Streetwiseguy UltraDork
7/22/13 5:33 p.m.

A friend at Chumpcar Brainerd:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uScJpe2_9YY&feature=youtu.be

Toyman01
Toyman01 PowerDork
7/22/13 5:37 p.m.

That sucks.

I got similar treatment from someone during a Lemons race. Lucky for me the only thing to hit was grass. Still kind of exciting at 60+

Onetrillionrpm
Onetrillionrpm New Reader
7/22/13 5:51 p.m.

what in the world happened?

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo Mod Squad
7/22/13 6:08 p.m.

I'm guessing Pit Maneuver.

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
7/22/13 6:31 p.m.

how did they hit the neon from behind on a straightaway with very few other cars around them?

poopshovel
poopshovel MegaDork
7/22/13 7:28 p.m.

berkeley. That sucks. Knock on wood, the only real A-holes I've encountered at LeMons were in front of me. People picking "creative" lines, braking suddenly mid-corner, etc. Our other drivers have not been so lucky. Apparently some guys in a Monkey Carlo were not big fans of the Obaminaton CRX. Kept ramming the E36 M3 out of Wayne deliberately, which WE got black flagged for.

Beer Baron
Beer Baron UltimaDork
7/22/13 7:29 p.m.

Maybe trying to draft pass and not swerving around quickly enough to get clear?

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid UberDork
7/22/13 9:19 p.m.

Not trying to threadjack, but Brainerd is still around? I haven't heard about Brainerd in a really really long time.

z31maniac
z31maniac PowerDork
7/22/13 9:37 p.m.

Perfect example of why I'm terrified to try this.

Scary enough even during HPDE's to see people who are clearly in over their head just trying to drive slowly on track...........and then to let people go wheel-to-wheel with no experience.

No thanks.

irish44j
irish44j UberDork
7/22/13 9:40 p.m.
Beer Baron wrote: Maybe trying to draft pass and not swerving around quickly enough to get clear?

I'll be honest, I almost did this at Capitol Offense. Against another e30 no less. I had better speed coming on to the bridge straight than he did, and as I came up behind him and broke out right to pass, he just edged over cresting the hill and I'm pretty sure I came within a millimeter of tagging his right rear corner doing about 10mph faster than he was. I don't think it was an intentional block in that case, he probably didn't see me break out for the pass and was just setting up for the carousel.

Sucked too, because I didn't pass many e30s in that race, lol....

In the case of the vid, though, the Neon clearly was hanging left and there's no reason that someone should have nailed him that hard.

poopshovel
poopshovel MegaDork
7/22/13 9:44 p.m.
z31maniac wrote: Perfect example of why I'm terrified to try this. Scary enough even during HPDE's to see people who are clearly in over their head just trying to drive slowly on track...........and then to let people go wheel-to-wheel with no experience. No thanks.

Bob Costas

turboswede
turboswede PowerDork
7/22/13 9:55 p.m.

Don't let a single online video impact your desire to try it.

Most of the drivers who are complete E36 M3e don't last long on the track before they are minimized (either through their own stupidity, the officials or even their own team members)

I suspect the Volvo? that took out the Neon probably got flagged or screwed themselves up on their own shortly there afterward. With all of the safety equipment required, I can't remember hearing about any injuries from Chump or LeMons racing.

I've done two as a driver and crewed on a few more and most of the accidents are fairly low speed and/or are single car accidents. Injuries are nearly non-existent, even in roll-overs. There were 4 at the Spokane 36-hour race, two of the cars even re-entered the race.

