued.

CarKid1989
CarKid1989 SuperDork
3/14/13 10:22 p.m.

how many cans of blaze did it take to do the rims?

corytate
corytate UltraDork
3/14/13 11:47 p.m.

I've dipped the front badge (and now the steering badge) on my car. No problems at all. I kept resprayign the front badge with an acrylic and couldn't get it to my liking so I stripped it for the thousandth time and plastidipped 3 or 4 coats. Came out perfect, has been on there for months.
I go through the carwash at work with it all the time.
We tested how strong it holds up by dipping a piece of metal then, five minutes later, spraying it with the pressure washer.
It didn't come off AT ALL, and the drying time is minimum 30 minutes, so I'd say it's pretty durable.
I'm wanting to dip my DD and the mr2. We dipped a lot of pieces on a ruckus also.
My buddy is actually going to dip the GMC truck he just bought (for $600).

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory Reader
3/15/13 7:23 a.m.

What color would one paint steelies (from a Caravan) with snow tires? Car (avatar) is silver. I was thinking white. Any opinions welcome!

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
3/15/13 7:43 a.m.
Duke wrote: Or should I just rattle can them bronze with regular paint? They will be brand new wheels, so I kind of hate to do something I can't easily undo.

Are they aluminum wheels? If they are removing paint from them is very easy, just get oven cleaner and spray in on and it comes off easily.

Jerry
Jerry Reader
3/15/13 8:16 a.m.

In reply to CarKid1989:

They sell wheel kits, for Blaze Orange you get two cans of white for a base, and 4 cans of Blaze Orange. I used 3 cans of the orange, and might get funky with the remaining can on something, who knows?

For normal non-Blaze colors, I think the wheel kits are just 4 cans of color. $25-50 depending on the color you choose.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
3/15/13 8:40 a.m.
Jerry wrote: For normal non-Blaze colors, I think the wheel kits are just 4 cans of color. $25-50 depending on the color you choose.

Ok so now I really don't get the point of plastidip for wheels. It is more expensive then paint and at least of aluminum wheels it probably isn't the much easier to remove.

Jerry
Jerry Reader
3/15/13 9:27 a.m.

In reply to 93EXCivic:

Durability for one. I painted an emblem on the front of my Scion 3 times, and had to touch it up frequently. PlastiDip'ed it, even through this crazy winter and salt/gravel attack, it looks brand new.

Change your mind? Peel it off, and try again.

bastomatic
bastomatic SuperDork
3/15/13 9:29 a.m.

I like the blaze orange. I've been thinking of painting my Mazda5's wheels. Hmmm...

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
3/15/13 9:31 a.m.
Jerry wrote: In reply to 93EXCivic: Durability for one. I painted an emblem on the front of my Scion 3 times, and had to touch it up frequently. PlastiDip'ed it, even through this crazy winter and salt/gravel attack, it looks brand new. Change your mind? Peel it off, and try again.

I have been running painted wheels for 3 years with no porblems...

eebasist
eebasist Reader
3/15/13 9:27 p.m.

In reply to Jerry:

Learn from the jeepers.......don't get it on your hootus

kreb
kreb SuperDork
6/18/14 1:34 p.m.

I'm wondering if Plastidip wouldn't be a a good thing for my company vehicles. They are at construction sites all the time, and that's a scratch-rich environment. Anybody have thoughts on doing full-size pickups in plastidip (white) Or perhaps the outside of the bed and tailgate areas only?

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
6/18/14 1:50 p.m.

Well white plasti-dip looks dirty in 3 seconds and stains easily...you'd be better off using the best dirt-hiding color, gray.

Armitage
Armitage Reader
6/19/14 7:54 a.m.

I think it's probably too fragile for work vehicle use. It scratches easily, re-liquifies when touched by any solvent (including dribbles from the gas pump), etc. It would start to look ratty after only a week on a vehicle that sees hard use.

Jerry
Jerry Dork
6/19/14 7:59 a.m.

In reply to Armitage:

Scratches easily is relative. But solvent issues? Yep.

daytonaer
daytonaer HalfDork
6/19/14 8:33 a.m.

I "dipped" my alloy wheels blaze blue last year, held up well through a snowy salty winter. When I took it off the wheels looked clean and perfect.

I got some overspray on the calliper, and it is still there. I know it's been hot and hasn't burned off yet. Has had at least one autocross to heat up.

I just 're-did them white this spring, spurred on by eastwoods free can offer. My complaints would be: pita to peel off with complex or detailed wheels/shapes. Also, the "dip" does well with multiple thin layers, I have never layered paint this thick before, takes a half day for a set of wheels.

On the other hand, I feel the work is worth it to protect the wheels finish, combined with the ability to not permanently alter the color.

Brake dust seems to come off well with simple green, doesn't effect the coat. Other chemicals like wd40 dissolve the rubber.

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 UltraDork
6/19/14 6:20 p.m.

I've had a horrible experience with plasti-dip. I'm not sure if it's the product or the environment I live in but it has essentially ruined a set of wheels. I can post pics if some would like. After prepping the wheels, laying down a base coat of black, then applying violet metalizers. It was nearly impossible to keep clean so I decided to try and peel it off. That proved very difficult. Not sure if it is the salt in the air but the best way to explain it is that it was like trying to peel hardened caramel off. Goo be gone + WD40 + dip your car wheel prep spray helped get 90% off. The remaining 10% looks like someone took a lighter and boiled some of the clearcoat on my wheels and I'm not sure how to get it off without a chisel or sandpaper.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
4MyloWGGhxvjBjv6AGQJNF3ZBPggBi3ZUZ3ALlRt1QhcJj3zEJQiabwybBLh0x0u