MrLittle
MrLittle New Reader
4/20/16 2:09 p.m.

Am I crazy for wanting to drive my car 6.5 hours to Maryland for a weekend of rallying then drive it home for 6.5 hours? This seems like it would be a blast. Anyone done or planning to do something similar?

Looking for the GRM nudge into a possible bad (or very good) idea!

JtspellS
JtspellS SuperDork
4/20/16 2:27 p.m.

Nope, do it, nothing more then that!

EvanB
EvanB UltimaDork
4/20/16 2:52 p.m.

I drive 5ish hours up to Michigan every year for the 2 day event. I am planning on Maryland this year. For the past 4 years I have driven 8-14 hours to the national championship.

It's worth it.

Desmond
Desmond HalfDork
4/20/16 2:53 p.m.

Just make sure you have spare parts to get you home! Axles, fluids, spare tires, etc.

moxnix
moxnix HalfDork
4/20/16 3:00 p.m.

Do it.

RedGT
RedGT Reader
4/20/16 3:00 p.m.

Go for it!

Frostburg is a unique surface compared to the usual grass/dirt rallycross, make sure you are aware of that.

captdownshift
captdownshift UberDork
4/20/16 3:26 p.m.

Heck it's near 5 hours each way for some people living on the eastern end of the Baltimore and D.C. suburbs to get there and it's their home region. Absolutely go, that's practically in your backyard.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltimaDork
4/20/16 3:31 p.m.

Every rallycross is over three hours for me. Sometimes I go just to hang out.

Knurled
Knurled MegaDork
4/20/16 4:36 p.m.
MrLittle wrote: Am I crazy for wanting to drive my car 6.5 hours to Maryland for a weekend of rallying then drive it home for 6.5 hours? This seems like it would be a blast. Anyone done or planning to do something similar? Looking for the GRM nudge into a possible bad (or very good) idea!

Yes but it's a good kind of crazy.

2 day events are best day events. Show up Friday night, set up tent in the dark, drink beer, wake up Saturday morning, drink coffee and scope the people coming in late, run some cones, drink more beer Saturday night, do it all over again Sunday, get home by midnight maybe.

I've apparently made a Thing of going to the Nationals and last year was my shortest trip ever - left after a full day of work on Thursday, got there Friday at 6am, spent most of Friday and Saturday enjoying the protest process, drove a car on course every now and then, left during the awards ceremony on Sunday, got home at 2am Monday morning.

I think the first year, I took four days off work, last year I only took one and a half. Of course Tulsa is 1000mi away, Indianola is only like 650-700ish.

revrico
revrico Reader
4/20/16 6:37 p.m.

What are the rules for miatas? I forget if I need a hardtop. I didn't realize this was in Frostburg, thats still closer than Pitt Race is. And SCCA thought I should join steel city. Ha.

irish44j
irish44j UltimaDork
4/20/16 6:59 p.m.
MrLittle wrote: Am I crazy for wanting to drive my car 6.5 hours to Maryland for a weekend of rallying then drive it home for 6.5 hours? This seems like it would be a blast. Anyone done or planning to do something similar? Looking for the GRM nudge into a possible bad (or very good) idea!

That's our home venue. Should be a very competitive event and we set up fast courses. Super-cheap hotels less than a mile away, and plenty of local bars (college town). Should be a good time. A half day for testing and two days of competition so should be worth the drive.

And yes, we drove 6 hours to the Great Lakes Divisional Challenge a couple years ago.

rslifkin
rslifkin HalfDork
4/20/16 7:06 p.m.
revrico wrote: What are the rules for miatas? I forget if I need a hardtop. I didn't realize this was in Frostburg, thats still closer than Pitt Race is. And SCCA thought I should join steel city. Ha.

IIRC, hardtop is required to rallyx a Miata.

irish44j
irish44j UltimaDork
4/20/16 7:11 p.m.
revrico wrote: What are the rules for miatas? I forget if I need a hardtop. I didn't realize this was in Frostburg, thats still closer than Pitt Race is. And SCCA thought I should join steel city. Ha.

Yes, you need a FACTORY hardtop.

Frostburg is the extreme western edge of DC region. We run most of our events there and it's a hike for all of us. We're also doing a few events in Northern Va. this year as well.

revrico
revrico Reader
4/20/16 7:21 p.m.

That factory part really sucks, last local one I saw was 1300. Still be fun to go watch. I had just assumed DC region was actually around DC, not less than 2 hours away my house. I'm just trying to branch out and get as much seat time as I can.

Knurled
Knurled MegaDork
4/20/16 7:30 p.m.
revrico wrote: I had just assumed DC region was actually around DC, not less than 2 hours away my house.

Detroit region runs events between 2 and 7 hours away from me, and those two extremes are more or less directly north/south of each other, so they have a 5 hour span.

Perversely, the only ones I ever manage to get to are the ones 7 hours away, because I can only seem to make it up during the winter and they tend to run winter events at their northernmost site.

paranoid_android74
paranoid_android74 SuperDork
4/20/16 8:13 p.m.
EvanB wrote: I drive 5ish hours up to Michigan every year for the 2 day event. I am planning on Maryland this year. For the past 4 years I have driven 8-14 hours to the national championship. It's worth it.

What is this two day event in MI that you speak of?

MrLittle
MrLittle New Reader
4/21/16 5:57 a.m.
paranoid_android74 wrote:
EvanB wrote: I drive 5ish hours up to Michigan every year for the 2 day event. I am planning on Maryland this year. For the past 4 years I have driven 8-14 hours to the national championship. It's worth it.
What is this two day event in MI that you speak of?

http://detroit-scca.org/e107/page.php?12

Looks like it's June 25th-26th.

I may just do this instead as my first multiple day event. This way if I break something I'm not trying to fix it in a different state to get home for work the next week.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
2F9CZaLMnZhP3YpWmF9Yw4czAX1oBQXQiypNlxo5HWOTPDT7DaNQ95hmulW9xtah