Gubby
Gubby New Reader
2/15/11 6:57 p.m.

Very well, the time has come for me to ask my friends at GRM for some advice regarding the purchase of a car. I like to think that I could figure this out on my own, being a big boy, but, the fact is that I have such a great deal of belief in the accumulated knowledge of the members here, that I would not ask anywhere else-- Not blowing sunshine here...I'm serious. There is a used car lot down the road from my house that has three R107 Benzes; I have always loved the looks of these cars, and I have already done some of the homework on them so they are not entirely unfamiliar. The trouble is...I plan on doing some rallycross, and perhaps even some ice racing, so an ol' Benz might not be the right idea(though it would be stylish!)

The sticky part of all this is the fact that I cannot operate a manual 'box, I used to be able to do it, but that was a long time ago, in my Uncle's F-150 on his farm, and if you don't use it you lose it. In addition, I do not know of anyone who could give me a proper tutorial. I am the only member of my family who is even remotely interested in cars.

This is where the Benzes come in...they seem like an excellent compromise between style, speed, and necessity. This particular car lot also offers a warranty, and financing, so that makes them even more attractive. At this point, it is the only thing that I can think of that can help me avoid enlisting in the Beige Brigade.

Thanks for reading the whole thing! I welcome any and all information and advice--Gabe.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon SuperDork
2/15/11 7:19 p.m.

The 107 is a damn tough car. Having said that, if stuff breaks it's pricey. The aftermarket for hotrod stuff is limited to the point of nearly nonexistent, so any racey type parts will probably have to be made or adapted from an existing application. Not insurmountable, just takes some time and research.

mmosbey
mmosbey New Reader
2/15/11 7:30 p.m.

Wait, R107s with manual transmissions and an F-150 in your past... Where are you?

I spent three years away from manuals, and while I could get in and drive immediately, it took me about two weeks to return to a reasonable approximation of competence. You'll kill it, and have a few rough take offs or shifts, and then, you'll be fine.

Edited to actually address the question asked.

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 Dork
2/15/11 7:38 p.m.
Gubby wrote: The sticky part of all this is the fact that I cannot operate a manual 'box, I used to be able to do it, but that was a long time ago, in my Uncle's F-150 on his farm, and if you don't use it you lose it. In addition, I do not know of anyone who could give me a proper tutorial. I am the only member of my family who is even remotely interested in cars.

Um, I went about 15 years driving automatics only and went back to manual with no problems. In fact currently the only A/T in my fleet is my wifes car, my daily driver, my classic, both of my daughter's cars are manuals and I routinely drive theirs. It will only take one time for it all to come back. Unless there is a medical reason to complicate things, will be easier than you think to go back to manual.
But if you like the Mercedes then that's the way to go, automatic or manual doesn't matter.

Gubby
Gubby New Reader
2/15/11 7:40 p.m.
mmosbey wrote: 1. Wait, R107s with manual transmissions and an F-150 in your past... 2. Where are you?
  1. no offense, but, huh?
  2. West Michigan
mmosbey
mmosbey New Reader
2/15/11 7:43 p.m.
Gubby wrote:
mmosbey wrote: 1. Wait, R107s with manual transmissions and an F-150 in your past... 2. Where are you?
1. no offense, but, huh? 2. West Michigan

Sorry, the R107 seems really hard to find with a manual transmission in the US. I was wondering if you might be outside the borders of the good ole US of A.

Gubby
Gubby New Reader
2/15/11 7:48 p.m.

To mmosbey, I apologize for my hasty response, I must have sent it when you were editing your post. Sorry for the confusion, but I did not mean to say that I had driven a manual '107 Thanks for all of the input thus far, lads.

Grtechguy
Grtechguy SuperDork
2/15/11 7:55 p.m.

From a fellow G.R. guy...what dealership exactly?

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon SuperDork
2/15/11 7:55 p.m.

FWIW, we just had a totaled 6 cylinder manual trans early 107 (gray market car) towed out of our body shop. It had the skinny Euro bumpers and a hardtop, etc. Damn I hated to see that.

benzbaron
benzbaron HalfDork
2/15/11 8:02 p.m.

Which year and model? How long have they sat around? Do they run? How much rust? The r107 cars rust like something else. If the car runs good and doesn't have any rust it might be worth further investigation. I really need to know which model to give you more info. Or go register at Benzworld and go to the r107 forum.

