1 2
chada75
chada75 New Reader
1/12/15 2:37 a.m.
Jay_W wrote: They are getting 90 hp outta 250cc these days. This would make for a *very* exciting kart. I dunno if my imagination is quite good enough. That is one helluva powertoweight ratio...

The Unlimited All-Star oval class allows to 250cc Two-cycles and the problem is there's not enough tire to handle the power on dirt.

The Triad Sports Car Club is starting a Adult Kart Mod class based on the Highland Club class and The DNQ oval series.

chrispy
chrispy HalfDork
1/12/15 7:49 a.m.
mr2peak wrote: Will most autocross events allow shifter karts to run? And thanks chaparral, I'll give that link a read-through

SCCA Solo classes shifters in KM. Our club allows all karts. We have really tight clourses so traditionally the shifters don't do too well. The fixed gear karts, however, are generally in the top 10, with one usually taking FTD. Not having to brake saves lots of time.

Highlands Sports Car Club has created 3 kart classes based on the Harbor Freight 212 Predator engine with a nod to Southeast Box Stock rules. Its a fun way to go fast on the cheap. I currently have 2 chassis, 3 engines, 2 complete sets of tires, gears, and spare parts in my 10x10 shop with plenty of room to move around. The tiny footprint and low cost were really appealing to me.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
1/12/15 8:13 a.m.

Box_of_Rocks
Box_of_Rocks New Reader
1/12/15 8:35 a.m.

In reply to mr2peak:

Nationally, karting is getting sort of splintered. Lots of engine-specific classes across multiple sanctioning bodies. Sorting it all out on the interwebz can be a challenge.

Finding your local track and talking to the regulars is the best place to start. You'll want to compete in a class with good participation. Shifters are amazing, but if everyone local is running some other class, that might make more sense.

Karts enjoy all of the advantages you listed. I think costs are definitely cheaper than cars, but like most things, you can find a way to spend as much as you want.

I think the biggest achievement in the last 10 years is the tire technology. Frames have had to change to take advantage of the stickier tires. But on average, a brand new kart with all of the latest in brakes and lightweight components will still get beat by a 5 year old kart with a better driver.

Autoblog had a pretty good 7 part series on getting in to karting a few years back. This is the link to part 1: http://www.autoblog.com/2009/10/05/introduction-to-karting-part-1/

You'll find lots of crack dealers, er, ah... I mean enthusiasts touting karts. http://buildraceparty.kinja.com/why-you-should-be-karting-right-now-1608586695/all

eKarting News is also a great website, but again, caters to a lot of different classes, and it can be confusing for someone unfamiliar with the sport to sort through it all.

chaparral
chaparral HalfDork
1/14/15 9:58 p.m.

Karting isn't as much "splintered" as "looks like a glass plate dropped on a concrete surface". You can probably race anything, anywhere, but you'll have to figure out who wants to race against you and with what to get a decent grid.

loumash
loumash New Reader
1/16/15 9:11 a.m.

I have a 250cc shifter that I got in a trade. I desperately want to race it in my area (Massachusetts). I wanted to do some autox with it to get my feet wet but Devens dosen't allow karts. Anyone know more info? I know about F1 outdoors but I'm not sure what they allow there.

pics

trigun7469
trigun7469 Dork
1/16/15 10:26 a.m.
loumash wrote: I have a 250cc shifter that I got in a trade. I desperately want to race it in my area (Massachusetts). I wanted to do some autox with it to get my feet wet but Devens dosen't allow karts. Anyone know more info? I know about F1 outdoors but I'm not sure what they allow there. pics

Maybe try the WKA, you will have to travel but you get to run on some nice tracks. http://www.worldkarting.com/index.php/series/vega-tire-tsracing-road-racing-series

chaparral
chaparral HalfDork
2/5/15 5:55 p.m.

In reply to loumash:

Oakland Valley Race Park, Cuddebackville NY will let you run anything that stops and turns competently.

The NHKA (New Hampshire Karting Association) races all around the region, but you may have to trade your 250cc engine for a 125 on Craigslist.

rob_lewis
rob_lewis SuperDork
2/6/15 8:33 a.m.
mr2peak wrote: I'm aware it's not "cheap", but it's certainly less expensive than most other options. An acquaintance of mine said it cost him $10k a season to run at/near the front in a 125cc Kart. As far as it costing the same as running an S2000 in HPDE. It might cost the same for basic cost/raceday, but when I factor in the fact that it's easier to work on, I can have a full workshop in a single car garage, don't have to think about registration or insurance (or worry about stuffing a 10-20k car into a wall) it really seems like an awesome way to go stupidly fast. I'm 27 and weigh ~130lbs so weight wise I'm in good standing. And then there's the fact that I will never have to make a compromise between fast at the track, and decent on the street, a single-purpose vehicle has many advantages. I also live in the Bay Area, so I have a few tracks close enough for day trips. If anyone has any info on Karting in the Bay Area I'd be very interested.

As everyone has said, jumping into a shifter for the first time is like jumping into a formula car for your first race. Besides the speed and g-forces, the cost is pretty high for a shifter. Single speed (TAG, Rotax or Briggs/4-Stroke clones) are much cheaper and simpler to get into. You'll still have the sense of speed and will learn a bunch. If you end up liking it, the move to a shifter later won't be as drastic.

As with all forms of racing, how fast you want to go is directly related to how much you want to spend. A brand new out of the box shifter will run you over $10k. If you want a fast motor, as opposed to an out of the box motor, you're probably looking at $15k. Similar Rotax (what my son runs) would be around $9k.
You can easily go used and save money. As has been stated, the biggest thing is to hit your local tracks and see what everyone else runs. Running a motor package that nobody else in your area runs means you'll never know how you stack up. Are you faster because you're motor is just a faster package? Are you slower because it's a slower package? Most tracks will find a class and group for you to race in, but racing 15 other karts, coming in last and still getting a first place trophy because you're the only one in that "class" isn't too much fun. You'll also want to see what chassis is common or has a local shop presence. I've seen way too many guys show up with some odd chassis go home early because something broke and nobody has parts for it. Some parts are universal, but of course, that's never what goes bad.....

SKUSA is big in California. Probably too far of a drive, but they have a good series that would get you some idea of what's run.
http://www.superkartsusa.com/regional/california-pkc/event-calendar.html

My son's run karts since he was 6 (he's 13 now) and we've traveled all over the country for races. He's old enough to drive a shifter (and many of his friends do), but we've avoided it because it's easy to learn bad habits and, amazingly, lose some race/driving craft. Ping me offline if you want some more info. I love seeing new karters interested in the sport, but it's really easy to get confused.

-Rob

loumash
loumash New Reader
2/13/15 1:19 p.m.

In reply to chaparral:

Thanks!!

chaparral
chaparral HalfDork
2/21/15 12:28 p.m.

In reply to loumash:

Call CFMotorsports in North Easton MA or Prospeed Kartsports in North Attleboro MA.

Jaynen
Jaynen Dork
2/21/15 12:50 p.m.

When I look at the local san diego karting stuff it seems all kids or super low participation in general like 5-6 guys in a heat/race

mr2peak
mr2peak Dork
12/13/15 1:00 a.m.

Bumping this again.

Anyone in the SF Bay Area on here who races karts? I need some guidance for starting in the 2016 season

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Ha8QgXom0HeAc3eaxLzne9jFd7UkZmH2qnj3ZL3GKlcknutTDvcriGBAinGwLJGV