1 2
birdmayne
birdmayne Reader
12/5/21 9:18 p.m.

Hey gang,

My uncle has this old MB in his barn and has asked me to get it running, now that I will have a shop again. (See Z build for Birdcave teaser)

It's a Euro spec car, and I don't know how to search their serial #s. V8, unknown size. Automatic. Ragtop. 

It's 5 hours away from me currently, so I'm attempting identify it with pictures. 

Tom1200
Tom1200 UltraDork
12/5/21 9:21 p.m.

Likely a 450SL.

Javelin (Forum Supporter)
Javelin (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
12/5/21 9:22 p.m.

Definitely an SL.

NorseDave
NorseDave Reader
12/5/21 9:32 p.m.
bgkast
bgkast PowerDork
12/5/21 9:33 p.m.

I agree with the 450 SL guess based on the air cleaner. There was also a 380 and 560 V8.  We've had 2 450s and a 560 in the family. Fun cars, not super agile, but they are tanks.

Where in WA is it located?

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
12/5/21 9:33 p.m.

If it's European it could be a 380.

I worked extensively on a gray market 280SL.  M-B was right to only import the 450.  Its main cool factor was that its cylinder head could be used to make a DOHC Nissan L24/26/28 engine, if you wanted to prove a point.

I am curious if it has K-jet or D-jet fuel injection.  Yeah, some Mercedes had D-jet!  They had a weird diaphragm type MAP sensor...

birdmayne
birdmayne Reader
12/5/21 9:39 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said: Its main cool factor was that its cylinder head could be used to make a DOHC Nissan L24/26/28 engine, if you wanted to prove a point.

Um... where can I learn more about this? I have an L28 on a stand currently 

birdmayne
birdmayne Reader
12/5/21 9:39 p.m.
bgkast said:

Where in WA is it located?

Sumas area. High and dry during flooding, thankfully 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
12/5/21 9:51 p.m.
birdmayne said:
Pete. (l33t FS) said: Its main cool factor was that its cylinder head could be used to make a DOHC Nissan L24/26/28 engine, if you wanted to prove a point.

Um... where can I learn more about this? I have an L28 on a stand currently 

Apparently Prince based the L-series engine on the Mercedes inline six from that era, to the point that the DOHC head used from the mid 1970s on will bolt on.  I have no idea if the camshaft drive lines up, but allegedly the swap has been done once or twice.

What you end up with is a Nissan engine that drives like a Mercedes, very low power output and then it chokes hard.  It's a large 12 valve head with no real upgrade path for power camshaft-wise.  Also the exhaust is on the other side of the engine bay from a L/KA/RB engine.  The 280SL felt like it had about 100hp or so.  That is to say, it made a US market 450SL feel fast, and 450SLs are sloooooow.

The DOHC head was sold in North America for something like one year in the mid 70s and then the six was dropped.  It soldiered on in the home market until at least 1981.  A friend actually had a Euro market Mercedes that had this engine, carbureted.  Little four barrel that looked like a cross between a Quadrajet and an Autolite 4300.  I might have pictures.

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) MegaDork
12/5/21 9:57 p.m.

Small bumpers say that it's a gray market European version that got US spec headlights, or it's a very early pre-74 US car. I don't think it's a 450. 

Of course, someone could have also done a bumper swap on a later car too., but I don't think that's the case here. 

I think it's a 350SL. 

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
12/5/21 10:01 p.m.
Woody (Forum Supportum) said:

Small bumpers say that it's a gray market European version that got US spec headlights, or it's a very early pre-74 US car.

It was common for gray market cars to have US spec headlights installed when they were Federalized, but then the importer would reinforce the euro bumpers to meet DOT requirements (My M535i had big hunks of strap iron bolted to the back side of the bumpers that looked like something off a farm implement.)

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
12/5/21 10:11 p.m.

In reply to birdmayne :

The lack of badges hide what engine the car had.  

Why hide makes me wonder, which was your uncle more likely to be?

The guy with the big engine (expensive model) but taking off the badges so as to be modest/discreet?

