1 2 3
SlickDizzy
SlickDizzy SuperDork
11/27/11 9:13 a.m.

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/11/26/europes-toyota-gt-86-sports-car-revealed-arrives-june-2012/ Pics: http://speedhunters.com/archive/2011/11/26/gallery-gt-gt-toyota-86-first-drive-preview.aspx

2.0-liter boxer with D4-S injection (direct and port injected) 197 hp @ 7,000 rpm and 151 lb-ft (205 Nm) @6,600 rpm 6-speed manual or automatic transmissions 17-inch wheel/tire package standard 4,240mm (167 in.) long, 1285mm (50.6 in.) high, 2,570mm (101 in.) wide 53:47 front-to-rear weight distribution 475mm (18.7 in.) center of gravity

DO WANT

Luke
Luke SuperDork
11/27/11 9:23 a.m.

How much does it weigh, again?

I reckon they've nailed the aesthetics. It looks a bit dainty, (rather, not overly-aggressive), which I think is perfect for a sports car.

jrw1621
jrw1621 SuperDork
11/27/11 9:29 a.m.

I was behind a Veloster the other day...boy, does that car have a big butt. I hope the dimensions here are not similar. The pictures make it hard to tell with little frame of reference.
I am holding hope!

MrJoshua
MrJoshua SuperDork
11/27/11 9:35 a.m.

How the heck did they make it nose heavy with an engine only 18" long?

DaveEstey
DaveEstey HalfDork
11/27/11 9:52 a.m.

Toyota talks weight distribution but not curb weight. Hiding unpleasant facts?

And Honda had an engine with those stats 10 years ago.

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed Dork
11/27/11 9:55 a.m.

Overall I would say well done. Now let the complaining start. The Toyota guys hate it because it's got a Subaru motor. The Subaru guys hate because it's not AWD and it doesn't have an STi version. It's too big, too small, doesn't look enough like the concept, not enough power, too expensive, ugly wheels............geeeez all I have read are complaints and it's not even released yet!

For a RWD 4 cylinder 2 door sports coupe it's in a very small class and I say job well done. I am going to be watching this one........and of course the Subaru version.

Taiden
Taiden Dork
11/27/11 10:04 a.m.

I'm excited to see a full review of the final release!

At least we know it's actually coming to market.

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed Dork
11/27/11 10:16 a.m.
Taiden wrote: I'm excited to see a full review of the final release! At least we know it's actually coming to market.

Here's a Motor Trend test of a preproduction version (Subaru BRZ) which is very favorable comparing the handling to the Miata and the Boxster. 0-60 in 6 seconds. Curb weight around 2500 lbs.

This one is very interesting!!

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/coupes/1112_2013_subaru_brz_prototype_first_drive/

SlickDizzy
SlickDizzy SuperDork
11/27/11 10:37 a.m.

Official curb weight is 2601 lbs, according to the full press release. That's pretty damn good if you ask me.

iceracer
iceracer SuperDork
11/27/11 10:38 a.m.

It will not be a Toyota but a Scion FRS. Subaru has shown an STI concept for the BRZ.

Twin_Cam
Twin_Cam SuperDork
11/27/11 10:44 a.m.

<------ waits for them to be released so they can start depreciating so I can then buy one in five or six years

And that engine could use a few more torques, but otherwise that sounds like a solidly awesome car.

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 SuperDork
11/27/11 10:51 a.m.

Similar HP and Torque Specs to the K20Z3, similar weight to the FA2 Civic, but RWD instead of FWD....should be a pretty good car based on those specs alone lol.

It's still a Toyota though so it could be just as exciting as the color beige.

sachilles
sachilles Dork
11/27/11 11:00 a.m.

If a turbo is coming via subaru, I'm somewhat curious if it will be a bit of a departure from the typical subaru turbo set ups. From the pictures, the space between the intake and firewall appears to be smaller....and it consistant with them moving the motor back. That doesn't leave a whole lot of room for their normal top mounted intercooler setup(neither the sti, nor legacy style). It may also make the normal turbo location conflict with the strut tower. However, there is a heck of a lot more room in front, which could mean a new turbo and/or intercooler placement. I'm sure the engineers got it under control.....just curious. If that is the case, it may also mean that motor swaps will not be the typical subaru lego building blocks.

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed Dork
11/27/11 11:08 a.m.
SlickDizzy wrote: Official curb weight is 2601 lbs, according to the full press release. That's pretty damn good if you ask me.

Heck ya. That's the same weight as my Miata.

EdenPrime
EdenPrime Reader
11/27/11 11:13 a.m.

I just posted this stuff on a different Ft86 topic. LoL. I have to say there has never been a car i've been so excited about. I would love to own one of these based off the current information. Low weight, good center of gravity, 200hp, boxer engine, RWD, barely any electronic doodads. Beautiful. Also, i love SpeedHunters.com.

Taiden
Taiden Dork
11/27/11 11:24 a.m.

I'm very confident that the engineers have provided more than enough room for a giant snail. It may not be available from the factory, but that shouldn't be a problem for even the least dedicated of our members.

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed Dork
11/27/11 11:25 a.m.
EdenPrime wrote: I just posted this stuff on a different Ft86 topic. LoL. I have to say there has never been a car i've been so excited about. I would love to own one of these based off the current information. Low weight, good center of gravity, 200hp, boxer engine, RWD, barely any electronic doodads. Beautiful. Also, i love SpeedHunters.com.

I agree with you. It seems to have all the right stuff. It's amazing that it's 1000-1600 lbs. lighter than the Mustang/Camaro/Challenger trio. Granted those are big V8 powered coupes but still.......just too porky.

Looking forward to seeing the twins in person now.

Javelin
Javelin SuperDork
11/27/11 11:32 a.m.
Taiden wrote: I'm very confident that the engineers have provided more than enough room for a giant snail. It may not be available from the factory, but that shouldn't be a problem for even the least dedicated of our members.

Press releases have said otherwise. The car was designed from the get-go to be a N/A car and they have no plans to turbo it now or anytime in the future.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey HalfDork
11/27/11 11:42 a.m.
SlickDizzy wrote: Official curb weight is 2601 lbs, according to the full press release. That's pretty damn good if you ask me.

What full press release? The Toyota release posted on autoblog has no weight information.

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed Dork
11/27/11 11:48 a.m.

I think this could be really big with the drifting crowd.

JohnyHachi6
JohnyHachi6 Reader
11/27/11 11:56 a.m.

If they make a production version that weighs in at 2500 lbs and you can get a turbo on it, this will be a phenomenal car.

JohnyHachi6
JohnyHachi6 Reader
11/27/11 11:58 a.m.

Like the type-R style seats too: Link

fifty
fifty Reader
11/27/11 11:59 a.m.

There's also a Scion motorsports specific stripper model slated for release - should drop the curb weight a little more. Interesting to see how SCCA classes this in auto-x.

WilberM3
WilberM3 Dork
11/27/11 12:11 p.m.

In reply to JohnyHachi6:

wow i'm very surprised they made an interior that isnt offensively space-shippy or some crap. looks pretty well laid out. i'm actually starting to care about this car.

neckromacr
neckromacr Reader
11/27/11 3:16 p.m.

I'm curmudgony when it comes to cars.

I've been buying mostly Europeans, tend not to like cars past the last decade at best, and always had FWD, and always look past Toyota/Scion since every vehie they seem to be applianceified to the max.

Given all that, I will be looking for this car. The FRS looks to be somebody's after school project that somehow got green lighted.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
dMZU6q4MRDubAzKFGdJvTm6G7MniEh6dDm1tALtsgqz6r7n8oGPCwIwohodZELfL