1 2
petegossett
petegossett Dork
1/16/09 12:48 p.m.

OK...major bonus points for the King Diamond pic!!!

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt HalfDork
1/16/09 2:14 p.m.
DILYSI Dave wrote: The scoop will be in roughly the same place as this one, but larger, with the extra dimensions going toward the center line of the vehicle and the windshield.

With the scoop that close to the leading edge, I suspect it'll benefit from some more height to it.

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
1/16/09 8:52 p.m.
AngryCorvair wrote: early '70s pro stock FTW:

I saw that very car make quite a few runs at Blaney Drag Strip way back then.

I know -zip- about intercooler scoops, though.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
2/7/09 9:55 p.m.

Well, the scoop is fabbed, and in place.

Here is the piece of aluminum I stared with. This was part of somebody's SEMA display. We found it in the trash in Vegas and decide it looked useful, so we drug it back to Atlanta, and then during a shop cleaning I saved it from our dumpster and brought it home. Going in, I was a little concerned that it would end up looking like a piece of HVAC ducting, but I think it turned out pretty sweet in a mad max kinda way.

This is after a couple of hours of cutting, welding, bending, welding, cussing, and welding. I don't really have the right tools for bending the rear return, but I made it work.

In place...

My aluminum welds are getting better:

Hood Closed:

Hood Closed:

noisycricket
noisycricket Reader
2/7/09 10:00 p.m.
poopshovel wrote: X 6. OR:

How about taking an old gallon coolant jug, slicing the top off, flaying open the front, and rivet/staple/through-bolt it to the hood?

Yeah it's ugly, but you NEED coolant. If you bought Natty Light, you might be tempted to drink it.

edit: I see the final results... and the vote is in: Badass!

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt HalfDork
2/9/09 12:32 p.m.

Very nice. I never would have guessed the bend wasn't done with some sort of high end press brake. And it gets extra grassroots points for being made out of something that was thrown away.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
2/9/09 12:54 p.m.

The bend was comical. I welded the straight portion first. Then held the part to be bent in the vice and had my wife stand on top of the work bench and put weight on the scoop to start the wrap. Then weld 1/2" or so. Then re-grab it in the vice and do it again. Rinse and repeat until the bend is completed. She was a little nervous about me welding 6" from her feet, but she's a good sport.

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 HalfDork
2/9/09 1:06 p.m.

That's so awesome.... words escape me.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury Reader
2/9/09 1:32 p.m.

what about flow thru? Where does the air go after it flows thru the IC? does it jost go bonkers inside the engine bay, or does it get routed elswhere? just curious. Looks great. Plus since its diamond plate, you didnt have to worry bout your wife slipping on it while up on the bench

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
2/9/09 2:19 p.m.
4cylndrfury wrote: what about flow thru? Where does the air go after it flows thru the IC? does it jost go bonkers inside the engine bay, or does it get routed elswhere? just curious. Looks great. Plus since its diamond plate, you didnt have to worry bout your wife slipping on it while up on the bench

Goes bonkers in the engine bay.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
EPBZojhuIoj3joWz6YxH1TIsRNTVr79i83gSmbkBDUuJ7ydsn90bV0F1KzAHlhhf