evox
evox New Reader
4/8/11 10:50 a.m.

I'll be moving from Atlanta to Phoenix in a few weeks and am looking for advice on movers. I dont have much stuff, mostly a matress, desk, tig welder, tools, scrap metal, intercoolers, etc, and my running/drivable locost project.

Obviously I'd like to be cheap, but dont want the locost damaged. A POD will cost about $3900 and I could fit the locost in it, either complete or with the suspension removed. It would be easy to load as PODS are near ground level, and I could do it on my own time. The price is high though.

It sounds like shipping via truck will be cheaper for my stuff, but I question the ability of these moving companies to get a 1300lb chassis into a semi trailer. Most dont seem to understand what a chassis is. A few have claimed they can do it...one for about $2500 with my stuff. Without a personal reference I dont believe jack.

I could also ship my stuff via moving truck and ship the locost via carrier. I've had about 10 auto shippers contact me and read off "lotus seven 1970s classic" and quote me for an open trailer of various costs. I gave one an internet etiquette lesson on not using caps lock but that didnt go over well. Can anyone recommend a reputable auto mover that can handle a specialty car? Can I get a discount for my car only weighing 1500lbs?

While writing this post two movers have called me.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
4/8/11 11:10 a.m.

Try these guys, we have used them and they are true pros:

www.reliablecarriers.com

jrw1621
jrw1621 SuperDork
4/8/11 11:12 a.m.

http://www.upack.com/moving-services/moving-trailer.asp
I have not used these guys myself but I know two people who have with good results. This is more of a recomendation for your personal items, but...
How good are you at building ramps? You could load the Locost and the ramps, then unload the ramps on the otherside to get the car off???

http://blog.upack.com/category/auto-shipping/
Here it says they will not ship cars but they will ship motorcycles and ATV's. I bet you Locost is more like an ATV than it is a car. I would ask them what they recommend for loading an ATV onto the semi.

evox
evox New Reader
4/8/11 11:45 a.m.

waiting for a quote from reliablecarriers.

upack.com has a good deal going, and their ramps can hold 1000lbs (but they only provide one). They wont ship a car though...I would have to pull the engine and drain it. I might be able to argue that its not a car without the suspension but that just makes it more of a pita.

I just talked to a company that had a reasonable solution for loading cars into semi's. They use a tilt-back car hauler to get the cars up, and then ramps to transfer them into the semi trailer. Waiting for a quote from them.

Packrat.com has a POD solution...16'x8'x8'tall for $3000 and I could drive the car right in. Any one have any experience with this company?

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy Reader
4/8/11 11:52 a.m.

When I shipped my AE86 from NJ to Oregon, I had Horseless Carriage do the transport

http://www.horselesscarriage.com/

when it arrived in the back of their specially designed trailer it was under a tarp (the Maserati that also came for the ride leaked some on their tarp)

Bobzilla
Bobzilla Dork
4/8/11 12:00 p.m.

Can I drive it across for you? Sounds like a fun trip as long as it doesn't rain!

Woody
Woody SuperDork
4/8/11 12:05 p.m.

I shipped my 65 Mustang Fastback from Connecticut to Indiana on an open car carrier for $750.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim SuperDork
4/8/11 12:07 p.m.

Any specific reason you don't want to U-Haul the stuff yourself?

Klayfish
Klayfish Reader
4/8/11 12:08 p.m.

I've heard good things about Horseless too, but have never used them.

Between being a buyer and a seller, I've probably shipped about 10 cars. I've found two that I really like.

http://www.theexpressauto.com/ - these guys are a dispatch company. I've shipped all kinds of cars with them, and never had an issue. I had them ship a Viper and a Corvette and each time they got a shipper who know what they were doing with a car like that. The truck that brought my Corvette looked like a show truck. Chrome everywhere, lights everywhere. My car was spotless.

I've also used U-Ship. It's almost an Ebay style, in that people write reviews about a particular shipper, so I could read what others have experienced. So between that and asking the driver a bunch of questions, I felt confident. Sure enough, it worked out great. Shipped a Honda Fit from GA to PA.

curtis73
curtis73 Dork
4/8/11 9:47 p.m.

www.ytmag.com. click on hauling schedule. There are hundreds of deadheads, bobtails, and other empty legs posted on that site. Its a little good-ol-boy and a little less wipe-your-butt, but I had a 66 Bonneville carted from PA to CA for $500. There was a guy with an F550/gooseneck that had an empty trailer coming back west and all he asked was that I pay for his diesel... of course, that was back when diesel was $1.45 a gallon

Wally
Wally SuperDork
4/9/11 3:02 a.m.
evox wrote: It sounds like shipping via truck will be cheaper for my stuff, but I question the ability of these moving companies to get a 1300lb chassis into a semi trailer. Most dont seem to understand what a chassis is. A few have claimed they can do it...one for about $2500 with my stuff. Without a personal reference I dont believe jack.

A lot of movers will move a rolling car right in their truck. When I used to hae my flatbed the locasl North American and United Agents would call me and I would load the car on my truck, back u to the moving van and roll it into the moving truck.. The only car I ever saw them turn away was a 70's Eldo that had wide wire wheels and didn't fit between the wheelwells of the trailer.

ccrelan
ccrelan Reader
4/9/11 6:55 a.m.

+1 with U Ship. I have used it and my buddy had a good experience as well

curtis73
curtis73 Dork
4/9/11 11:47 a.m.

Stop through Austin and I can take that TIG off your hands. Just trying to lighten the load a bit. I'm generous like that.

M2Pilot
M2Pilot Reader
4/9/11 8:31 p.m.

A few years ago when the new head of the local college moved to town I passed by his house & saw a Miata being unloaded from a moving van that also had a bunch ot furnigure etc in it. IIRC it was an Allied Van Lines van.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
K4wp2Q6EzDuVo1C0rmyFkP1ZKHV6UxaHaguwJzUXOhKEmS1SWlvjkYUkjzQF7CKb