JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
3/12/20 8:37 a.m.
feature_image

After a couple of recent updates, we realized that we were getting a few questions regarding the 530-horsepower, LS3-based crate motor we were prepping for a dry sump install. Then we realized that we never really directly addressed the fact that we were replacing our 2004 Corvette Z06’s …

Read the rest of the story

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair MegaDork
3/12/20 3:33 p.m.

I can haz ur LS6?  It will end up in MonZora, I promise.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
3/12/20 3:38 p.m.
AngryCorvair said:

I can haz ur LS6?  It will end up in MonZora, I promise.

"Interestingly enough, the friend who bought our old LS6 is rebuilding it and will be installing it in a C5 as well." smiley

poopshovel again
poopshovel again MegaDork
3/12/20 3:56 p.m.
AngryCorvair said:

I can haz ur LS6?  

Came here to say diss.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
3/12/20 3:58 p.m.

In reply to poopshovel again :

Sure. I'll send over a Paypal invoice. 

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
3/12/20 4:59 p.m.

I am going a bit off the rails here but what made you stop at 530 hp?   

Best Hp/$$?  

Other parts of the car would need upgrading and again $$$$ becomes an issue?

More HP and speed does not always mean more fun. Is the 530 mark the sweet spot for the C5 platform?

At some point the cars ability exceeds the drives ability.  This is hard for some to accept.  There is no point in building a faster better car if the driver does not have the talent to use it.  Is this a case of this?

You don't want it to be faster?  I have had cars that I could make faster but I did not want them faster.  So ya this is a thing that I completely understand.

Would more HP detract from what made you like the car in the first place?  At some point a car with increase capabilities becomes a different car. Sometimes that is not a good thing.  

Leaving room for future modes and GRM content?

 

 

BoostedBrandon
BoostedBrandon SuperDork
3/12/20 5:14 p.m.

The LS6 has been installed and is running, it's just waiting on a tune.

And no, it's not mine, unfortunately.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
3/12/20 6:24 p.m.
dean1484 said:

I am going a bit off the rails here but what made you stop at 530 hp?   

 

My guess is because with one click on the Summit website, you have a plug and play 530hp engine, with good street driving manners and a warrantee, on its way to your doorstep.

 

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair MegaDork
3/12/20 6:38 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:
AngryCorvair said:

I can haz ur LS6?  It will end up in MonZora, I promise.

"Interestingly enough, the friend who bought our old LS6 is rebuilding it and will be installing it in a C5 as well." smiley

Uhhhhhhh, words... words... more words... reading sucks!  

docwyte
docwyte UberDork
3/13/20 10:35 a.m.

Just doing a cam swap on the LS6 will net huge gains.  On my old LS1 with the "crappy" 243 heads I made +50rwhp by installing a baby cam.  A much larger cam would've given me even more power.  The LS6 heads you already have are far better than the 243's I was running, so I don't really understand your $$ argument here. 

Toss in a cam, pushrods and valve spring upgrade and run it.  If it blows up, replace it with an LS3.

TurboTodd
TurboTodd New Reader
12/20/20 9:16 a.m.

Why not an LS7?  Sure more money.  I could see"Too much torque for an autox car", but this is a track car with cage.

Dork joke:  LS6++ = LS7, obviously

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ SuperDork
2/21/24 6:50 p.m.
docwyte said:

Just doing a cam swap on the LS6 will net huge gains.  On my old LS1 with the "crappy" 243 heads I made +50rwhp by installing a baby cam.  A much larger cam would've given me even more power.  The LS6 heads you already have are far better than the 243's I was running, so I don't really understand your $$ argument here. 

Toss in a cam, pushrods and valve spring upgrade and run it.  If it blows up, replace it with an LS3.

LS6 heads ARE 243 heads.  
 

 

https://www.alliedmotorparts.com/blogs/news/243-heads-all-about-243-ls-heads-their-application

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
2/21/24 7:13 p.m.

In reply to A 401 CJ :

That link made my phone throw up

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ SuperDork
2/21/24 7:45 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

In reply to A 401 CJ :

That link made my phone throw up

LOL.  I don't know.  Now it's hot-linked.  Works on my end (iPad)

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
2/21/24 7:56 p.m.

In reply to A 401 CJ :

The website tries to open two pop-ups and a chat window that has no obvious way of closing, is what I mean.  No I do not need technical assistance, I want to read an article...

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ SuperDork
2/22/24 6:41 a.m.

Forget that website then.  Don't infect your phone.  Just do some googling.  The point is that LS6 engines (including mine) came with 243 heads.  All LS6 came with 243.  But the 243 is not unique to LS6 - GM put that casting on some other stuff too.  I don't know if the other stuff got the sodium filled valves or not.

799 is thought to be a marginally better head than the 243.

Then there's the whole aftermarket.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
dpOXEbkIcJp1467gJ5rUaoRtBFE3ZRAoT8Qx9vEDXs6InpEU5cZIHy54QrX7KBTp