1 2 3 4
RacetruckRon
RacetruckRon SuperDork
8/27/23 1:24 p.m.
ProDarwin said:

On the original topic... without major mods, which platform is more fun:  Caprice PPV or Taurus Police Interceptor?

Longitudinal pushrod V8 or transverse twin turbo DOHC V6? I know which one I'd rather wrench on especially if it's modified.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
8/27/23 1:26 p.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

EXACTLY. 

Like, it's a car from GTA. Except it's got an LS in it. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
8/27/23 1:29 p.m.
RacetruckRon said:
ProDarwin said:

On the original topic... without major mods, which platform is more fun:  Caprice PPV or Taurus Police Interceptor?

Longitudinal pushrod V8 or transverse twin turbo DOHC V6? I know which one I'd rather wrench on especially if it's modified.

In this case, the Ford.  The 3.5 is actually pretty easy to service, and doesn't need service all that often.

It's the rest of the car that sucks.

buzzboy
buzzboy SuperDork
8/27/23 1:47 p.m.

With how fast the 3.5EB F150 is, I bet it screams in an awd sedan.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
8/27/23 2:01 p.m.

In reply to buzzboy :

Google says an SHO is close to 4400lb, which shocked me because I thought they were closer to 4000.

Google also says 3.5 Ecoboost F-150s start at 4600lb-ish.

Taurus is a very, very large car.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
8/27/23 3:05 p.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

I was about to disagree with you, but I drove a 95 9C1 for 12 years, so I probably am desensitized.

Truth about big, modern cars being deceptively small inside.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
8/27/23 3:27 p.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

"Taurus vs 9c1" is getting me a lot of handgun pics.

But look at this:

The Taurus makes the Vic look small.

I was not kidding about the Flex comment, they are made on the same chassis and a good number of parts interchange.

RevRico
RevRico MegaDork
8/27/23 3:29 p.m.

I remember asking about the Taurus before, was it the front diff or the trans that's made of glass?

I remember people trying to talk me out of it as a daily rally crosser for one of those reasons, despite the prices.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
8/27/23 3:31 p.m.

In reply to RevRico :

I wouldn't rallycross one for the same reason I would not autocross an F350 smiley

I take ANY claims of AWD fragility in a high powered car with a grain of salt.  It is an (over) two ton car that can run 12s.  That isn't weak, that is strong!  People also used to whine about DSMs having weak transmissions, when they were probably the strongest transverse AWD manual trans made.

P3PPY
P3PPY SuperDork
8/27/23 3:36 p.m.

In reply to RevRico :

Poked around about them last night and here are some random facts I picked up:

it's a Haldex AWD system in the earlier ones and a like JTEK(??) in the later. IIRC early ones were LSD up front and open in the back. Early ones, at least, could go 100% front or rear. Later ones, at least, used the brakes to simulate LSD. 
No one was complaining about the diffs that I recall. 

Not trying to be all RWD/V8 purist (which is my inclination), but if power is what you're after, wouldn't anything LS already be a known quantity? Or is there something I'm missing, such as a bulletproof drivetrain on the Ford that negates the LS advantage 

RevRico
RevRico MegaDork
8/27/23 3:54 p.m.

In reply to P3PPY :

I see them between $3500-6000, awd, turbo charged, holds the family. 

Meanwhile STI and EVO are umm not $3500-6000. 

I don't care about power, or 1/4 mile times, I like that they appear to be a bargain in the boosted awd sedan world, just Leary of gotchas involved, like dodges and rust.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
8/27/23 4:12 p.m.

In reply to RevRico :

If you do not like rust, then a Taurus is not for you.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
8/27/23 4:45 p.m.

This doesn't surprise me. That's strong mazda/ford era, and my god those poor mazdas rust if you look at them sideways. 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
8/27/23 4:50 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
8/27/23 4:51 p.m.

In reply to Mndsm :

I mean, all Fords rust horribly.  Mazdas made in Ford plants in Flat Rock seem to fare a little better than Mazdas made in Hiroshima but not by much.

P3PPY
P3PPY SuperDork
8/28/23 7:40 a.m.
RevRico said:

In reply to P3PPY :

I don't care about power, or 1/4 mile times, I like that they appear to be a bargain in the boosted awd sedan world, just Leary of gotchas involved, like dodges and rust.

Yeah good point there. I guess it may largely depend on the OP's desires then

P3PPY
P3PPY SuperDork
8/28/23 7:52 a.m.
Mndsm said:

https://www.motortrend.com/reviews/chevrolet-9c3-detective-caprice-vs-dodge-charger-pursuit-vs-ford-police-interceptor/

so i lied and it was motor trend. 

The Taurus (sorry PR lady, it's a Taurus) was made to withstand hitting an 8" curb at 40 mph!?

Color me impressed.

That's an interesting article. Regardless of what the OP chooses, I may get one of these for myself. Anyone rallyX them yet?

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
8/28/23 8:53 a.m.
P3PPY said:
RevRico said:

In reply to P3PPY :

Yeah good point there. I guess it may largely depend on the OP's desires then

OP has no idea what he wants. He's looked at everything from an ND miata to a japanese hearse. Today. 

06HHR (Forum Supporter)
06HHR (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
9/5/23 10:28 p.m.

Just saw this browsing the list of Craig https://jacksonville.craigslist.org/ctd/d/jacksonville-2013-chevy-caprice-4dr/7661491336.html

It's like the universe is reaching out..  One of us needs this now...

ANND the post is gone already.  Looks like that may have been a scammer.  Carry on..

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ SuperDork
9/6/23 10:36 a.m.
Appleseed said:

Found this in Oregon. It's not helping.

https://portland.craigslist.org/clc/ctd/d/crescent-video-2013-chevrolet-caprice/7656235253.html

Just what I need to make people get out of my way.   They won't.  They'll slow down to exactly the speed limit.  

P3PPY
P3PPY SuperDork
9/6/23 11:02 a.m.

I've seen plates "NOTACOP"

not that you can trust.. 

which brings up a new question:

HOW does one mark up or otherwise decorate a former cop car so it's OBVIOUS it's not a police car?

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltimaDork
9/6/23 11:32 a.m.

In reply to P3PPY :

Get rid of the push bar and spotlight. For Fords, change out the grill with one with chrome on it. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
9/6/23 11:54 a.m.
A 401 CJ said:
Appleseed said:

Found this in Oregon. It's not helping.

https://portland.craigslist.org/clc/ctd/d/crescent-video-2013-chevrolet-caprice/7656235253.html

Just what I need to make people get out of my way.   They won't.  They'll slow down to exactly the speed limit.  

I had a coworker with a white P71. He said it was a real problem on two-lane roads. Haven't asked the PPV owner, but they were never as iconic a cop car.

My grandparents used to drive a white (civilian with chrome) Crown Vic back in the day. They used to get obscene gestures from people. I think they found it pretty funny.

STM317
STM317 PowerDork
9/6/23 12:38 p.m.
P3PPY said:

HOW does one mark up or otherwise decorate a former cop car so it's OBVIOUS it's not a police car?

Wheels and tires go a long way. Then remove as many exterior ligths, push bars, and flat black metal or plastic bits as you can. 

The Caprice is pretty uncommon anyway so it might not be confused for an active duty police vehicle, but opting for some Holden trim bits really dresses it up into a pretty handsome Q ship:

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo UltraDork
9/6/23 11:02 p.m.

Isnt the Taurus of that generation basically an Explorer with a trunk?

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
5Ykxs55ZUITnL77y47clmw4RZjASmKebJ5fb6Sjqr3SQlGcF1NuNBHAJQczAse5O