M030
M030 Reader
6/16/09 9:22 a.m.

I've been working on a 1977 924 since November... The plan was to make it road worthy and street legal, then try my hand at Rally Cross with it...

I got a (free!) 1987 924S with a bad engine for parts. I was planning to swap all the body panels, the brakes and the complete interior from the 924S into the 77 924.

After getting the 1977 924 running, I figured I'd keep the wife happy and dispose of the parts car as quickly as possible, so I stripped the 924S first. I then gutted the 1977 924 (to get all the mold out) and realised that the 924S I dimantled for parts has a much better chassis and that the intelligent thing to do would have been to put a used engine in the 924S and use the 77 for parts...

Is it better to finish what I started and swap the doors, hood, fenders and complete interior (already removed) from the 924S onto the 77 and call it a lesson learned or, simply put everything back on the 924S and deal with all of the broken clips, cut wires and other stuff I mangled while taking it apart (and still end up with a car that needs an engine...albeit one with a no rust)?

What's the point of no return guys?

P71
P71 SuperDork
6/16/09 9:36 a.m.

Go for the no rust one, always.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
6/16/09 9:50 a.m.

Build the 924S. Much better car.

abumason
abumason New Reader
6/16/09 10:03 a.m.

Either way I'd call it a lesson learned

At this point I think it comes down to how much time you have, is there any sort of deadline to get one out of the driveway and can you live with the knowledge that your chassis is a little rusty or can the rust be fixed?

Have you ever done and engine swap? I'd say if it's just for a rally-x, stick withe the original plan and get out there in the dirt ASAP.

petegossett
petegossett Dork
6/16/09 10:51 a.m.

The S will always be worth more than the 77, everything else being equal - which it's not, since the 77 is rusty.

Junkyard_Dog
Junkyard_Dog Reader
6/16/09 11:48 a.m.

Go for less rust for sure. One thing to consider, depending on inspections/emissions exemptions/taxes/insurance/registration costs where you live:the 77 can probably be registered and insured as a classic.

Gotsol
Gotsol New Reader
6/16/09 12:53 p.m.

As I was reading your thread I was thinking why didn't he restore the 924s?

Good luck

M030
M030 Reader
6/16/09 1:59 p.m.

As I was taking the 77 apart, I wondered, "why didn't I just fix the 924S?"

The problem with fixing the 924S is going to be all of the damage I did while tearing it apart to fix the '77.

The engine swap I can do with no problem - if I were putting some other engine in there (besides a stock 2.5L), I might run into trouble, but a straight-up stock engine for stock engine swap is well within my capabilities..

Appleseed
Appleseed HalfDork
6/16/09 2:31 p.m.

When you develop some sort of relationship with the car is the point of no return. It ends up feeling like you're trying to sell your grandmother.

If you talk to the car, there is no going back.

If the car talks back to you, get professional help.

If the car fixes itself, Christine style...

Travis_K
Travis_K HalfDork
6/16/09 3:24 p.m.

Fix the non rusty one. IMO, rusty cars are too much of a pain to deal with unless its really valuable and you are doing a complete restoration.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
V4xdKfv5tB8DG0vpMrQ19zWAz7JUNTrMD0t8oPHIabCsIFzGhmOJyUBpsoZKwcYw