Dootz
Dootz Reader
3/18/24 5:44 p.m.

My Accord has a bit too much body roll stock, and I can't really replace the stock 19mm bar (suffrage has to be dropped).

https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/suspension-14/2013-accord-ex-3-5-suspension-upgrade-65724/

Came across this fellow's post who installed 19mm split collars to allegedly great success in eliminating front roll. Pros/cons of this "cheat"? Install them on the inside of the bushings or outside? And what kind?

APEowner
APEowner UltraDork
3/18/24 6:05 p.m.

I'm very skeptical of the claims that split collars reduced roll.  All they do is keep the bar from walking sideways.  They don't do anything to stiffen the bar.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
3/18/24 6:24 p.m.

Yeah the only way those collars would have a meaningful effect on body roll is if he tightened them against the bushings so much that the bar resists moving at all and begins to act more like a set of torsion-bar springs. Bars moving sideways can affect their rate but only to a miniscule degree, keeping the bar centered is more about making the bar perform consistently and reducing bushing wear.

rdcyclist
rdcyclist HalfDork
3/18/24 6:26 p.m.

Removing the sideways walk will probably improve the response of the bar by removing the lateral vector. Besides, split collars are cheap and it would be good experiment. I'd get four collars and put the first pair on the inside, then on the outside and finally run all four on the inside and outside. About 60 bucks worth of collars. Ruland is a good source for them. The steel ones grip better so here: https://www.ruland.com/msp-19-f.html

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
3/18/24 6:32 p.m.

If you have collars on the inside, you don't need them on the outside and vise versa.

A lot of stock bars have lateral limiters on them. Normally, if there's side force on your bar, you have a problem. But I can't see collars having a meaningful effect on the effective rate of the bar.

dps214
dps214 SuperDork
3/18/24 10:19 p.m.

From the description it sounds like they did something along the lines of wedging the bar in place. That probably works well for a minute...until either the collars work loose or the now immovable bar rips an endlink apart or destroys the mount bushings over time.

Andy Hollis
Andy Hollis
3/19/24 7:40 a.m.

This is like shimming your diff tighter to get an LSD effect.  Yeah, that'll work...for a short while.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr PowerDork
3/19/24 8:23 a.m.

Weld angle iron to the stock swaybar.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
sWc1fShSfa8JaQH2BxwJNZuRbziieHqhNZTtKWhI4HdgBsTlwYzCtBcUbkn4AzVJ