1 2
Woody
Woody HalfDork
9/11/08 8:04 p.m.
walterj wrote: That whole "2 drops of oil on the floor means you need a whole new top end. I can do it this week for $12k or next month for $20k when it explodes" money train was too good to last I guess. I wonder how many 911 owners know you can drive them to 200k if you ignore your mechanic.

It's a little more dramatic with the Boxster, as they have a tendency to scatter tiny pieces of German metal throughout your neighborhood without warning.

Google "Boxster Catastrophic Engine" and you will find 2,490 links to read through.

Varkwso
Varkwso Reader
9/12/08 7:01 a.m.

Great woman - keep her happy.

I have been looking idly for a Cayman S - but they are still too high in price...

Racer1ab
Racer1ab New Reader
9/12/08 7:37 a.m.

You have to listen to the wife, and buy a Porsche?!?

Does she have a sister?

So...for those of us without P-car money, how much are you asking for the Miatas?

daytonaer
daytonaer New Reader
9/12/08 8:02 a.m.

Saw this a few days ago and thought "lucky"

Saw it again today and am surprised you don't have pictures of your new ride yet. Its ok if your still out driving.

minimac
minimac Dork
9/12/08 8:48 a.m.

We bought an '82 SC back in April(see readers rides) for less money than you'd expect to pay for a 99 and up Miata. I still don't know if the radio works- I've never turned it on. It's not plush, but the driving experience is awesome. Show me another car from 1982 where the clock still keeps perfect time. Driving in the city or on the highway is good, but when you get on some twisty back roads, driving doesn't get any better. And the sounds of going through the gears is worth the admission price. Don't do like me, do some research first to learn what to look for, then jump in. you won't regret it.

Woody
Woody HalfDork
9/12/08 9:31 a.m.
Racer1ab wrote: You have to listen to the wife, and buy a Porsche?!? Does she have a sister? So...for those of us without P-car money, how much are you asking for the Miatas?

She has two sisters, in fact. Both are single. There are, however, some significant differences between the three of them.

The Mazdas are not actively for sale yet, as I haven't made a decision yet.

Both are 96's. One is set up for the track with a cage, Spec Miata suspension, exhaust, brakes, race seat, gauges, etc.

The other is a loaded, low milage original with leather. Both have hardtops.

sachilles
sachilles New Reader
9/12/08 12:36 p.m.

Having made a similar mistake after my wife made a comment just like this......it means sell the two miatas first, then buy the porsche. Not buy the porsche, then sell the two miatas.

MitchellC
MitchellC Reader
9/12/08 1:14 p.m.

What about selling one of the Miatas, buying the Porsche, and then listing the other Miata for $3k more than it's worth and lament "not getting any bites"?

Woody
Woody HalfDork
9/12/08 1:28 p.m.
MitchellC wrote: What about selling one of the Miatas, buying the Porsche, and then listing the other Miata for $3k more than it's worth and lament "not getting any bites"?

I like the way you think.

I am much more attached to one car than the other anyway. I could sell the track car, get stuck with the other one and turn it into another track car next year.

Rupunzell
Rupunzell New Reader
9/21/08 10:35 a.m.

Early Boxters have serious engine problems... IMO, Porsche cost more than they offer in terms of driving experience. My opinion is based on being around Porsche's for nearly 30+ years form early 911's, 914's to the current GT-3.

Trade in the Miata's for a Lotus Elise/ Exige.. Drive the Lotus and Porsche Boxter, then decide. There have been a good number of Boxter owners posting "want to trade for a Elise" in the local want ads.

Woody
Woody Dork
9/21/08 3:53 p.m.

The Elise may be my ultimate goal, but they are still about ten grand beyond what I'm willing to spend. I think if I shop carefully, I can find a 911 that I can enjoy for a few years while holding onto most of its value, and then step up to an Elise.

The Boxster is not even a consideration.

Volksroddin
Volksroddin Reader
9/21/08 5:43 p.m.

to Wally, Ha haa thats a 911GT1. Pluse they only made like maybe 20 road going versions.

noisycricket
noisycricket New Reader
9/22/08 6:19 p.m.
Woody wrote: I have wrestled with several variations on this same idea in my head for the past couple of years, but always without seeking spousal insight. Now, she's the one suggesting it. Discuss.

Your wife is awesome. Is she married?

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
unrsJZ1opVmrCHUh4YoIn1IKRUitjEtBgCykjeiCHVJqPB9fqmJRCuOVq8ShmhF0