1 2 3
Harvey
Harvey SuperDork
7/10/24 10:48 a.m.

Do people over 6 feet tall find they don't fit in a C5 Corvette? I'm 6'1" and I fit fine with a helmet on, but that said I'm all leg and have a relatively short torso.

A friend has the Boss 302 of this generation and it is such a great car, lots of fun even without an IRS. With the optional exhaust ports open the thing sounds amazing.

Harvey
Harvey SuperDork
7/10/24 11:31 a.m.
Fair said:

My comments about the 4.6L 3V engine come across as a bit harsh. These engines that came in the 2005-10 GT aren't bad, just down 100 hp over the Coyote cars.

With the right mods they can still be competitive. One of my former employees Jon B had this 2006 GT and added MCS coilovers, 18x11" wheels, 315mm tires, and a handful of the other mods we mentioned in JA's article. He dominated CAM-C class locally for an entire season, winning every event in Texas Region SCCA. He even ran well in Optima with it.

This was the same car before the coilovers - with popular lowering springs and the K-branded adjustable dampers. Well after 6 months two shocks were blown and it was a rolly polly mess. The spring rates and soft dampers just killed it.

The spring rate (and damper) change was DRAMATIC - it always is. Even with much more mechanical grip from the 315mm tires the car cornered flatter and didn't do the extreme brake dive thing that stock S197s do. Again - don't throw your 4.6L GT away if you have one, they can still be fun. smiley

CAM-C has a fantastic PAX.

kevinatfms
kevinatfms HalfDork
7/10/24 11:58 a.m.
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) said:

$1500??? Talk about stealing it... surprise

Cousin of my brother in law had it in front of his house. City didnt like the "condition" of the car and issued him a fine and were getting ready to tow it within 30 days if not moved(see sticker on driver window). So he needed it gone ASAP. 

I didnt even know about it until my brother in law asked if i wanted a cheap Mustang. 

engineered
engineered New Reader
8/22/24 12:56 p.m.
jonthewick said:

I have absolutely loved my S197.  Incredibly reliable considering the abuse of hundreds of autox runs, some trips to the drag strip and tail of the dragon.  More parts options than you could ever sort through so use experts like Terry and Sam Strano.  You can get a 4.6L to about 380 HP but it's probably cheaper to do a coyote swap.  Mine tipped the scale at 3195 lbs with a half tank at its lightest but that has required significant investment but hey it's lighter than almost every modern performance car for a lot less than buying something new.

what mods did you do to lose so much weight?

akylekoz
akylekoz UberDork
8/22/24 1:27 p.m.

I could be convinced to sell mine for the right price...slightly more than I think it's worth.

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/build-projects-and-project-cars/making-a-crowd-chaser-age-appropriate-and-track-re/154024/page1/

Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter)
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
8/22/24 2:18 p.m.
akylekoz said:

I could be convinced to sell mine for the right price...slightly more than I think it's worth.

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/build-projects-and-project-cars/making-a-crowd-chaser-age-appropriate-and-track-re/154024/page1/

Everything's for sale, right? Mine is sorted and nice and I've been driving it all summer. But there's always something new around the corner... laugh

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito UltimaDork
8/22/24 3:26 p.m.

This thread is also making me want a Mustang. Thanks a lot, guys! laugh

Although I prefer the looks of the 2015+ cars, the 2011-14 GTs are great cars and often overlooked. I have a friend with a 2011 that he's had since new, and I've had some seat time in it. That Coyote V8 is really something. It makes power all over the place on-demand! I also found that I could see out of it and get comfortable easily, which is not something I could do in the Camaro (Challenger is even better in this respect for my large 'Merican carcass). The 2005-09 cars also seem like a bargain right now and I think they will dip even more in the next few years. It will be interesting to see when the 2015+ cars start hitting that sweet, sweet depreciation curve, as I really dig those cars. 

I did have another friend with a 2013 V6 car with the Performance Package that had all sorts of issues with it. I think he went through two engines in less than 100k miles. Maybe it was bad luck, but his experience soured me on those personally. 

Spearfishin
Spearfishin Reader
8/24/24 8:30 a.m.

A lot of our work fleet (2019+ F150's) with the 5.0 burn oil at a rate high enough that the white tailgates get soot stained as the miles pile on. 

Is that "a thing" and if so, does it apply to mustangs? What years?

WesDuenkel
WesDuenkel
9/28/24 8:34 p.m.

Shameless plug for my book dedicated to modifying these cars: https://www.wesduenkel.com/store/ford-mustang-2011-2014-how-to-build-modify

J_D
J_D New Reader
9/28/24 9:22 p.m.

I am Canadian but I can feel the North American in me rising. 

I have a Civic Type R daily .... maybe it needs a Murian' brother?

akylekoz
akylekoz UberDork
9/30/24 7:21 a.m.

Here is why these cars rock.  Mine sat for two years, pulled it out gave it a wash and fresh fuel.   Drove an hour to the track, played all day, set a PR on eight year old tires (in the 1:50 club now) then drove home.   20 MPG at 80MPH.  34k miles on it now, at this rate it will be a low mileage antique.

RacingComputers
RacingComputers HalfDork
9/30/24 8:52 a.m.

Yes they are

ENJOY

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
hoxGrU6LpSgzj5SRJ8bVThmdD3K4vOzKq7koTF9e3mDNcwzDIvb8l3cl9A89uKbD