6 7 8 9
Toyman!
Toyman! MegaDork
12/5/23 3:55 p.m.

In reply to z31maniac :

I keep somewhere between $200 and $2000 in my pocket at all times because as I said, any small business gets paid in cash. When I get low, I stop by the bank and pull another couple of grand. 

I can't hide mine either so I don't even try. I certainly don't mind if everyone else in this country does and am willing to help them in any way I can. While I love my country, I do not like anything about my government. It is a useless pig that should be starved until it's controllable. 

And with that, I'm out. 

Thanks for playing. 

brandonsmash
brandonsmash New Reader
12/5/23 3:57 p.m.

I still deal a fair bit in cash; that doesn't seem odd to me. I buy firearms from private sellers, and those transactions are always conducted in cash. 

Not to mention, I travel internationally with some frequency and it's always good to have some US dollars as well as local currency in the wallet. 

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
12/5/23 4:05 p.m.
z31maniac said:

We went to an amazing Indian/Nepalese restaurant the other day for their Friday lunch buffet. They have a big sign on the register that says "5% discount for cash." I thought that was pretty amusing.

That is fairly common around here.

The Sushi restaurant PW favours offers 10% off for cash. We always bring cash

03Panther
03Panther PowerDork
12/5/23 4:36 p.m.

I remember in about 1989, a friend had moved out of the apartment he was in; had me move the motorcycle he had in the parking space. Went in office to settle up the few dollars he owed. $48 and some change. He pulled out a $50... "ah, sir. We can't take cash" ... WHAT? 
It's only gotten worse. 
I remember bad Sci-fi books in the '70s (and before) predicting this...

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
12/5/23 5:49 p.m.

If you think its bad how many businesses dont take cash anymore, then youll love hearing the nuclear meltdowns the kids brains go thru when trying to  get them to make cash change...if something is $19.25, and I hand them a $20 and a quarter, they divide by zero and carry the pi and we end up in an alternate universe...

03Panther
03Panther PowerDork
12/5/23 6:22 p.m.

In reply to 4cylndrfury :

Yep!!!!

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
12/5/23 6:22 p.m.
4cylndrfury said:

If you think its bad how many businesses dont take cash anymore, then youll love hearing the nuclear meltdowns the kids brains go thru when trying to  get them to make cash change...if something is $19.25, and I hand them a $20 and a quarter, they divide by zero and carry the pi and we end up in an alternate universe...

When I worked at QT in high school (started there in 1998 at 16 years old), they taught us how to properly count back change. The machines didn't even have an option to enter what you were given and calculate it for you. 

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
12/5/23 9:45 p.m.

In reply to ish_da :

You can change all your account and transaction limits in the app.  The pain is less than a minute.

RaabTheSaab
RaabTheSaab Reader
12/5/23 10:09 p.m.

Wow. I'm either very brave or very stupid. I always bring cash to private party deals. Anything from a $100 vintage wristwatch to $10k for one of our DDs. My thoughts are (valid or not) that having cash on hand buys stronger negotiating powers. But otherwise I can't remember that last time I carried cash on me on a daily basis. 

Datsun240ZGuy
Datsun240ZGuy MegaDork
12/5/23 10:34 p.m.

In reply to 4cylndrfury :

I did similar and pulled out the quarter 10 seconds later and the cashier said it was too late as they already punched the $20 amount into the register and couldn't accept it.  

I tried to explain the concept and I was shut down.  It was very odd as I then felt like the swindler guy in the Paper Moon movie. 

03Panther
03Panther PowerDork
12/6/23 9:26 a.m.

In reply to z31maniac :

I've been to the counter of a QT that far back... they probably taught that there also... but many did not learn it, despite being taught. 
I suspect that you know how, before sittin in on that particular lesson laugh

wae
wae PowerDork
12/6/23 9:33 a.m.

