1 2
Woody
Woody HalfDork
9/10/08 4:57 p.m.

I had been looking for a place to get my Miata aligned for track use and I couldn't get a Mazda dealership to stray from the stock alignment numbers. Today I stopped by a local race shop that preps air cooled Porsches. They agreed to do the alignment for me if I provide the specs, so I set up an appointment.

I mentioned to my wife, with a sigh, that I actually had a hard time finding a place to park, as there were about 25 Porsche race cars outside. Always an advocate of freeing up additional garage space, she said, "Why don't you sell the two Miatas and buy a Porsche?".

I have wrestled with several variations on this same idea in my head for the past couple of years, but always without seeking spousal insight. Now, she's the one suggesting it.

Discuss.

MitchellC
MitchellC Reader
9/10/08 5:02 p.m.

I'm all for it. AC Porsches tend to hold their value well, so if you keep it well-maintained, you can probably get most of your money back. If you want your Miata fix, you can always find another for pretty cheap.

minimac
minimac Dork
9/10/08 5:15 p.m.

For the sake of keeping harmony on the homefront, I think you should listen to the Mrs. She sounds like a very bright girl.

Volksroddin
Volksroddin Reader
9/10/08 5:20 p.m.

An AC P car would be sweet, listen to your wife, if ever gets mad about the Porsche just tell her "you told me to". that is how my 1970 beetle came about. I already had a 1973.

fiat22turbo
fiat22turbo SuperDork
9/10/08 5:22 p.m.

Well, I would shy away from the rear-engined versions. A decent 944 would fill the gap between something bigger and a Miata.

Of course a mid-engined 911 would be fun to play with, the rear engined ones remind me of being pushed around in a shopping cart.

racerdave600
racerdave600 Reader
9/10/08 6:33 p.m.

I have a 944 and am a multiple former Miata owner, but if I had the choice, I'd probably go air cooled. Something like an '80's 3.2 would be very nice!

Volksroddin
Volksroddin Reader
9/10/08 6:52 p.m.
fiat22turbo wrote: Well, I would shy away from the rear-engined versions. A decent 944 would fill the gap between something bigger and a Miata. Of course a mid-engined 911 would be fun to play with, the rear engined ones remind me of being pushed around in a shopping cart.

I've never seen a mid engine 911, I have seen a Boxster and Caymen thoe.

Keith
Keith SuperDork
9/10/08 7:11 p.m.

My wife wants a Porsche to go with her Miata. Preferably a Cayman. But if I build her an LS-powered MGB, that's an acceptable substitute.

dyintorace
dyintorace HalfDork
9/10/08 7:33 p.m.

While Miata may be the typical answer around here, I'd trade 2 of them for one air cooled Porsche every day of the week and twice (four times?) on Sunday.

What an iconic car.

Woody
Woody HalfDork
9/10/08 7:37 p.m.

My 944 dreams expired years ago, so they're not really even on my radar anymore. I used to love them, but I wouldn't replace a Miata with one.

A Carrera 3.2 would be perfect, but also at the absolute top of the budget. I might consider a 911SC with the right upgrades. What really makes me hesitate is that most of these cars have been repainted by now, and you never know what was underneath.

joshx99
joshx99 New Reader
9/10/08 7:44 p.m.

My understanding is that they're pretty resistant to rust for 80's cars.

maroon92
maroon92 SuperDork
9/10/08 9:25 p.m.

I have been jonesing for a late 80's SC Targa for a couple years now. I might get one in a few years.

Alonso
Alonso
9/10/08 9:48 p.m.

Here is my advice. Check you this link and you'll surely fall in love with the Porsche 911 (930). This former drifter from japan builds these street/track 930s and they just look amazing.

Speedhunters.com

dyintorace
dyintorace HalfDork
9/10/08 10:17 p.m.

Alonso, thanks for that find! I've never heard or seen anything on those events and the cars are incredible!

walterj
walterj HalfDork
9/10/08 10:17 p.m.

I bought one in July... a 964 C2 for well under 20k in great shape. Its got a muffler bypass and its lowered to RS ride height but stock otherwise. 76k on it.

