orphancars
orphancars New Reader
3/7/09 3:29 p.m.

So, after a loooong hiatus from autocrossing, I think I'll be trying to do some events this year.

First on the list is a set of wheels and tires. What are the good tires today?

The car in question will be a Pontiac Fiero with a V8, LSD, coilovers, Koni rear struts and Carrera front shocks.

I know I can fall into EM easily, but the car is a street car, over 2500 pounds. What is this SM/SM2 thing? Last time I autox'd, SM, STS, and FSP weren't a part of the classing structure

Thanks in advance,

-jeff d

'86 Fiero GT/V8

'73 TVR 2500M

'77 Puma GTE

jrw1621
jrw1621 HalfDork
3/7/09 4:18 p.m.

I am not sure of the answer but I can provide some links that may be helpful.
2009 Rules:
http://cms.scca.com/documents/Solo_Rules/2009_Solo_Rules.pdf

FAQ's
http://cms.scca.com/documents/Solo%20Rules/Solo_FAQ.pdf
Which state:
Street Modified – This is the top tier of the “street” classes. This class allows engine swaps as long as the engine is made by the same manufacturer as the car. You may also add turbo/superchargers, camshaft upgrades, and any suspension upgrades as long as it uses the factory attachment points.

What V8 do you have in the Fiero?

Goldmember
Goldmember Reader
3/7/09 4:25 p.m.

As long as the V-8 in question is a GM product, you should fall into the SM2 catagory. You need to have all the interior crap, trim, carpet, headliner, etc., other than that you sound legit.

Good competition tires, that could be a thread all to itself.

In no particular order, and in some cases no experience other than second hand "reviews":

street/auto-X

Bridgestone RE-1/RE-11 Falken Azenis RT-615 Dunlop Direzza Star-spec Hankook RS-2

Track/auto-X

Toyo RA-1/R-888 Nitto NT-01 Hankook Z-214 in C-45 compound

Dedicated Auto-X Khumo V-710 Hoosier A-6 Hankook Z-214 in softer(C-70 I think?)compound

Tire life varies quite a bit, but those are some of the big contenders. Check prices on which type you are interested in and ask the rest of the community their oppinions.

How about some pics? V-8 fieros are teh sweetness

bigwrench
bigwrench Reader
3/7/09 4:29 p.m.

All I ever heard about them was front brakes. All v8 I saw they were hard to get around a tight course.

orphancars
orphancars New Reader
3/7/09 5:41 p.m.

Thanks for all of the responses!!

jrw1621: Thanks for the linky to the SCCA rulebook. From a quick glance, it looks like I'll just be content to stay in EM. I completely redid the interior -- all that remains is the steering column, the HVAC controls, and the door handles -- everything else has been redone/replaced. Had to. Fiero interiors are the pinnacle of 80's suck!

I also modified the chassis somewhat to get the '88 rear suspension into my '86. So I guess EM will be good for now.

jrw1621: I have the Small block chevy V8. Not too original of a swap, but it suits the car just fine

Goldmember: Thanks for the tire listing. I might just jump down to the dedicated auto-x list and work from there. I used to run on Yoko and BFG's back in the day. I don't see BFG on your list, BTW -- I see from Tire Rack that they do have an "R" compound tire -- any reason why it didn't make the list?

bigwrench: No worries on the brakes -- went to 12" rotors and C4 calipers all the way around. It doesn't stop, it STOP!s now

To "read more about it" on the Fiero, go here:

http://orphancars.com/fiero.html

thanks again for all the responses!

-jeff d

Apexcarver
Apexcarver SuperDork
3/7/09 11:41 p.m.

the basic thing is if you want to be close to competitive there are only 2 Rcomps. Khumo V710's and Hoosier A6. consensus i have heard is that the khumos are cheaper and last longer and the hoosiers have a bit more out and out speed. (both get nationals titles)Neither of these tires are at all suited for the street, dont expect them to last all that long (its going to depend on how many events you do and how you drive it).

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
snSkPknuPv2wnrDdgE7cftGYNBDxNxC5jortC40vb2QuHakUENzBaCvO09Geh0zw