1 2
Thinkkker
Thinkkker UltraDork
4/23/14 11:33 a.m.

I did the math when we were looking at trucks. It was around 150k for a repayment by what I came up with. Thats figuring the extra for the oil changes diesels have large pans normally and all that. We got a diesel, but we also have a 20k# trailer going on the back thats 13' tall.

My brother looked, but really. If you drive in town, or hwy, dont pull a lot of weight, then you dont need the diesel. Though, its always fun to have more power.

Rusnak_322
Rusnak_322 Dork
4/23/14 12:37 p.m.

I don't get the oil change thing. The powerstroke I had used like 4 or 5 gal of oil at a time, but the oil was dirt cheap compared to car oil. With filter, I think that it was pretty inline with what I was paying for the same job in my old Ram with a 360 using mid priced oil from thewal-mart.

Vigo
Vigo PowerDork
4/23/14 3:14 p.m.

The cheapest diesel oil is not much if any cheaper than the cheapest car oil, especially considering that if you're just shopping bottom of the barrel oil you can just dump the diesel oil in the gas motor too and then it's the SAME price. Ive run a lot of rotella 15-40 through my gas engines.

Apples to apples, you are talking about a less than 20% difference in unit cost and an over 200% difference in the amount you have to buy. Now, that is comparing gas and diesel engines in 3/4-1ton trucks. Im not sure how much oil a 3.0 ecodiesel takes, but it PROBABLY isnt 16 quarts, so the difference is not going to be as large. And, regardless of what anyone says, most people just make up their oil change interval on basis of all sorts of stupid factors they wont actually admit to, so it's basically impossible to compare oil change costs over time between different people.

yamaha
yamaha UltimaDork
4/23/14 3:33 p.m.

In reply to Vigo:

Agreed

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ODKpd8VgsiC4J4OwnYBUUwh3jEaCXvoptu8Kp9o5W4OZQMZ9eEKzz8gNLAS3KZ7B