2 3 4
Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
2/2/20 10:33 a.m.
LFXMX5 said:

In reply to Keith Tanner :

Your talking about production run in 2012 for the subframes.  Corrections were made at that time. Units were warranted and no failures have happened since.  You are aware that this was remedied and yet you still want to put it out there 8 years later like it’s still going on.  What is your problem Keith?

My problem is that the "corrected" units are still weak in this area - the design change was minimal and marginal. It's actually very difficult to identify the "new" ones by sight, and I've seen both failed units and the new design - and I don't see a real difference. The failure mode is very bad, with a loss of steering that has led to multiple damaged cars and injuries. Reinforcing these mounts with gussets is the work of a few minutes. 

I've had one fail. A coworker had one fail last summer and went into trees. Dave Coleman had one fail at Laguna Seca in 2018 and hit a wall hard enough to crack his sternum. The parts are only being warranted after a failure. I've had other subframe failures that are due to design choices that have not changed, but the steering rack mount failure is the most dangerous one and also the most easy to avoid. 

If you're building an endurance race car around one of these subframes, it would be negligent not to reinforce this area given the low effort and high consequences. You can choose to pretend it'll never happen because someone told you it can never happen, or you can be smart. 

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa Reader
2/2/20 10:56 a.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

That sounds about like the level of "engineering" I'd expect.

2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
6OcwMILdq74cvZQrGg3t3xYewiBB0ZhYmgRQGWEnBxQOKIn6d3eYtR1g00AT6TpZ