Woody
Woody SuperDork
12/9/09 7:45 p.m.

Although I've owned a bunch of Hondas, my knowledge of engine and transmission swaps (as well as engine code numbers) is next to nothing.

Suppose someone found an 89 Civic DX hatch with a rust free body and an automatic for about a grand. If you wanted to make a track day weapon out of it (not a drag car and not bound by any rules other than safety stuff), how would you attack it?

xFactor
xFactor New Reader
12/9/09 8:01 p.m.

How much money?

K swap, w/6spd, or a B swap, w5/spd. Boost or no boost, or even a built D series could be options. Hondas are like legos.

later, matt

Woody
Woody SuperDork
12/9/09 8:08 p.m.

I don't think a 6 speed is necessary. What 5 speed and are they a difficult swap into an automatic shell?

pinchvalve
pinchvalve SuperDork
12/9/09 8:35 p.m.

K-Series or H-Series are doable, but more expensive and complex. For a track rat, the B-Series is the easiest to source, easiest to swap, easiest to mod, and most thoroughly tested. I have run a D16 Civic against a B18 Civic on the track and believe me, you want the B.

HeavyDuty
HeavyDuty Reader
12/9/09 10:08 p.m.

Which engine depends on what your budget is. A rough idea would help. A b series will be much easier in that car than a h or k but those are doable.

Tossing a stick in an auto - not horrible but it does add some more work. Hopefully the swap you buy will be complete and you'll need to find some pedals. If it's a track rat you might not care about interior bits.

xci_ed6
xci_ed6 Reader
12/9/09 10:15 p.m.

One cam, one love. I'll stand by the SOHC D-series because they're cheap & reliable. They are power limited w/o boost.

I did a 5spd swap on the sedan I just sold. Pretty easy, trans, shift linkage, pedal cluster, ECU is optional.

bengro
bengro New Reader
12/10/09 6:36 a.m.

dig around on ef-honda.com

so many options on there from uber cheep ~200bucks to the k-swap mentioned above

I would say keep it grass roots and get a b18 out of a base integra in there. No one wants a b swap any more so it should be cheap.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
12/10/09 8:19 a.m.

FWIW, I'd rather have an Si for 2 grand than a DX for 1 grand. Yes, the DX can be built, but with some headaches.

integraguy
integraguy HalfDork
12/10/09 10:44 a.m.

Having owned a '92 Civic CX that had a swapped B18 in it....you would be amazed at how much extra power you get for so little (compared to a H or K swap). Even a mildly built B16 will give you a very solid basis for further mods/power.

gamby
gamby SuperDork
12/10/09 11:56 p.m.

Stock B-Series is cheap and fast. A B16 EF would be a killer track car.

K-series is still hard to do PROPERLY for less than uberdollars. By the time you by all of the bits to adapt it to the EF, it'll end up costing a fortune.

Autolex
Autolex HalfDork
12/11/09 8:34 a.m.

how about a (mostly stock) B20 with a 5 speed? I somehow doubt a 10 year old CR-V motor is all that expensive, even with all the goodies to go with it...

Woody
Woody SuperDork
12/11/09 8:55 a.m.
Autolex wrote: how about a (mostly stock) B20 with a 5 speed? I somehow doubt a 10 year old CR-V motor is all that expensive, even with all the goodies to go with it...

I like the sound of that.

sobe_death
sobe_death New Reader
12/11/09 9:04 a.m.
DILYSI Dave wrote: FWIW, I'd rather have an Si for 2 grand than a DX for 1 grand. Yes, the DX can be built, but with some headaches.

QFT. With the DX, you do get a lighter car to begin with, but on anything but an SI you will have to convert it to multi-port injection. It is a pain.

Either way, cheapest bet is to leave the D-series motor in there; they are a potent little motor and the transmissions are all but bulletproof.

Autolex
Autolex HalfDork
12/11/09 9:08 a.m.

I don't know that I would ever tell dave to QFT... but hey, it's not like he knows anything about hondas or anything....

oldsaw
oldsaw HalfDork
12/11/09 9:50 a.m.
sobe_death wrote:
DILYSI Dave wrote: FWIW, I'd rather have an Si for 2 grand than a DX for 1 grand. Yes, the DX can be built, but with some headaches.
QFT. With the DX, you do get a lighter car to begin with, but on anything but an SI you will have to convert it to multi-port injection. It is a pain. Either way, cheapest bet is to leave the D-series motor in there; they are a potent little motor and the transmissions are all but bulletproof.

The dpfi-mpfi conversion is documented and may not be that difficult:

http://hondaswap.com/swap-articles/dpfi-mpfi-writeup-49557/

http://www.vadriven.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-139788.html

http://rywire.com/store/faqdesk_info.php?faqPath=2&faqdesk_id=19&osCsid=4068dae195a9ec2a4fc43600454ba72e

splitime
splitime Reader
12/11/09 9:57 a.m.
Autolex wrote: I don't know that I would ever tell dave to QFT... but hey, it's not like he knows anything about hondas or anything....

