1 2 3
The_Jed
The_Jed UltraDork
8/16/13 8:57 a.m.

Instant drool even though, short of winning the lottery, I'll never buy a new car.

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy SuperDork
8/16/13 10:32 a.m.

smaller...... I'm listening

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
8/16/13 10:46 a.m.

I saw the smaller/lighter on numerous websites/news feeds. 400 pounds for the V8/MT6. That'd be a 3,200Lb car if they are telling the truth. Put that in your pipe and smoke it! Shorter by 11-12" as well.

Price up by 10% though.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua PowerDork
8/16/13 10:50 a.m.

Flat plane crank? The LSx sounded crappy compared to a "normal" Ford v8. This will make it sound almost embarrassing.

The_Jed
The_Jed SuperDork
8/16/13 11:04 a.m.

Hopefully the rumors are true and hopefully it'll drive down the price of the archaic, solid axle equipped models.

I was wondering if there would be an end in sight as the Mustangs were continuing to creep up dangerously close to 4,000 lbs. It's actually rather surprising how similar my Mark VII is, as far as outer dimensions and weight go, to a new Mustang.

dyintorace
dyintorace UberDork
8/16/13 11:15 a.m.
MrJoshua wrote: Flat plane crank? The LSx sounded crappy compared to a "normal" Ford v8. This will make it sound almost embarrassing.

LOL. The few flat plane crank LSx videos I've seen sounded very cool. Not Ferrari V8 cool, but neat nonetheless. It will be interesting to hear what the Ford V8 sounds like, if the rumors are true.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce Dork
8/16/13 11:27 a.m.

400 lbs less, 12 inches shorter, and the kind of power that they make now? This is very interesting indeed.

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
8/16/13 11:48 a.m.

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/08/15/next-ford-mustang-drop-400-pounds/

The Ford Mustang is already the lightest of the current crop of muscle cars, at around 3,600 pounds for a GT coupe with the six-speed manual transmission. That's almost 260 pounds less than a Chevrolet Camaro SS and about 450 pounds less than a Dodge Challenger R/T, which means the Mustang has a pretty big advantage when it comes to handling, braking, accelerating and economy. More good news: The next Mustang will be even lighter. According to a report from Edmunds, the sixth-generation Mustang, which is set to debut at the 2014 North American International Auto Show, will shed an additional 400 pounds of body fat. That 11-percent weight reduction will be thanks to lightweight materials, with a particular focus on using stronger, but less material in construction. The other big news is that the new Mustang will be smaller overall. It's going to be 15-inches shorter than the 188.5-inch Mustang on sale today, while it'll also be 6.5 inches narrower. Shorter overhangs, both in the front and rear, are also good signs for those that want an agile Mustang.

Damn.

z31maniac
z31maniac PowerDork
8/16/13 11:53 a.m.

And if they stay with the Coyote, I'd expect power to be up from 420hp to at least the 450hp range (BOSS 302 was 444 I believe).

Ford sells the "Aluminator" crate engine with forged internals and big cams that makes 500+ on a good tune.

God I miss Mustang...........quit dropping money in the '90 and just have a dual-duty car that sees the track a few times a year instead of 12+?

fasted58
fasted58 PowerDork
8/16/13 11:58 a.m.

I like the size and interior room of my '05 S197, fits me ideally. Had my eye on a '12 Coyote too, still want one... but this changes everything.

ransom
ransom UltraDork
8/16/13 12:03 p.m.

I hope this is true. The concept of a significant reduction in size and weight is just so right...

Admittedly, I'm not likely to be in the market when it launches.

novaderrik
novaderrik UberDork
8/16/13 4:30 p.m.

the Camaro is also going on a diet when the new car comes out, and Challenger owners don't care that their car is a bloated overweight pig since it's actually a full size car, anyways..

Knurled
Knurled UberDork
8/16/13 4:48 p.m.

Wow.

bmw88rider
bmw88rider Reader
8/16/13 8:04 p.m.

If the rumors are anywhere close to true, I'll be looking at my new car in a year. Even at 3300-3400 LB, that is great especially with a coyote under the hood.

plance1
plance1 Dork
8/16/13 8:13 p.m.
The_Jed wrote: Hopefully the rumors are true and hopefully it'll drive down the price of the archaic, solid axle equipped models. I was wondering if there would be an end in sight as the Mustangs were continuing to creep up dangerously close to 4,000 lbs. It's actually rather surprising how similar my Mark VII is, as far as outer dimensions and weight go, to a new Mustang.

Im a big fan of LSC Lincolns, I cruise the internet looking for them for some reason, maybe thats because of the Lincoln racecar that I saw a few issues back...

CLH
CLH Reader
8/16/13 9:34 p.m.

This, if true, would put the Mustang right smack in the middle of the size/weight sweet-spot currently occupied by the 370Z, but with more power and torque. Very nice, and very interesting. Someone at Ford has been using the 'ol noggin. Fingers crossed.

neon4891
neon4891 UltimaDork
8/16/13 9:55 p.m.

Fingers crossed indeed.

Knurled
Knurled UberDork
8/16/13 11:30 p.m.
CLH wrote: This, if true, would put the Mustang right smack in the middle of the size/weight sweet-spot currently occupied by the 370Z, but with more power and torque. Very nice, and very interesting. Someone at Ford has been using the 'ol noggin. Fingers crossed.

I'm sure it has a lot to do with the fact that they want to sell Mustangs overseas. A new GT may shame an M3 but it's still a huge car.

Racer1ab
Racer1ab Dork
8/16/13 11:46 p.m.

In reply to Knurled:

And yet it's nearly the same size as an M3.

petegossett
petegossett UberDork
8/17/13 6:31 a.m.

With the smaller size, will they restyle it to look like a modernized Mustang II? That's one of my favorite Mustang body styles, and it sounds like it would be appropriate. Well, except for the fact that this car doesn't sound like it's going to suck compared to the previous model...

The_Jed
The_Jed SuperDork
8/17/13 9:00 a.m.
plance1 wrote:
The_Jed wrote: Hopefully the rumors are true and hopefully it'll drive down the price of the archaic, solid axle equipped models. I was wondering if there would be an end in sight as the Mustangs were continuing to creep up dangerously close to 4,000 lbs. It's actually rather surprising how similar my Mark VII is, as far as outer dimensions and weight go, to a new Mustang.
Im a big fan of LSC Lincolns, I cruise the internet looking for them for some reason, maybe thats because of the Lincoln racecar that I saw a few issues back...

Trade you for the quadravan!

yamaha
yamaha PowerDork
8/17/13 12:08 p.m.

This was brought up when the '11 came about......should the stick to the status quo or get competitive with foreign competition. Let's face it, the mustang will almost always sell.....and sell well.

noddaz
noddaz HalfDork
8/17/13 1:48 p.m.

Looks a little chunky to me...

kanaric
kanaric Reader
8/18/13 3:35 a.m.

hopefully with these changes the price doesn't explode. The great thing about the mustang right now is that it's comparatively cheap.

HiTempguy
HiTempguy UltraDork
8/18/13 2:09 p.m.

I'd like to point out that if a base model corvette can sell for ~$50kcdn, these should be darn cheap IMO.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
6rJEBEyY5za8Bmf0bSR0EnZhTGlzySieaQhgwzFGJTnZztpHshpeCJEeHaE1B43l