Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
3/3/20 12:42 p.m.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/n0gtIv1c5T4

Supposedly, all you need to run an 8-second quarter mile at Bahrain International Circuit drag strip is a Porsche 911 Turbo S and tuned ECU.

Watch more videos

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory PowerDork
3/3/20 12:54 p.m.

It seems he was pedaling it off the line (or bogging).

I bet he's capable of a 1.5-6 0-60.

Ransom
Ransom UltimaDork
3/3/20 12:56 p.m.

It's unlike the staff at GRM to post kanoos on their own forum... cheeky

(I have no explanation for my attempt at humor except that the Porsche melted my brain)

fatallightning
fatallightning Reader
3/3/20 12:58 p.m.

I don't think they were implying the only mod was a tune. I'm sure it's at the very least on bigger twins.

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) UltimaDork
3/3/20 1:15 p.m.
ebonyandivory said:

It seems he was pedaling it off the line (or bogging).

I bet he's capable of a 1.5-6 0-60.

I'd assume that's what launch control says is fastest.  AWD and rear engine makes for pretty astonishing amounts of traction.

AnthonyGS
AnthonyGS Dork
3/3/20 1:31 p.m.

It's Bahrain.....  the culture has decided safety is a non-issue.  I've had it explained to me along with many other things like the multi-wife thing, but I'm not sure about all of it.

_
_ Dork
3/3/20 1:50 p.m.

In reply to AnthonyGS :

Ah, brohrain. The last land of men. 

ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
3/3/20 2:15 p.m.

Man, that thing really wanted that center line, didn't it?

Vigo
Vigo MegaDork
3/3/20 2:25 p.m.

I don't think that's as boggy as it looks. The recorder says 1.42 60'. I think it's just not possible to spin 4 sticky tires with rear-weight-biased awd and a light motor, so your only launch option that doesn't involve dropping half your rpm is to slip the hell out of the clutch with 800 hp going across it. When you're already doing 1.4 60' id say the cost/return ratio on that is poor. 

Saron81
Saron81 Reader
3/3/20 2:27 p.m.

There are fast ones around here too. 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
3/3/20 2:50 p.m.
fatallightning said:

I don't think they were implying the only mod was a tune. I'm sure it's at the very least on bigger twins.

You can tell the exhaust isn't stock as well. 

I'm sure bigger churbos, catless downpipes, intake, etc. 

PT_SHO
PT_SHO New Reader
3/3/20 5:27 p.m.

In reply to AnthonyGS :

NHRA booted the Demon for going faster than 10 without a cage I think, so this would be well under that mark and would require one here as well.  Couldn't see one in the video as the car has the drug dealer tint goin' on.

That is some SERIOUS launch.  Wonder how fast those guys at Street Outlaws are?  Of course this is a prepped track, and can't tell if the car has drag slicks or not.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
3/3/20 5:29 p.m.
AnthonyGS said:

It's Bahrain.....  the culture has decided safety is a non-issue.  I've had it explained to me along with many other things like the multi-wife thing, but I'm not sure about all of it.

It's the whole "if Allah wills it" thing as I remember it. Had the same story about saudi Arabia. 

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
3/3/20 8:16 p.m.

I've been to Bahrain many times.  Garden spot of the Persian Gulf.  That's because you can buy whiskey there.  And P cars, apparently.

AnthonyGS
AnthonyGS Dork
3/3/20 8:17 p.m.
Mndsm said:
AnthonyGS said:

It's the whole "if Allah wills it" thing as I remember it. Had the same story about saudi Arabia. 

You got it.  Since everything is pre-ordained there is no reason to drive safe whatsoever. 

The story about multiple wives is far funnier. 

AnthonyGS
AnthonyGS Dork
3/3/20 8:18 p.m.
Dr. Hess said:

I've been to Bahrain many times.  Garden spot of the Persian Gulf.  That's because you can buy whiskey there.  And P cars, apparently.

I got to see a GT3 RS at the Hilton in Kuwait City up close and personal.  There are lots of fast cars in the Middle East and they all come out at night to break anything resembling laws.   I have a photo of a coworker staring down the GT3 RS.  I will see if I can find and post it. 

I did price some seat time at the F1 track there in a few high performance cars..... way out of my league. 

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ Dork
3/5/20 2:09 a.m.

Bahrain.  Where Saudis go to GTFO of Saudi.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
CMbKse82aMNFxUup42tb7Woj5bCD5l4u7JVyrQtugGBTjMnq0T5Gt9TyW5nQevfE