It means Quoted For Truth....

Autolex
Autolex HalfDork
12/11/09 10:56 a.m.

ahh, most people use the QFT reference to "Quit berkeleying Talking" I musta read that incorrectly!

sobe_death
sobe_death New Reader
12/12/09 3:54 p.m.

In reply to Autolex:

HAHA!! for the LONGEST time I thought the same thing! It seems most people here uset the "quoted for truth" meaning so I just adopted that version instead

gamby
gamby SuperDork
12/13/09 12:53 a.m.
Autolex wrote: ahh, most people use the QFT reference to "Quit berkeleying Talking" I musta read that incorrectly!

I've only known it as "quoted for truth"--sometimes know as "troof".

Anyway, sonic once did a beautiful B20 swap into a mint 2nd gen CRX--looked factory. It was the 125hp B20, so it was still a bit of a dog, but it held its own at the strip. Owner later turboed it and it went horribly wrong from there--typical Honda turbo project.

Autolex
Autolex HalfDork
12/14/09 11:04 a.m.
gamby wrote: ...Anyway, sonic once did a beautiful B20 swap into a mint 2nd gen CRX--looked factory...

That's my next project car... am 89-91 Civic/CRX with a B20/B20vtec. :)

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 SuperDork
12/14/09 11:30 a.m.
gamby wrote:
Autolex wrote: ahh, most people use the QFT reference to "Quit berkeleying Talking" I musta read that incorrectly!
I've only known it as "quoted for truth"--sometimes know as "troof". Anyway, sonic once did a beautiful B20 swap into a mint 2nd gen CRX--looked factory. It was the 125hp B20, so it was still a bit of a dog, but it held its own at the strip. Owner later turboed it and it went horribly wrong from there--typical Honda turbo project.

B20s aren't real boost friendly. Relatively fragile sleeves.

bravenrace
bravenrace Dork
12/14/09 1:39 p.m.

In reply to Woody:

How about a 3.5 or other V-6 in the back seat? I kept a parts car around for a couple years thinking I would do that, but never got around to it. It would be a lot of work, but I think it would be killer. Or consider this: I had a '91 CRX-si that I used for street and driver's schools/track days. I quickly realized that while it handled well, it was way too slow down the straights and out of the corners. This was before turbo kits, so I turbo'd it myself. It didn't cost me much, was pretty simple, and at 5-8 psi boost on the stock block, ran really well and over the 8 years I had it, it never had a failure.

Sonic
Sonic Dork
12/14/09 5:49 p.m.
gamby wrote: Anyway, sonic once did a beautiful B20 swap into a mint 2nd gen CRX--looked factory. It was the 125hp B20, so it was still a bit of a dog, but it held its own at the strip. Owner later turboed it and it went horribly wrong from there--typical Honda turbo project.

That was a fun car. It installed just like a B18B. It was a JDM spec B20, I think the 140 hp version, but good torque. some mild cams and an hour on the dyno REALLY woke it up, like a 30+ hp jump. Too bad Alex had to go and berkeley it up by trying to do the turbo install himself.

xci_ed6
xci_ed6 Reader
12/14/09 7:20 p.m.

I can't believe the F/H swap hasn't come up yet. I really can't believe I didn't bring it up.

You need a D-series tranny (which works well, since that's what the car was designed for, and it has 3 of the 4 engine mounts on it). Bisimoto H2D kit. And an F or H engine. F's are dirt cheap, H's are still way cheaper than B's.

I read of one H2D, full interior, stock internals, I/H/E, ended up mid 13's.

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 SuperDork
12/15/09 8:42 a.m.
xci_ed6 wrote: I can't believe the F/H swap hasn't come up yet. I really can't believe I didn't bring it up. You need a D-series tranny (which works well, since that's what the car was designed for, and it has 3 of the 4 engine mounts on it). Bisimoto H2D kit. And an F or H engine. F's are dirt cheap, H's are still way cheaper than B's. I read of one H2D, full interior, stock internals, I/H/E, ended up mid 13's.

Eh... you can turn that up to 11 for pretty cheap.

F23 bottom end, insert K20 Type S pistons, H22a head, H2B conversion with a GSR or B16 transmission. In an EG or EF, that would probably dip low 12s.

http://www.importtuner.com/tech/impp_0902_k24_vtec_versus_g23_vtec_tech_knowledge/index.html

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Bk0bIsfV6YPHdirAnbxrgpjFu0eZhOUnCDOHRiVSBnB6BDQNFm3fcbmIPXBV7jQd