The guy with the small engine (less expensive model) but taking off the badges so as too seem more flamboyant?  

birdmayne
birdmayne Reader
12/5/21 10:16 p.m.
John Welsh said:

In reply to birdmayne :

The guy with the big engine (expensive model) but taking off the badges so as to be modest/discreet?

The guy with the small engine (less expensive model) but taking off the badges so as too seem more flamboyant?  

Neither. He's the guy who acquired it years ago in a trade and only drove it a couple of times before parking it under a cover inside the barn and forgetting about it. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
12/5/21 10:21 p.m.
John Welsh said:

In reply to birdmayne :

Option 3: The guy who got rearended and worked a deal with the body shop to put the replacement badges on the bill but not install them, taking the parts price off of the deductible to save the owner a little money.

Yes, it's shady, and I've had three friends approached by body shops to do their cars this way after a collision.  As a result, they and I began to look at debadged cars as owned by cheapskates who don't want to pay to get their cars fixed correctly.

Also as a result, I'm eyeing the back of the Mercedes for misapplied trim, or misaligned panels...

Woody (Forum Supportum)
12/5/21 10:22 p.m.

Those bumpers look too neat and tidy to have not come from the factory that way. And anyone who was motivated to do a bumper conversion probably would have added the Euro headlights at the same time. 

I'm not sure what the lighting specs were up there at the time,  but I'd be willing to bet that the car passed through Canada back when it was new. 

Woody (Forum Supportum)
12/5/21 10:24 p.m.

Removing the badges was pretty common back in the 80s. 

yupididit
yupididit PowerDork
12/5/21 10:51 p.m.

My best guess is a 350sl. The r107 are not remarkable cars and pretty common. Reliable cruisers and good looking. They certainly look better with the euro bits that's for sure. It should be d-jet. 

I'd like to see the interior though. 

Mercedes used some ugly air filter housings. 

irish44j (Forum Supporter)
irish44j (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
12/5/21 11:00 p.m.

350SL is my guess as well. 

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones Dork
12/5/21 11:00 p.m.

To confuse it even more, Early US spec 350SL's came with a 4.5 liter engine. If you can get to it to look,yellow injectors=350 engine blue injectors=450 engine and if they've been replaced get to the engine # stamped on the bell housing. 116=350 117=450. There's really no way to tell from these photos, but I'd say 350SL, witch actually has the 4.5. 71 or 72. 

CrustyRedXpress
CrustyRedXpress HalfDork
12/5/21 11:04 p.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

The euro 280SL had the M110 engine with (I think) D-jet setup. The m110 was a DOHC that made it to the US in the w114 chassis as the 280, I think in 1971-72. The carb is the weakest link-in the US market it was a solex that would warp the flange at the intake and cause all sorts of difficulty. 

Gramma had one that I would take up to autobahn speeds on the local tollway-it was smooth!

yupididit
yupididit PowerDork
12/5/21 11:41 p.m.

In reply to Steve_Jones :

Didn't the air filter housing have a smaller diameter base on the m116 vs the m117 engine?

benzbaronDaryn
benzbaronDaryn SuperDork
12/6/21 1:42 a.m.

Looks like a euro model with us headlights. 

Might be a fun car if it doesn't turn into a money pit.  You'd better love it because to make that car a running reliable car is gonna take a whole lotta time and money.  Even to get it running might be a challenge depending on how gummed up the fuel system is.  

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones Dork
12/6/21 8:14 a.m.
yupididit said:

Didn't the air filter housing have a smaller diameter base on the m116 vs the m117 engine?

Everything externally is the same, air filter housing, distributor, valve covers, etc. there's really no way to tell just by looking

yupididit
yupididit PowerDork
12/6/21 9:49 a.m.

Ah okay. I've never had an m116 car. I've had several m117's though lol

Aaron_King
Aaron_King PowerDork
12/6/21 10:41 a.m.

When I lived in Germany in the mid 80's it was very common to see cars, especially MB and BMW, debadged.  I would saw it could go either way, trying to hide the fact you got a smaller engined car or wanting to surprise people.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
VCuN1HB2NkWX5gctTtNLTn9qvDlbKDHtcvSPMYZl3y1CTItWF5Xw1BHfE093voPw