1 2
logdog
logdog Dork
9/26/13 7:15 a.m.
DrBoost wrote:
logdog wrote: Tough crowd! I would guess the costs of manufacturing and bringing something like this to market go well beyond the costs of raw materials. Can you imagine the liability insurance you have to carry?
While that's true, it doesn't make it a more viable option to some.

I have a titanium jack with diamond encrusted hydraulic cylinders and use stacks of gold bars as jack stands. To me its a bargain.

codrus
codrus HalfDork
9/26/13 1:22 p.m.

The QuickJack fits a niche, it's useful for work in the garage at home, and you can also take it with you to the track/autox. It's less than a non-portable mid-rise lift, but is high enough to do anything you can do with jackstands. My garage ceiling is low enough that any lift higher than this would bang the open hood of the Miata on the ceiling anyway. It's DC-powered, so you don't need a compressor, just the car battery you already have with you.

It's marginally harder to do stuff with it than with jackstands due to the lack of access on the sides, but it's plenty high enough to swap a Miata transmission or engine.

I like it and am leaning towards ordering one. The only real downside is the 3500 pound weight limit, because that's marginal for a lot of sedans these days. I don't expect it to handle my truck, but being able to do my Audi would be nice, say 4500 pounds.

Cotton
Cotton SuperDork
9/26/13 1:46 p.m.
yamaha wrote: In reply to Slippery: For that price, buy air jacks. I'll eventually run them on my e36 because jacks don't fit under the sides/front.

The problem with air jacks is they are fixed to the car. What I like about this setup is I can use it on multiple cars and it's portable. Price doesn't seem too bad to me. Maybe the GJ guys can get a group buy on it and get it down some. In the thread they mention a 5k unit that lifts higher is in the works...that's the one I want.

To the comments about just buying more jackstands and jacks. I spent $900 on a used rotary pad lift because I was sick and tired of dealing with jacks and jack stands, then lifting in increments to get decent height. It's nice to drive a car up, then place a few blocks and get out and hit a button for 45 seconds to get to a good workable height.

Sky_Render
Sky_Render Dork
9/26/13 2:18 p.m.

Wow, I want one. But they need to make one with a greater than 3,500-pound capacity. Most newer cars are heavier than that. And I don't want to buy something I can't use on a lot of different cars.

alex
alex UberDork
9/26/13 4:47 p.m.

Hm. It's kinda like a miniature motorcycle lift table.

Sky_Render
Sky_Render Dork
9/26/13 6:20 p.m.

I actually emailed them to ask if there are plans to make a heavier duty one that can lift cars like my land yacht.

They responded already and said a heavy duty one that lifts up to 5,000 pounds and goes 6" higher will be on sale in January.

So who's getting me that as a late Christmas present?!

Cotton
Cotton SuperDork
9/27/13 10:40 a.m.
Sky_Render wrote: I actually emailed them to ask if there are plans to make a heavier duty one that can lift cars like my land yacht. They responded already and said a heavy duty one that lifts up to 5,000 pounds and goes 6" higher will be on sale in January. So who's getting me that as a late Christmas present?!

I posted in the GJ thread about the heavy duty one as well. I do plan to pick one of those up.

Revlover
Revlover New Reader
3/10/14 10:50 a.m.

Been looking at but everyone says they are hard to get. Updated post on Garage Journal.

Changes are being made and they are finally offering a larger capacity.

Updated post on Garage Journal.

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=239561

bgkast
bgkast Dork
3/10/14 11:13 a.m.

I just noticed that the car in the demo video says "BERK" on the jacking points.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
3/10/14 11:17 a.m.

We've got one of these on the way, but production is obviously lagging. I'll let you all know once it arrives.

codrus
codrus HalfDork
3/10/14 11:59 p.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: We've got one of these on the way, but production is obviously lagging. I'll let you all know once it arrives.

I have one, overall I like it. A few thoughts:

• It's not quite as easy to move around as I thought it would be. The power unit is easy to move, the ramps not so much. It's not that they're heavy, more than they're awkward, nowhere to grab them easily, and they tend to flop open if you're not careful.

• The hydraulic line disconnects make a bit of a mess when you take them apart and (especially) when you put them back together. This probably gets better with more practice, but you'll want to have some paper towels handy when you do it. For me this makes it less portable than I'd hoped -- I'll probably take it to track days, but I'm not inclined to do so for autox where I don't expect to change tires.

• I needed to grind a mm or so off one of the locking legs to get it to fit into the mount, not a big deal.

• It's marginal on clearance for my (admittedly pretty low) Miata. Sliding it under the car requires some care, you can't just drive over it then pull them out to the side of the car the way the video shows.

• I have the 12v unit, it runs great off the battery in my jump pack/compressor thingey. I made some power cables for it using welding cable and 200 amp quick disconnects.

• It doesn't work well for Sevens, because it assumes the basic car shape is a rectangle. :) The ramps need to be basically parallel, so you can't match the angle of the side of the car. Instead you need some kind of cross-bar to sit on top of the frames and lift on the side rails of the car.

• It gets the car to about the height of a set of pretty-high jackstands. I can roll under there on a creeper without worrying about scraping my nose on anything. Obviously you lose the ability to come in from the side of the car, but I expect it will work well for doing exhausts & transmissions.

Video

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 Dork
3/16/14 6:06 p.m.

In for more reviews and info, as im buying a lift this year. Jacks and stands are killi g my knees and back. I do primarily suspension, brake, and electrical work. I also have 10 ft ceilings, so a four foot undercar heigjt would be sufficient.

Thrse are on my radar as they should allow me to do exhaust and tranny work when I need to. Better than a scissor lift id tbink. Though I like tbe idea of a scissor lift better...

DrBoost
DrBoost PowerDork
3/16/14 6:37 p.m.

I dig my scissor lift. I've not tried to do exhaust on it, but other than that, it's great. I can get wheels up to rib-cage height.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
F9NDwZf3MBwijKNbDzvJTd2ehT5irl0GGLIaqt3NzcexgxHEupILrYNbuv5e0LwB