Why everyone obsesses over having a manual transmission I do not know? Put the car in L you are stuck in 1st gear, S you are in 2nd, D you are in 3rd(for a early V8 car). You shift with the automatic transmission through the gears and the cars were made to do this. I'd be a little careful about going into L but S on my 280 is where the fun is at.

If you get a V8 car you can get a 2.42? LSD differential out of a W126 SEC. LSD diffs for r107 cars are very hard to find.

Gubby
Gubby New Reader
2/15/11 8:29 p.m.

To Grtechguy, It is a place called Jackson Finance, and it is located within Ann Street Auto Sales on the corner of Ann and Alpine, in somewhat beautiful downtown GR

To The Benzbaron, 1979 450SL, with the removable hardtop(!) I don't know the mileage(kicking self...now) It has been on their lot for a few months, and it does indeed run. I simply have not had the opportunity to stop by for longer than a few moments, and do a thorough inspection. Rust? I did not see any, so that must mean that there isn't any, right? Again, my cursory inspections have not revealed many trouble spots, but I will stop by again asap. Thanks again guys.

chaparral
chaparral Reader
2/15/11 9:15 p.m.

Automatics love big, broad-powerband engines in light cars.

Try a C4 Corvette with an automatic. It's heresy, sure, but I think it's better with it than the manual. Instant power, wheelspin on upshifts, perfect-every-time launches.

benzbaron
benzbaron HalfDork
2/16/11 12:45 a.m.

How much do they want? Do a close inspection for rust. Has the subframe been either retrofitted or changed. Look for suspension work the more the better.

Mileage doesn't matter, in fact more might be better. A car that sits will kill you.

If you really want to join the r107 club come and join at benzworld if you want tell them daryn sent you.

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r-c107-sl-slc-class/

Grtechguy
Grtechguy SuperDork
2/16/11 7:32 a.m.

ahhh yes...that guy has all sorts of cars that I want. including the 66 F-series

spitfirebill
spitfirebill Dork
2/16/11 7:47 a.m.

Driving a manual is like riding a bike. You don't forget it. Have the saleman drive it over to a shopping center (hopefully abandoned) and try it out.

914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
2/16/11 8:05 a.m.

Do you have winters in Grand Rapids? With a stick I feel I have more control over the car in slippery conditions. It actually slows down when you lift the gas.

Maybe it's just me.

Dan

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy Reader
2/16/11 11:29 a.m.

Once you understand the principles of how a manual transmission works, you should be able to step back into it fairly easily.

Why not get a manual car and get back in practice? It will open up a lot more rides for you, and in today's market, the 5 speed cars are usually a lot cheaper than the slushys.

Gubby
Gubby New Reader
2/16/11 2:05 p.m.

Benzbaron: they want $8900 for the one in question. I did not check about the other 450's, but they do have a 280sl for $6300--though right now, I'm only thinking V8

Once again, thanks to all for the advice, it is all highly valued, and it is why I love coming here, it's like a reverse intervention for gearheads.

benzbaron
benzbaron HalfDork
2/16/11 2:22 p.m.

8900$ is very expensive for a late model r107 even with manual transmission. Most will go between 5000-7500$ depending on condition and service documentation. For 8900$ I'd expect a very clean car with lots of documentation.

I'd check out the 280 if I was you. If they are all for sale drive them all and see which one you like the most. Get a prepurchase inspection also. The 6 cylinder in proper tune will do 100mph on the freeway effortlessly with the hum of 5000rpm to guide you.

The worst thing you can do is rush into r107 ownership. Finding the right car might take weeks or months, don't buy a pig. These cars aren't really worth restoring, ask me how I know.

Not an sl but I like this one, and it has a high compression m116 3.5l V8. I'd bet 3500$ would take it it has been for sale forever.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/scz/cto/2214896418.html

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/scz/cto/2214896418.html

Gubby
Gubby New Reader
2/16/11 2:48 p.m.

Thanks once again! I will have to check the prices on the other 450's, but of the four SL's they have on hand, only three still have the hardtop, and the 280 is the odd man out. Still, I will take a closer look at that one as well. Thanks, Gabe.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
2Uh7clLa4pEH3WNUin610wvZysjPGITVunM12fhRtzKMYlB3pehVywv9dI0AEXGk