It is not as fast, balanced or easy to work on as the M3 that it replaces... but it feels like its hewn from solid rock and all that weirdness makes for a helluva drive. The sound, feel and general wonkiness make me smile every time I turn the key.

Luke
Luke Dork
9/11/08 3:05 a.m.

Get the Porsche.

wreckerboy
wreckerboy SuperDork
9/11/08 7:09 a.m.

I have two Miatae and would not hesitate to get rid of at least one of them for a late 80's 911 SC. That, and the wife keeps looking at P-cars and saying, "Damn, those are nice looking."

914Driver
914Driver HalfDork
9/11/08 9:09 a.m.

Ok I'm biased, but put her in a 914 once. Targa top, I'm 5'11" and don't put the seat all the way back, plenty of width, handles great even in stock trim and not hard to look at. 911s are pretty common, a well turned out or even moderately restored 914 turns heads. My wife likes to take it to craft events or shopping especially in the fall; top off, breezing through the fall foliage listening to the four exhaust tips behind you, what's better?

And they're idiot proof to work on.

Dan

Lennyseleven
Lennyseleven New Reader
9/11/08 9:15 a.m.

Im not sure what exactly there is to discuss after your wife tells you to buy a Porsche, I think youre just supposed to do it.(Before she changes her mind, or some other act of nature intervenes)

Wally
Wally SuperDork
9/11/08 9:33 a.m.
Volksroddin wrote: I've never seen a mid engine 911, I have seen a Boxster and Caymen thoe.

http://www.porsche.com/usa/eventsandracing/motorsport/philosophy/history/racingcars/1996-911gt1/

It would take little more than two Miatas to pay for it though

I wish my wife would say something like "Buy a Porsche".

924guy
924guy HalfDork
9/11/08 11:14 a.m.

take the wife out to dinner, and then go buy a boxter.. I am not a fan of the boxter (body style) myself, but they are solid performers and handle very well, and you can find earlier examples fairly reasonable if you look around a bit (9-15k.) the early models did have a few engine issues, but chances are theyve been addressed by now, and they are fun cars...

Woody
Woody HalfDork
9/11/08 11:46 a.m.

The 914 and th Boxster have both been scratched off the list. I searched for a reasonably rust free 914 in 1988 and couldn't find one then.

I almost bought a Boxster last year, but the potential for catastrophic engine failure is too great. Even that wouldn't scare me away if you could buy engine parts for them, but the engines were designed to be replaced, not rebuilt. There are no parts available, and a replacement engine is nearly 10 grand.

Trogdor71
Trogdor71 New Reader
9/11/08 12:22 p.m.

Here's a guy who tackled a 986 engine rebuild and took video of the whole thing.

986fix.com

mhayes
mhayes None
9/11/08 6:55 p.m.

I currently use an '08 Volvo C30 as my daily driver and have a '94 Corvette convertible that I have been using for autox and cruising the last three years. A neighbor a couple of doors down had a '99 Porsche Boxster that he wanted to sell. My wife (you gotta love her!) said why don't you buy it? I told her what I thought it was worth and she went and made the deal. Then I told her what I thought I could get if I sold the Corvette and she said (I really love her!) 'if that's all you're going to get, you may as well keep it'.

So far the Vette and Boxster have been getting along really well.

Just bragging the wife up here a little (she has even driven the Boxster a couple of times - first time she has really showed any interest in participating in my car habit) as well as demonstrating that you can't have too many red cars.

walterj
walterj HalfDork
9/11/08 7:14 p.m.
Woody wrote: I almost bought a Boxster last year, but the potential for catastrophic engine failure is too great. Even that wouldn't scare me away if you could buy engine parts for them, but the engines were designed to be replaced, not rebuilt. There are no parts available, and a replacement engine is nearly 10 grand.

That whole "2 drops of oil on the floor means you need a whole new top end. I can do it this week for $12k or next month for $20k when it explodes" money train was too good to last I guess. I wonder how many 911 owners know you can drive them to 200k if you ignore your mechanic.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
OwRDOPEKqo8tpykvopBpaXnAmKST8dmMAfbFwLLgxp0akXWmTLXLc3pPlttHVI3X