1 2
Captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
Captdownshift (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
9/28/23 11:10 p.m.

Yeah, an i20N would've definitely tickled my interest. 

kevinatfms
kevinatfms HalfDork
9/29/23 8:06 a.m.

I just want a hatchback version that isnt a Kona.

I30N or I20N here in the states would be killer right now with no Fiesta ST available. Id be in line for an I20N the minute they announced it.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
9/29/23 8:10 a.m.

In reply to kevinatfms :

I would trade in the Forte. No lie. Damn the repurcussions at home with the wife. 

Aaron_King
Aaron_King UltimaDork
9/29/23 8:59 a.m.

In reply to bobzilla :

I like the KIA styling much better than Hyundai for the most part, so 100% what you said.

goingnowherefast
goingnowherefast Reader
10/10/23 12:03 p.m.
Captdownshift (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to goingnowherefast :

I'm curious as to the recipe for getting to 340whp, as that suspension upgrades and tires to fit wider rubber are of potential interest to me. 

You can make that with just a tune, actually. I have bolt-ons and I'm a bit detuned so I can turn laps all day without a thought. Suspension wise I just have camber mods and bushings, and 18x9.5 265/35/18 RE71RS's. It is a very potent and competitive platform in Gridlife Street FWD and SCCA TT S3/T3. Here's a before/after dyno plot from another gentlemen, only difference is a flash tune (red) and blue is stock.

Bluesunshine
Bluesunshine New Reader
1/18/24 4:04 p.m.

A Honda dealership tried to sell me a Civic SI for 34k at a 5k markup. They did me a favor bc I ended up test-driving a Hyundai Elantra N. I drove it off the lot the same day for MSRP, which was the same price as a Civic SI. I got a car comparable to a Type - R for the price of an SI. I have put over 6k miles on the car and tracked it. I love it and I couldn't be happier with my purchase.

thashane
thashane Reader
2/2/24 1:00 p.m.
Bluesunshine said:

A Honda dealership tried to sell me a Civic SI for 34k at a 5k markup. They did me a favor bc I ended up test-driving a Hyundai Elantra N. I drove it off the lot the same day for MSRP, which was the same price as a Civic SI. I got a car comparable to a Type - R for the price of an SI. I have put over 6k miles on the car and tracked it. I love it and I couldn't be happier with my purchase.

That's basically my experience. Honda wanted $10k over on Si's, so I decided not to buy anything and just dump more money into the MINI. 6 months later I was shopping for a car again, $5k over on Si's and $15-20k over on FL5 CTR's. Same story for GR Corollas. Someone posted on the Autocross subreddit about the EN being a potential DS monster, and I had never even considered them until that point. Never even opened YouTube videos about them, if it wasn't comparing it to another car I was shopping. And still I was like -meh, Hyundai. Did my research, test drove a DCT, and bought an MT as soon as I found one for MSRP.

The DCT was fun and seemed very capable, but I wanted to row my own gears. I don't regret getting the MT, especially because I needed the no-sunroof helmet space being over 6 1/2 feet tall.

CrashDummy
CrashDummy Reader
2/6/24 10:12 a.m.

GRM Team and N owners: What has your experience been with "octane learning" on these cars? I've been researching the EN and it seems pretty strange. I'm used to filling the tank and jumping right into autocross, track, or fun street driving. From what I can tell on Reddit/forums these cars need an extended "learning" drive every time you fill up before you get full power. Apparently this learning drive sometimes works and sometimes doesn't and is especially challenging on the MT cars? So, what's the deal? How hard was it to "unlock" full power before running laps at the FIRM? 

turboshadow
turboshadow New Reader
2/6/24 11:15 a.m.

In reply to CrashDummy :

On my DCT it's not too bad, it usually takes about 10 minutes on the highway in the top gear above 70 mph and it works.  I've done this at every time trial event that I have done, it does suck that the gas tank is on the smaller side so you have to be a bit strategic about it.   I don't trust it sitting overnight so I always do it the day of the event.

turboshadow
turboshadow New Reader
2/6/24 11:22 a.m.

CrashDummy
CrashDummy Reader
2/6/24 1:44 p.m.
turboshadow said:

In reply to CrashDummy :

On my DCT it's not too bad, it usually takes about 10 minutes on the highway in the top gear above 70 mph and it works.  I've done this at every time trial event that I have done, it does suck that the gas tank is on the smaller side so you have to be a bit strategic about it.   I don't trust it sitting overnight so I always do it the day of the event.

A little lame that you can't refuel at the track and go right back out for more fun, but I guess with some planning you can work around it. 

Does the car tell you when it's "learned" or do you just have to go WOT and see what it gives you for boost pressure? If you go WOT to check and it's not learned yet do you need to start the process over? 

turboshadow
turboshadow New Reader
2/6/24 1:56 p.m.
CrashDummy said:
turboshadow said:

In reply to CrashDummy :

A little lame that you can't refuel at the track and go right back out for more fun, but I guess with some planning you can work around it. 

Does the car tell you when it's "learned" or do you just have to go WOT and see what it gives you for boost pressure? If you go WOT to check and it's not learned yet do you need to start the process over? 

You have  to go WOT to check, so that means you pretty much are starting over since it most likely shifted out of the highest gear.  You will see higher boost and higher torque numbers to know it worked.

There was also a rumor that if you only added  3 gallons or less it wouldn’t reset, but that didn’t work for me last time I tried. 

Since I've been doing time trials I can make it through a full day without needing gas, but doing a full day of 20 minute sessions would become an issue.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
2/6/24 4:43 p.m.
turboshadow said:

In reply to CrashDummy :

This I've never understood. The Elantra and Forte share the same platform, underpinnings etc. but the Forte has a 14 gallon tank. 

thashane
thashane Reader
2/7/24 4:01 p.m.

In reply to CrashDummy :

My friend did a track day at Laguna and fueled up 2x during. It's 15 psi vs 18-20 psi(plus the associated timing).

In my opinion, with the Nov OTA update, my MT has been octane learning much easier than before. I don't try anything to convince it to, but I have a longer commute. I think most people complain about it, because they drive around in N mode constantly, and it won't learn in sport or N. Mine learns in eco/normal with revmatch on.

Bluesunshine
Bluesunshine New Reader
3/22/24 11:49 a.m.

I bought a 2023 6-speed Elantra N after test-driving it and considering my value proposition. After 6 months I am absolutely N love. It is like that lover that maybe isn't as good-looking as some others but treats you right and is magic in bed. That Elantra N looks better and better to me every time I look at it. I just know this won't end in divorce.

Mezus
Mezus New Reader
4/3/24 9:37 p.m.

In reply to RadBarchetta :

What if you never have to meet your salesman? I bought mine completely online, no haggling, for under MSRP, and they delivered it to me for free. Try doing that with a type R. 

theruleslawyer
theruleslawyer Reader
4/4/24 12:16 p.m.
turboshadow said:

Wow that sounds really irritating. I tend to fuel after each session and having to take a 5+ minute drive isn't realistic. Hopefully it can be coded out.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
na7f3MIfMXZ5XxXgQ9nGr2HGkniJHGuJxNyeH6rZ1YkBsmGiBlfNxlPwdl6VpBOn