2 3 4 5
Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
6/16/23 2:32 p.m.

If we are including Anime, while the art, direction, and dubbing are typical early 90s, Kenichi Sonada's incredible attention to the cars and guns makes Gunsmith Cats a fun one.

mr2peak
mr2peak Dork
6/16/23 2:44 p.m.

nlevine
nlevine Reader
6/16/23 3:41 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

Love me some Corvette Summer!

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
6/16/23 4:00 p.m.
Appleseed said:

If we are including Anime, while the art, direction, and dubbing are typical early 90s, Kenichi Sonada's incredible attention to the cars and guns makes Gunsmith Cats a fun one.

There was the time some punk in an FD got chased down and passed by a delivery boy who didn't know he was racing

Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter)
Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
6/16/23 5:29 p.m.
Appleseed said:

Thank You!

If we're going this way, Riding Bean needs mention. Look for Blues Brothers homages.

Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter)
Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
6/16/23 5:38 p.m.

So the big question is: "If a group of GRM folks got together and filmed a car chase, what would it look like?"

Lots of precision driving with perfect apexes and no camera tricks? Close calls and vintage cars making it through without a scratch?

I don't remember ever seeing an "in flight refueling" done before. (Fuel from a support vehicle pumped to a car at speed) . Ok, not super exciting, but an interesting idea for a plot line involving not stopping.

superfund
superfund New Reader
6/17/23 12:46 a.m.

In reply to Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter) :

Need for Speed did, the support truck in that movie was awesome

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
6/17/23 5:05 p.m.
Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter) said:

So the big question is: "If a group of GRM folks got together and filmed a car chase, what would it look like?"

Lots of precision driving with perfect apexes and no camera tricks? Close calls and vintage cars making it through without a scratch?

I don't remember ever seeing an "in flight refueling" done before. (Fuel from a support vehicle pumped to a car at speed) . Ok, not super exciting, but an interesting idea for a plot line involving not stopping.

Never trust an engine without pushrods, or a transmission that shifts by itself.

It would look like "Baby Driver"

jfryjfry
jfryjfry SuperDork
6/17/23 5:28 p.m.

In reply to SV reX :

Hahahahaha!

ddavidv
ddavidv UltimaDork
6/18/23 7:33 a.m.

BTW, if you haven't found "Car Chase Wonderland" on YouTube yet, you need to.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
6/19/23 9:38 a.m.
SV reX said:
Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter) said:

Never trust an engine without pushrods, or a transmission that shifts by itself.

It would look like "Baby Driver"

Yeah, the perfect GRM chase might well be Baby Driver. I mean, one of us actually made it. 

darkbuddha
darkbuddha HalfDork
9/24/23 1:38 p.m.

I don't know why this one always gets overlooked on these lists, but there's just enough cool stuff in it that it should at least be in the consideration:

Noddaz
Noddaz PowerDork
9/24/23 2:40 p.m.

The original The Italian Job.

Those Minis could really move.

And by definition, any movie involving racing would be out despite the fact that the rest of the cars are chasing the leader.

BTW and off topic, how do write Mini to mean the British Leyland (?) Mini and not the BMW Mini?

ddavidv
ddavidv UltimaDork
9/25/23 6:43 a.m.

Mini - BMC

MINI - bloated BMW version

RMVR53
RMVR53 New Reader
9/25/23 10:28 a.m.

uhmmm how 'bout a whole movie?

Vanishing Point

Sparkie
Sparkie New Reader
9/25/23 9:00 p.m.

This was a low budget film and I don't actually even know the name of it, but it's one of my favorite chase scenes, and it was shot in my little hometown of Marion, NC and Asheville, NC. The little Cafe they start out in has been a barber shop for as long as i remember, but you can see the sign for The McDowell News in the opening bit. 

https://youtu.be/ejYhlYrhV9M?feature=shared

VolvoHeretic
VolvoHeretic Dork
9/25/23 10:05 p.m.

I always dreamt that I was involved in this car chase with my Volvo. 

And, how about a good tank chase scene in St. Petersburg?smiley Bonus points for naming what kind of tank that is.

Dootz
Dootz Reader
9/25/23 10:11 p.m.

The chase scene in The Nightcrawler was pretty high adrenaline (starts at 2:38 for those that don't want to wait for the build-up):

https://youtu.be/CVPocfP-qaI?si=26P9OhOBbx4z4bGD

Dootz
Dootz Reader
9/25/23 10:11 p.m.

The chase scene in The Nightcrawler was pretty high adrenaline (starts at 2:38 for those that don't want to wait for the build-up):

https://youtu.be/CVPocfP-qaI?si=zetZ8vAMcI3YxKDy

VolvoHeretic
VolvoHeretic Dork
9/25/23 10:29 p.m.

And who can forget that car chase masterpiece, The Wraith with a 440hp 194mph Dodge 4 banger M4S?

Wikipedia.org: Dodge M4S

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ SuperDork
9/26/23 9:35 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:

And sharing this one for JG.

I've always suspected that that black T/A in Corvette Summer was a former Officer Poncherello car from "CHiP's".  It's the T/A shaker in the Formula hood.  Maybe it was a thing at the time but I never saw a T/A like that except on "CHiP's".

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
10/12/23 10:26 a.m.

Seemed appropriate to share with the rest of the class.

jharry3
jharry3 Dork
10/12/23 10:56 a.m.

There was a movie in the early '70's called The Bootleggers that had a pretty cool chase scene of Model A's on gravel roads.  

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
10/12/23 12:45 p.m.

My faves have already been posted, so not much to add from an established cinema perspective...

But I have a buddy who I grew up riding BMX with, and while I am content with looking longingly at my mid-school steed every so often and fondly reminiscing  about the glory days, he kept the adrenaline drip at wide open and took the need for thrills to the next level, and became a Hollywood stuntman. He actually was connected to Baby Driver and several other high profile action movies. His youtube channel isn't the most active, but he makes these vids with his own cars,  which he wrenches on in his own garage, and in some cases the vids are shot on land he bought for the sole purpose of hooning on.

Tyler Witte is living my childhood dream. Hats off to you my friend!

Daylan C.
Daylan C. PowerDork
10/12/23 1:28 p.m.

Kinda simple but the coal truck chase scene from Fire Down Below was always one of my favorites.

2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
kJlL193URWeCkbePeI0erBrHdlLXYzRS46WEy8fRkOJhvrOA9hc5Z4oHrqBTWiVJ