1 2
Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
7/2/13 4:57 p.m.

Real hillclimbs = real, full cages.

Anything that doesn't is probably being run as an "autocross on a slight incline".

Ian F
Ian F PowerDork
7/2/13 5:06 p.m.

In reply to Javelin:

I want to agree with you, but I'm not finding a full cage requirement in the current 2013 TT rules that most hillclimbs are run under.

Jim Pettengill
Jim Pettengill HalfDork
7/2/13 5:15 p.m.

Colorado Hill Climb Association has five events scheduled this year. Traditionally these have been dirt, and they have run a rally or open class - think Pikes peak the way it used to be. I think the website is www.chcaracing.com.

Yep, just checked, next event is Land's End on the west side of Grand Mesa, entry fee $300, July 27 - 28. Might be a bit rough for the Targa Miata. . .

EvanB
EvanB PowerDork
7/2/13 5:48 p.m.
Jim Pettengill wrote: Yep, just checked, next event is Land's End on the west side of Grand Mesa, entry fee $300, July 27 - 28. Might be a bit rough for the Targa Miata. . .

That sounds like a challenge.

sachilles
sachilles SuperDork
7/2/13 6:21 p.m.

There are several hillclimb organizations across the US. They all seem to have their own tech requirements. Those rules tend to have evolved from the geography a bit. The ideal hillclimber can be very different depending upon who you run with. NEHA who's events take place in Vermont, does tend to follow rally rules, but still has a lot of circle track roots. Neha excludes some vehicles that are legal in the PA series. Big differences, are that neha requires the drivers feet to behind the plane of the front wheels, and cages need some type front crossbar above the drivers head. This tends to eliminate some formula cars and the like.

coldaudio
coldaudio New Reader
7/2/13 11:25 p.m.

So what's the magic term to search on CL to find myself a decent E30? I never seem to catch them at the right moment. I can probably swing borrowing an E350 + trailer for a day if the car isn't too far from Denver...

Should I bother checking this out? http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/3908033547.html Afraid of what damage may have been done from being hit. It's a 325i, but an automatic :( I'd treat it like a roller at that point.

Ian F
Ian F PowerDork
7/3/13 7:31 a.m.

That looks like a good shell to have around after you ball up your main car, but I don't think I'd buy that car to start a build from 100% scratch. If I were racing an E30 and were local, I'd definitely buy it since you should be able to easily part out the non-race stuff to zero out the investment and still have a clean shell and a spare engine in reserve.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
EADvgSJj9hZ83Bqur4Zd9zJleqeVUac7txM6ksRI2aVdExUlGL5T57rzSLuwtskQ