1 2 3
Greg Voth
Greg Voth HalfDork
11/27/11 9:48 p.m.

I absolutely had no intentions of buying anything especially since I didnt sell hardly a thing at the show on Saturday. Decided to run by the show Sunday afternoon before going to the junkyard. Most people had left or were leaving. I saw this sitting by itself. Asking price $1750. Got it for quite a bit less. He was originally asking $3500 when he first showed up but then sold the hood off it. Then the shifter linkage stopped working and the price came down.

It was a little funny since we had helped the guy put a hood to cover up the engine on Friday night but didn't give the truck a second glance. Just saw him trying to lift it himself and gave him a quick hand and kept walking.

1954 F600 on a 87 Suburban Chassis. All suburban running gear including steering column. Fuel injected 350/700R4. Should get about 15 mpg. Not sure of a tow rating yet but I image it should be at least 5-6k.

Came with an F100 fenders, aluminum radiator and cab corner patch panel to delete the gas filler on the drivers lower side. He said that it runs hot around town.

Needs a hood, brake light switch, and shifter linkage worked out. I have a sourced a hood for a $100 and the radiator should cure the overheating. After that just work on getting some functional gauges and drive it. Little things like wipers and hooking up the heater core will be needed.

Note the fender gap behind the front tires. The F600 had bigger openings toward the front so the fenders that came with it wont cure that since the opening is smaller but biased toward the rear. I'll figure something out but not worried about it now.

Yeah thats me figuring out the cost of the truck vs. the cost of a divorce. Turns out Monique loved it when she saw the pictures and gave me the go ahead.

Woody
Woody SuperDork
11/27/11 9:51 p.m.

CarKid1989
CarKid1989 Dork
11/27/11 9:58 p.m.

i approve. sick truck.

more pics needed and more details

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
11/27/11 10:02 p.m.

Greg, that will look so cool towing the Lemons Rx7, I whole heartedly approve.

You da man

Greg Voth
Greg Voth HalfDork
11/27/11 10:06 p.m.

Not much else for details and no other pics at the moment.

Stock F600 cab, reportedly only 6000 miles on it not that it matters since its transplanted. Came from River Hills, WI and was a public works truck. Guy was from Wisconsin also. Minimal rust with only two or three spots that have broken through. Re-upholstered seat.

Stock 1987 Chevy Suburban Chassis, motor, trans, steering column. Flat bed was cut and shortened. A 80's truck bed was welded in. Starts on the first try.

fasted58
fasted58 SuperDork
11/27/11 10:17 p.m.

nice score

dual wheels, stacks and beer keg saddle tanks

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy Dork
11/27/11 10:22 p.m.

Now you need a friendly Canadian to sell you this trim.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid Dork
11/27/11 10:24 p.m.

I like it. Me personally though, I'd find a hood.

Sultan
Sultan Reader
11/27/11 11:57 p.m.

Cool and it looks like it already finished.....or not. Kinda hard to tell with rat rods...

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard SonDork
11/28/11 5:03 a.m.

That's awesome!!

novaderrik
novaderrik Dork
11/28/11 5:39 a.m.

the thread title said something about a "rat rod"?

ultraclyde
ultraclyde HalfDork
11/28/11 5:41 a.m.

Very nice find

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed Dork
11/28/11 5:58 a.m.

That is really cool. I am liking it.

Greg Voth
Greg Voth HalfDork
11/28/11 6:23 a.m.

Hood is the on the top of the list. It apparently had a hood when the show started but a guy offered him $500 for it so he sold it.

The guy he sold it to offered to sell the old dented one back to him for $100. I've got his contact info. Hes about two hours away in Gainesville so it shouldnt be an issue to pick it up.

Appleseed
Appleseed SuperDork
11/28/11 6:28 a.m.

Not a rat rod. its an old farm truck.

HappyAndy
HappyAndy HalfDork
11/28/11 7:02 a.m.

Don't replace the missing hood; make a Mater replica!

dyintorace
dyintorace SuperDork
11/28/11 7:36 a.m.
Greg Voth wrote: Hood is the on the top of the list. It apparently had a hood when the show started but a guy offered him $500 for it so he sold it. The guy he sold it to offered to sell the old dented one back to him for $100. I've got his contact info. Hes about two hours away in Gainesville so it shouldnt be an issue to pick it up.

Let me know if it needs to be picked up and held for you.

EDIT: Fantastic purchase!

ArthurDent
ArthurDent Reader
11/28/11 8:11 a.m.

What a fantastic purchase. I love old trucks like this but modern running gear is perfect.

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero HalfDork
11/28/11 8:35 a.m.
fasted58 wrote: nice score dual wheels, stacks and beer keg saddle tanks

Quoted just in case you missed it

patgizz
patgizz SuperDork
11/28/11 8:38 a.m.

i was telling my wife last night that's exactly what i want. newer chassis with old cab and flatbed. guy across the street has an early 60's dodge behind his barn that ive got my eyes on.

Rusted_Busted_Spit
Rusted_Busted_Spit SuperDork
11/28/11 8:41 a.m.

Very cool.

Tom Heath
Tom Heath Web Manager
11/28/11 8:49 a.m.

I have the best neighbor in the world. Greg always finds the best stuff!

Ian F
Ian F SuperDork
11/28/11 9:04 a.m.
Greg Voth wrote: Yeah thats me figuring out the cost of the truck vs. the cost of a divorce. Turns out Monique loved it when she saw the pictures and gave me the go ahead.

Lucky you... whenever I look at some crazy project like this, the return comments are laced with profanity...

Greg Voth
Greg Voth HalfDork
11/28/11 9:41 a.m.
Strike_Zero wrote:
fasted58 wrote: nice score dual wheels, stacks and beer keg saddle tanks
Quoted just in case you missed it

I briefly considered extending the bed, adding a dually rear and making a car hauler out of it but I doubt it would get that far. The stack might look good but a plain 350 Chevy probably wouldn't sound that good.

To Ian F: Probably helps that I have a decent record of breaking even or making a profit on these things. (Barring the money pit 84 RX-7). Also we've only been married just over 2 years.

The current list includes 4 1st gen RX-7's, an 84 V8 Volvo Wagon and a 77 V8 Spitfire project plus this truck.

Greg Voth
Greg Voth HalfDork
11/28/11 11:14 a.m.

Drove the truck to get a shipping quote and to the bank to pay Rob back for loaning me some of the money yesterday. Stopped by the Body Werkz of Grassroots/Classic fame and showed it to Tom (he races on our Lemons Team). Maybe 2 miles round trip. The truck started to get hot and spit out the overflow spout. Turns out the fan was wired backward so it was pushing back air back at the radiator instead of pulling air through it. Didnt have any other problems but it was a pretty short trip.

Truck stops well. It runs pretty good but has some tip in hesitation. It shifts kind of firm and needs new shocks but otherwise rode just fine.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
YSCi7jOKBb7uqzgo5sdfcQeOsmgsME0lhmPaSm7C5xPte9Q2LhIChBE8BsnAiw7x