1 2
SCARR
SCARR Reader
8/23/13 9:50 a.m.
novaderrik wrote: why does everyone get all worked up over hub centric rings? you have tapered lug nuts, do you not?
turboswede wrote: and you think some soft aluminum or plastic does this when the wheel is properly clamped in place with tapered lug nuts? Interesting....

what would rather hold up the car a 2.87" diameter shaft, with a plastic liner in it, or 4 to 5 3/8" bolts?

the hubcentric bits hold the car up and centered on the wheels, the lugs keep the wheel from falling off. 2 different vectors, 2 different things.

ApexEight
ApexEight New Reader
8/6/24 11:38 p.m.
93gsxturbo said:

Just toss them in the freezer and hammer them in. Its only 0.003" on the diameter, a light press fit. This way you dont lose a spacer.

Is this safe to do?

I've got 73.1 aluminum rings thinking they'd fit my 73 Enkeis. They do not and 73s are hard to find.

BlindPirate
BlindPirate Reader
8/8/24 11:29 a.m.
novaderrik said:

i've had a lot of non hub centric wheels and have only ever had one of them that had any sort of a wobble or vibration- it was a 15X9 Ansen slot with a 275/60 tire on with the old school slotted unilug mounting holes that was on the back of my 74 Monte Carlo... the slots were a little bit wallowed out from something that happened in the first 3 decades of their existence and would wobble a bit and cause a funky oscillating vibration at 60mph if you just slammed them on the car and screwed the nuts in, but if i was careful when i put the lug nuts on and got it centered, it rode as smooth as any Caddy ever built. those wheels were on the car for 5 years..

I loved Ansen slots! They were my favorite. But I'm old

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
8/8/24 2:39 p.m.

Looks like the thread got resurrected. Anyway, the plastic rings worked well, I put them in the freezer overnight, then took them to the car in a thermos with ice and hammered them in with a mallet.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
WQKCRTH80vwJZDFlT8np07b4FZR3hW0qSrZu1l6HkR7cdNxxTn7V7g4q9kaSspLE