I've spun myself at the entrance to the chicane at Portland, doing two complete 360's, luckily no one was around me. It was my own fault and I adjusted my braking on the next lap. We also were tagged by a CRX that tried to dive-bomb us at the same spot, we cut the fender away from the tire and got back on the track. The CRX driver eventually came over and apologized for not completing the pass before the corner. At that same race we had an epic back/forth race between our ChumpCSX and the GeneralSHO, that alone made it all worth it when they came over with big smiles and extended hands to talk about the awesome race we all just had. Just the fact that two of the fastest FWD production cars from the 80's battled it out on track for hours on end was epic enough, let alone the awesome comradery between the teams and the experience of racing on my home track through the night!

z31maniac
z31maniac PowerDork
7/22/13 10:07 p.m.
poopshovel wrote:
z31maniac wrote: Perfect example of why I'm terrified to try this. Scary enough even during HPDE's to see people who are clearly in over their head just trying to drive slowly on track...........and then to let people go wheel-to-wheel with no experience. No thanks.
Bob Costas

I will wholeheartedly admit it.

I think once you've actually gotten hurt at a racetrack you look at it a little differently.

clownkiller
clownkiller Reader
7/22/13 11:03 p.m.

Cars numbered 78 and is blue from the video. Team Chevette ?? I hear they suck a big bag of dicks, just like Hennessy Honda in Woodstock!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CeqqM37Qb8&list=FLB6uRWjPAI3IROJ3LQWsHbg

clownkiller
clownkiller Reader
7/22/13 11:05 p.m.
poopshovel wrote:
Looks like these guys have lots of track time, Bob Costas
clownkiller
clownkiller Reader
7/22/13 11:27 p.m.

edit: went to far!

novaderrik
novaderrik UberDork
7/23/13 12:43 a.m.

that's just as people really start picking up speed- i think they go almost a mile after coming out of that corner under the bridge without letting up.. could have been a lot worse if it had happened going into the high speed right turn just ahead of them..

Tyler H
Tyler H SuperDork
7/23/13 6:24 a.m.

Especially in Chump, I've seen very few people driving that didn't have some kind of relevant experience. I've seen a lot more asshatted driving in Spec E30 / Pinata vids.

Not sure how you get hit on a straight. What is the Chevette's perspective? Is there video?

tuna55
tuna55 PowerDork
7/23/13 6:36 a.m.

That stinks. I wonder if the Chevette had a brake issue or something - did you guys chat with them after? We always talked with other teams when we had contact, which wasn't that often.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltraDork
7/23/13 7:59 a.m.

The Chevette guys apparently were upset, saying that they had been taken out. Hard to imagine that is a defensible position from that video. Its possible the Neon was drifting left and pulled in front, but it sure doesn't look like he made any sudden moves.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn PowerDork
7/23/13 8:08 a.m.
SyntheticBlinkerFluid wrote: Not trying to threadjack, but Brainerd is still around? I haven't heard about Brainerd in a really really long time.

Considering this video was taken last weekend, I guess it still is. The track was sold a couple years ago and from what I understand the new owners have made a lot of improvements.

clownkiller
clownkiller Reader
7/23/13 9:44 a.m.

They seem to have lots of brakes, and lots of track time too.

http://www.missedshift.com/author/carracer/

In reply to tuna55:

clownkiller
clownkiller Reader
7/23/13 9:54 a.m.

The video looked clear, the Neon wasn't all over the place, and was holding a steady line. Jdmvette is what they call the car.

In reply to Streetwiseguy:

tuna55
tuna55 PowerDork
7/23/13 10:56 a.m.
clownkiller wrote: They seem to have lots of brakes, and lots of track time too. http://www.missedshift.com/author/carracer/ In reply to tuna55:

Good call.

Well, let's see. The hit car was driving perfectly straight, accelerating at normal pace down the side of a straight, leaving plenty or room for faster cars. The hitter was doing god knows what (mascara?) because he just ran into the back of a car that wasn't slowing, wasn't weaving, wasn't in his line, wasn't in a curve... I don't get it. ID10T issues I suspect.

ncjay
ncjay HalfDork
7/23/13 3:49 p.m.

Clearly, it was the fault of the track designer. That straightaway is way too long and far too wide. Of course cars are going to hit each other. What are people thinking? Personally, if I got hit like that, I definitely would have found the driver of the car doing the hitting and we'd have a little chat.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
aSVnpki0H8qXg9V5sRodW3mpcmRHg0ptUP2J9E5gLy0hsXPvfjkYj9i09DDwL2TV