AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
9/18/23 2:21 p.m.

I used to live 90 minutes from rallycross.  I won stock AWD two years in a row.  I would drive there, get in 6-10 runs, drive home and had a blast.  I'd like to think I didn't suck at it.  It was the most fun I've ever had driving a car.  

Them we moved.  I'm now 6 hrs away or 5.5 hrs to a different place I've never driven at.  There is another place also 6 hrs away I have driven at too.  

I currently have an 18 Si as a daily driver and it's an awesome DD.  I have a Miata I do not drive enough that should be driven more.  I also have an OBS SWB truck that I can get running again.

Bottom line I want to sell my fully caged and certified rally car I've never used and go back to stock AWD.  I also want to be rid of a car payment.  My wife has a 22 Tahoe and even with 40% cash down it's a big payment.  

I can drive the Miata to work on nice days (75 miles one way).  It's a gorgeous drive though.  Almost half is in a National Park.  Another 1/3 is on backroads.  Top down on it is awesome.

I'm thinking of selling my Civic and getting a 1999-2001 Porsche Carrera 4.  I can drive it, autocross it and rallycross it in stock form.  I know the cars are maintenance intensive and I have a lead on a spare engine.  I also have the Miata and OBS as backups.  

Everyone knows I think different than many of you here on a variety of things.  That's why I want your input!  

I know the C4 will need a Bluetooth radio for hands free calls and podcasting, etc.  The Miata has one.  It's older but works.  The OBS has one that needs installed.  

What do you think?  

dannyp84
dannyp84 HalfDork
9/18/23 3:57 p.m.

"Bottom line I want to sell my fully caged and certified rally car I've never used .." 

If you've never used it at all, meaning you've never even gotten to experience what it's like, I'd lean toward at least trying it out once just so that down the road you don't regret getting rid of it without trying, even if you ultimately move on from it. I'm moving in the other direction, where I just got a dedicated non-street legal race car for SCCA racing and track days, and the stuff I drive on the street I want to optimize as just street cars, not have to pull double duty. Is there a payment on the Civic or just the Tahoe? You might have more fun rallying the Civic than an older P-car, you'd definitely spend more time driving and less time wrenching. Do you enjoy the Civic? My friends and I run an 06 Civic Si in champcar, the character of the motor is absolutely lovable, the fwd architecture not so much..

Slippery
Slippery PowerDork
9/18/23 4:11 p.m.

You want to sell your rally car + Civic, with that money pay off the Tahoe + 911 C4?

I say do it ... not sure it will help with the distance situation to rallyx, but you are getting rid of a car payment and the car you are looking at getting will make you happy. You can split dd duties between the Miata and Porsche, might spend a tiny bit more on gas but you have no car payments, which I also hate.

calteg
calteg SuperDork
9/18/23 6:33 p.m.

Depreciation on the Tahoe will be your biggest expense, provided the 911 motor doesn't immediately grenade.

Keep the miata, try and talk Mrs. Anthony into something closer to the bottom of the depreciation curve. Use the difference to buy your rally car

CyberEric
CyberEric Dork
9/18/23 7:18 p.m.

I can't think of any problem I would want to solve with a Porsche. 

I think I would sell the rally car and Civic, and DD the Miata.

Tom1200
Tom1200 PowerDork
9/18/23 7:26 p.m.

I'm all for cutting expenses but a 911 rarely fits that bill.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
9/18/23 7:28 p.m.

Drive the rally car.  Wear headphones or earmuffs.

For style points, drive on the rally tires so you don't have to bring a jack and tires and stuff.

9/18/23 7:47 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

Drive the rally car.  Wear headphones or earmuffs.

For style points, drive on the rally tires so you don't have to bring a jack and tires and stuff.

LOL but that's a heck to the neaux.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
9/18/23 7:56 p.m.

In reply to AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) :

Sanity's a little box

Driving a prominent GRM member's ex-Challenge turbo Neon from Omaha to Cleveland on gravel tires, because the exhaust disintegrated on RX-7 and this was the quiet option

9/18/23 8:31 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

In reply to AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) :

Sanity's a little box

Driving a prominent GRM member's ex-Challenge turbo Neon from Omaha to Cleveland on gravel tires, because the exhaust disintegrated on RX-7 and this was the quiet option

That is kinda epic, but I couldn't do that often.  I'm looking to rack up some miles and events.  

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
9/19/23 9:43 a.m.

I posted in your wtb, but I think rally crossing a 996C4 is a horrible idea.  The awd system in it sucks, it has no ground clearance and that motor is fragile when used in motorsports.  Auto-x?  Sure but then the C2 is a better choice.  Rally cross?  No.

9/19/23 11:55 a.m.
docwyte said:

I posted in your wtb, but I think rally crossing a 996C4 is a horrible idea.  The awd system in it sucks, it has no ground clearance and that motor is fragile when used in motorsports.  Auto-x?  Sure but then the C2 is a better choice.  Rally cross?  No.

I saw.  I know of only one way to find out.  

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
61CaEIKASKEEiD7vpe5rDZzeo9BUzvG00Kl1qzWXYSW3QNwN9woMyhWhq9j1JaDV