Ranger50
Ranger50 MegaDork
2/2/22 8:03 p.m.

Then come to find out you can't buy them in the USA.

Its apparently called a Ram 700 based on a fiat strata. 

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
2/2/22 8:12 p.m.

If they can federalize it, maybe they'll bring it here to compete with the Maverick.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
2/2/22 8:42 p.m.

There's one in my neighborhood. I almast broke my berkin neck eyeballing it the first time it went by. Its rad, even though its almost everything I hate automotively in one car.

Nitroracer (Forum Supporter)
Nitroracer (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
2/2/22 10:29 p.m.

I think the Ford Maverick has opened the door for a lot more unibody Utes to start showing up.   The demand is there. The Ridgeline was first, but still a bit larger, and the Hyundai Santa Cruz straddles the middle ground between the Ford and Honda.  

Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter)
Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
2/3/22 12:22 p.m.

GM has a similar thing in South America, it's even a proper 2 door!

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
2/3/22 12:43 p.m.

Hyundai makes one available here.  Called a Santa Cruz.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
2/3/22 12:56 p.m.

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=http%3A%2F%2Fs2.quickmeme.com%2Fimg%2F90%2F90cb19a687bdfd775fe8dc122d86610c06acd2a9d7f6c57d3765a5c7f13c3880.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

newrider3
newrider3 HalfDork
2/3/22 1:44 p.m.

I live near a popular route that manufacturers use for mountain drive testing, so I see some interesting things on the road occasionally.

While not as neat as the 2dr Fiat based ute, a couple months ago I did see a double-cab Peugeot midsize-ish pickup sporting Michigan MFG plates. Could potentially be a future offering from whatever we're calling Dodge/Chrysler these days.

Ranger50
Ranger50 MegaDork
2/3/22 3:37 p.m.

In reply to 914Driver :

Ew.

Driven5
Driven5 UberDork
2/3/22 3:44 p.m.
eastsideTim said:

If they can federalize it, maybe they'll bring it here to compete with the Maverick.

That's like saying maybe Suzuki will bring the Jimny here to compete with the Bronco.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
2/3/22 5:47 p.m.
Nitroracer (Forum Supporter) said:

I think the Ford Maverick has opened the door for a lot more unibody Utes to start showing up.   The demand is there. The Ridgeline was first, but still a bit larger, and the Hyundai Santa Cruz straddles the middle ground between the Ford and Honda.  

The Explorer Sport Trac beat the Ridgeline to market by five years, they are almost identical in size.

More like, Honda said "Hey, we can do that by sticking a Pilot front on an Odyssey,  and we can make it better by replacing the folding seats with compartment spaces".

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
2/3/22 5:54 p.m.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
2/4/22 9:19 a.m.
Ranger50 said:

In reply to 914Driver :

Ew.

Just a messenger ....

mtn
mtn MegaDork
2/4/22 10:47 a.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

The Explorer Sport Trac beat the Ridgeline to market by five years, they are almost identical in size.

More like, Honda said "Hey, we can do that by sticking a Pilot front on an Odyssey,  and we can make it better by replacing the folding seats with compartment spaces".

Sport Trac bed size is tiny, and it doesn't have any of the storage that the Ridgeline has. I think it is 12 or 15 inches shoter than the Ridgeline. 

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo UltraDork
2/4/22 1:57 p.m.

Sport Trac is proper body-on-frame with a separate cab and bed and straight axle rear and is more of a 4 door ranger than a Ute.  They are pretty cool in concept but a bit frumpy in execution.  

The Chevy Avalance was released the same year as the Sport Trac, slightly different as its a unitized body but still full frame and a proper straight axle

The Ridgeline is minivan/front wheel drive based and is definitely a lighter duty option than its truck based bretheren.  More of a Faux-wheeler than anything.  

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
2/4/22 2:02 p.m.

In reply to 93gsxturbo :

I'd trust the Honda automatic looooong before the 5R55 laugh

rslifkin
rslifkin UberDork
2/4/22 2:04 p.m.

In reply to 93gsxturbo :

Yeah, the Sport Trac was basically just a Ranger with a bigger cab and tiny bed dressed to look more like an Explorer with the back chopped off. 

spacecadet (Forum Supporter)
spacecadet (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
2/4/22 3:09 p.m.

I think the Ford Maverick has opened the door for a lot more unibody Utes to start showing up.   The demand is there

AT THE RIGHT PRICE POINT,

Also, Honda figrued out the less wierd they made it, the more successful it would be.

The Ridgeline looks like a truck.

The Maverick looks like a truck.

Making a small and fuel efficient truck that doesn't suck to own is the key, but Honda has now priced the Ridgeline into the clouds.. and the Maverick is going to destroy all in sales numbers if Ford can keep up with demand because it's so cheap (for a new car)

Nitroracer (Forum Supporter)
Nitroracer (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
2/4/22 10:19 p.m.

I stumbled across this today, and it is relevant to the title of this thread.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
2/4/22 11:22 p.m.

In reply to Nitroracer (Forum Supporter) :

Oh, that's rad.

rslifkin
rslifkin UberDork
2/5/22 10:49 a.m.

In reply to Nitroracer (Forum Supporter) :

That...  Looks a lot less bad than it probably should. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
86eKsWi0WdqJOvnCP7MiFS7R2OAHUKCJBmr7jAs6ES13XAeLrDSjx1jkjrR2owCi