1 2 3
Jerry
Jerry Reader
3/3/13 1:38 p.m.

So I just finished my tax return and getting about $4.5k in a few days/week. (Mostly because I bought a house late 2011 and all of last year is mostly taxes/interest I believe.)

I plan to pay off a debt consolidation loan left over from being with the ex-wife that's nickle/diming me forever & maybe something fun to celebrate, but wouldn't it be nice to blow it ALL on the MR2? Maybe a BEAMS swap and redo the whole suspension, whatever.

What would YOU do with a nice large chunk of $$ from a return if you had no other plans for it? (Or are you already doing that??)

Markde
Markde New Reader
3/3/13 2:02 p.m.

I'm using my meager $1.2k refund as the max budget on adding a turbo to my new <1k e30 vert beater.

Already picked up a t28, modified 524td manifold, and fabbed downpipe. Still have .9k to spare...

EvanB
EvanB PowerDork
3/3/13 2:16 p.m.

Knurled
Knurled UltraDork
3/3/13 2:28 p.m.

Stick it in a bank?

Crazy, I know

wbjones
wbjones UberDork
3/3/13 3:02 p.m.
Knurled wrote: Stick it in a bank? Crazy, I know

pay off the debt = earns you more interest than banked

Jerry
Jerry Reader
3/3/13 3:08 p.m.

In reply to wbjones:

YUP! I figured out this stupid debt consolidation loan is costing me a fortune month-to-month, vs paying it off early. I've been paying an extra $100 for the last 4-5 months to the principal, and very soon it's going bye bye! That's $133/month back to my MR2 spending habits...

Ranger50
Ranger50 UberDork
3/3/13 3:20 p.m.

Most of the refund here went to paying past due bills. What did get spent on vehicles, most of the money went to fix the wife's Av. Although I did spend a few duckets to put a new battery in my Dakota and a new glow plug relay and door lock cylinders for my diesel.

slopecarver
slopecarver Reader
3/3/13 3:22 p.m.

fully fund my 2012 roth ira (I filed it as being fully funded then used my return to fully fund it)

z31maniac
z31maniac PowerDork
3/3/13 3:53 p.m.
Jerry wrote: So I just finished my tax return and getting about $4.5k in a few days/week. (Mostly because I bought a house late 2011 and all of last year is mostly taxes/interest I believe.)

I wonder............our house is so small the interest/property taxes is less than the standard deduction for me. I have to itemize vs standard since my wife itemizes.

I got $2k back this year.

$1k went to the wife to pay her back for Jamaica in November. The other $1k paid for some stuff for the track Miata (exhaust/lightweight flywheel)

However, I changed my withholding this year so I shouldn't get anything back next year.

fritzsch
fritzsch HalfDork
3/3/13 4:07 p.m.

NAWSSSSS

In reality, I'll probably use it for my travels while I'm abroad.

petegossett
petegossett UberDork
3/3/13 4:53 p.m.

Paid back our savings account for the cargo van I bought a couple weeks ago, also put about 1/2 of what was left into savings. Bought shocks/struts/mounts/brakes/tires/tpms sensors for SWMBO's Fit, new front tires for the van and splurged on some new shoes for the Miata.

grafmiata
grafmiata Dork
3/3/13 4:59 p.m.

Mine is ear-marked for equipping the new shop...

So, basically new barbecue, fridge, and tv!!!

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic Dork
3/3/13 5:41 p.m.

I'm buying Yugo parts, and perhaps a shotgun.

Toyman01
Toyman01 PowerDork
3/3/13 5:44 p.m.

My wish list:

Can I keep my money?

I'll end up sending them a couple of grand.

I'm waiting until the last possible moment to do it.

carguy123
carguy123 UltimaDork
3/3/13 6:00 p.m.
Jerry wrote: So I just finished my tax return and getting about $4.5k in a few days/week. (Mostly because I bought a house late 2011 and all of last year is mostly taxes/interest I believe.)

Quoted for truth.

bgkast
bgkast Reader
3/3/13 6:05 p.m.

I wish I would get my tax refund.

m4ff3w
m4ff3w UltraDork
3/3/13 6:17 p.m.

Nothing for me.

Markde
Markde New Reader
3/3/13 6:28 p.m.

Sounds like I'm the only one having any seriously irresponsible fun with my $.

CLynn85
CLynn85 Reader
3/3/13 6:44 p.m.

Looks like I'm the only one not getting one

aussiesmg
aussiesmg UltimaDork
3/3/13 6:48 p.m.
CLynn85 wrote: Looks like I'm the only one not getting one

No you're not, the joys of being self employed

Toyman01
Toyman01 PowerDork
3/3/13 6:55 p.m.
aussiesmg wrote:
No you're not, the joys of being self employed

Yep, but it's worth it.

GhiaMonster
GhiaMonster Reader
3/3/13 7:03 p.m.

Tried to not get one this year and not give the gov't a free loan but did anyway. Quickly turned it into a new mountain bike with the rest going into the bank. (Once I actually get it)

JohnyHachi6
JohnyHachi6 HalfDork
3/3/13 7:46 p.m.
Datsun1500 wrote:
If you do it right you shouldn't be getting one. I'm surprised when people are happy about getting one, you have loaned the government your money for free.

Yeah, I'm always a little surprised by this too. Wouldn't you rather just be getting paid more all year?

I usually end up owing the gov't a little bit at the end of the year, but then I've had all that money to invest and spend during the year.

johnnytorque
johnnytorque Reader
3/3/13 7:51 p.m.

I look at my tax return like forced savings. Even though I'm not earning anything on it, It's still nice to get a big cheque. Being a car enthusiast, I wouldn't have the ability to do anything other than spend it on car stuff if I had it in my hands throughout the year anyway.

Gonna buy me some speed parts for my 944 if I get a return, still waiting from my tax guy...

FranktheTank
FranktheTank New Reader
3/3/13 7:58 p.m.

I loaned the government a couple grand and after paying the state even more the Feds gave me 375 back.

I put it my general truck fund account. It's enough to buy (a) tire.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
rs9dA11AK9hIKDmLU9qBxL60sBytYf2B6KzpBWDkFyqxT0Y5vdhJSHftKTl711P3