Moparman
Moparman New Reader
7/19/08 10:53 a.m.

I just checked the wear on Kumho V710s (225 50 14) on my DSP Neon and I have noticed that the inside of the tires are wearing more than the outside. Now, on a street driven car, that might seem logical for a car with front alignment specs of Neg 3 camber and 1/8th total toe-out, but the car is autocrossed only.

Could it be that I have too much neg or maybe I am not taking advanatge of the negative camber and driving to easy? This is the first time I have had as much as Neg 3 camber and it is the first time I hav worn the insided more than the outsides. I can confirm this because I still have last year's tires in my garage.

Strizzo
Strizzo Dork
7/19/08 2:01 p.m.

is it driven or trailered to events?

another possibilty is that you have enough spring and swaybar that its not rolling over as much as you expect.

Moparman
Moparman New Reader
7/19/08 2:50 p.m.

Trailered. I have the Performance Driven XX Hi-rates. I only have a Neon Highline 16mm front bar.

RobL
RobL New Reader
7/19/08 9:12 p.m.

Do you have a good diff?

Are you spinning the inside wheel coming out of turns?

Moparman
Moparman New Reader
7/19/08 10:21 p.m.

Quaiffe and no spin.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua Dork
7/19/08 10:33 p.m.

Lots of toe change under acceration or braking? With that much static camber and lots of toe due to suspension deflection you could be dragging the insides of the tires.

RobL
RobL New Reader
7/20/08 7:43 a.m.
Moparman wrote: Quaiffe and no spin.

Then yeah, I'd say that you likely have too much camber. You're running some high spring rates and large bars? You're not getting enough body roll to warrant the amount of static camber you have.

If you can get a pyrometer and set your camber by that, it would be better.

Moparman
Moparman New Reader
7/20/08 9:08 a.m.
RobL wrote:
Moparman wrote: Quaiffe and no spin.
Then yeah, I'd say that you likely have too much camber. You're running some high spring rates and large bars? You're not getting enough body roll to warrant the amount of static camber you have. If you can get a pyrometer and set your camber by that, it would be better.

Small front bar, but very stiff springs. I will dial out some negative camber and go from there. I have never had a problem with having too much camber on a front-wheel-drive car before.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver SuperDork
7/20/08 11:31 a.m.

have you done the shoe polish test?

neon4891
neon4891 HalfDork
7/20/08 11:37 a.m.

225/50/14s? how well does that size work on stock rims?

Moparman
Moparman New Reader
7/20/08 6:49 p.m.
Apexcarver wrote: have you done the shoe polish test?

Not yet. The wear is sufficient proof. The rubber is almost feathered.

Moparman
Moparman New Reader
7/20/08 6:49 p.m.
neon4891 wrote: 225/50/14s? how well does that size work on stock rims?

Not stock wheels. Eight inch wide Diamonds.

iceracer
iceracer New Reader
7/21/08 9:55 a.m.

My Hoosiers on my ZXs/SR do the same. The inside wheel goes to extreme neg camber which depends on the amount of lean and the static setting. I rotate mine every event. which helps. They also can be reversed on the rim to help even the wear. Excess toe out will also have an effect.

jamesp
jamesp New Reader
7/27/08 12:39 a.m.
Moparman wrote: Now, on a street driven car, that might seem logical for a car with

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
GEMPSgYjTcoZ1P6RDm5MotDoltxKc8qSWF80Ctt9NkXiSvOsFnEEcrh2k5KHMzi4