I paid for my $8.whatever burrito at Chipotle a few years ago with a twenty.  The cashier flipped out when she hit the $10 button instead of the $20 button on the register and - I defecate you negatorily - pulled out a calculator to determine what my new change should be.

ddavidv
ddavidv UltimaDork
12/6/23 11:59 a.m.

I defecate you negatorily 

Repeated because awesome and clever.

03Panther
03Panther PowerDork
12/6/23 12:01 p.m.

In reply to ddavidv :

Never heard that wording - love it!

wae
wae PowerDork
12/6/23 12:04 p.m.

In reply to ddavidv :

I can't take credit for that - the host of one of the podcasts I listen to uses that phrase from time to time and it stuck with me.

Toyman!
Toyman! MegaDork
12/6/23 12:13 p.m.

You guys might consider that if the person was better at math, they probably wouldn't be behind the cash register working at a fast food or retail establishment and give the people a bit of a break. Instead of being asses about it, give them the time to do what they need to do to be good at the job they have.

You also might consider being glad they are working and contributing to society instead of living on the dole. 

Just a thought. 

RevRico
RevRico MegaDork
12/6/23 12:32 p.m.
RaabTheSaab said:

Wow. I'm either very brave or very stupid. I always bring cash to private party deals. Anything from a $100 vintage wristwatch to $10k for one of our DDs. My thoughts are (valid or not) that having cash on hand buys stronger negotiating powers. But otherwise I can't remember that last time I carried cash on me on a daily basis. 

It is absolutely amazing how fast prices can change when you start lining $100 bills up on the hood of a car. Not getting that with a card or a wire transfer. 

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
12/6/23 1:06 p.m.

In reply to RevRico :

Especially when you also brought another driver along with you and can make the exchange and drive away with the car right now.

Seller never has to deal with another buyer or any other additional work.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
12/6/23 1:08 p.m.
RevRico said:
RaabTheSaab said:

It is absolutely amazing how fast prices can change when you start lining $100 bills up on the hood of a car. Not getting that with a card or a wire transfer. 

Can't line up $100 bills in front of someone when you are having a car shipped or doing a fly and drive. 

Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos)
Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) MegaDork
12/6/23 1:12 p.m.

In reply to Toyman! :

Truth. More than that, it's a teaching moment if you approach it gently and without hostility. We gotta lift others up.

docwyte
docwyte UltimaDork
12/7/23 9:00 a.m.

In reply to RevRico :

Yeah, not for me.  I try and price my stuff reasonably, money is money.  It's not like telling me "But I've got cash!" is going to change that and make me decide to accept significantly less than what I want...

ShawnG
ShawnG MegaDork
12/7/23 9:56 a.m.

I once had a guy make a 4 hour drive to buy a car from me. We had an agreed upon price ahead of time.

He showed up and tried to work me down on the price.

He then had to drive all the way home again without the car he came for.

I hope he learned but I doubt it.

Racebrick
Racebrick HalfDork
12/7/23 10:15 a.m.
ShawnG said:

I once had a guy make a 4 hour drive to buy a car from me. We had an agreed upon price ahead of time.

Sometimes those transactions are more satisfying than selling a car.

RevRico
RevRico MegaDork
12/7/23 10:19 a.m.
z31maniac said:
RevRico said:
RaabTheSaab said:

Can't line up $100 bills in front of someone when you are having a car shipped or doing a fly and drive. 

Most certainly could on a fly and drive, but since I could never afford either of those options, they don't apply to me. I also would never buy a car over challenge money I hadn't driven, which eliminates those options as well.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
12/7/23 10:28 a.m.
Racebrick said:
ShawnG said:

Sometimes those transactions are more satisfying than selling a car.

But not as satisfying as lighting it on fire in the driveway in front of said lowballer.

6 7 8 9

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
tPt4Ch0W3k03LfhB7Auaap0Nre88OVgTQZf7jE6UzNH4ThC1LWYj72oTYZqA113D