16 17 18
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
8/2/24 3:31 p.m.

I haven't shared this news yet. I sold my 88 Silverado to my neighbor after he had his truck totaled while parked, then got T-boned in his Acura. 
Here's what is likely the last photo before it was wrecked. Elderly driver turned across traffic in front of him. 

It's totaled. 

seeker589
seeker589 Reader
8/2/24 7:22 p.m.

I got one, too! His name is Walt - after Walt Longmire of Craig Johnson fiction.

1996 Silverado C1500

4L60E

posi rear

15x8 rallys from summit and poverty caps

SEADave
SEADave Dork
8/11/24 2:47 p.m.

What is the current thinking on OEM style brake upgrades for the daily driven GMT400?   Mine is a 99 K1500 GMC Suburban, half-ton with six lugs, rear drums, and a regular vacuum booster.   We just drive it like an old 4x4 Suburban and even for those purposes the brake have never been great. 

I have read a bunch of threads about using the GMT800 master and other similar upgrades but am still unclear on the benefit and what it takes to make the swap.   There is a really great thread on here about upgrading brakes on 3/4 ton GMT400's, but unfortunately won't work for me.  It is worth it to upgrade the master?  What else needs to change?   Is there a similar swap for calipers, or are those ok once you upgrade the master?  What is the easy route on these?   Thanks!  

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
8/11/24 5:00 p.m.

Ive started poking around looking too for my c1500. Ive already done the gmt800 master, and will say that im not that impressed with the improvement. It actually never locks up to engage the abs on dry pavement anymore no matter what i do. 

Cousin_Eddie (Forum Supporter)
Cousin_Eddie (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
8/11/24 5:09 p.m.

I'm sure my solution to the crappy GMT400 brakes won't be popular, but it worked.

I converted my truck to earlier lines and proportioning valve arrangement and completely deleted the ABS unit. 

I used parts off a 1990 model truck from the junkyard.

They work well now. 

SEADave
SEADave Dork
8/11/24 10:34 p.m.

So I've been reading up on brake upgrades.   There are mixed reports on the GMT800 M/C.    

Another member gearheadE30 did a great write up on the low drag system which I think is what I have - RPO JB6.  Apparently cop tahoes and some other GMT400's had a non-low drag system under RPO JB7 with the bigger rear drums, and I'm looking into what's involved with that.   Or maybe just replace like for like for now.    The good thing is that parts are cheap enough on these.   

solfly
solfly SuperDork
8/13/24 6:50 a.m.

There's a way to get the newer AWD Astro knuckles and brakes on there for the 4wd GMT400s. I never read up on it too much since it doesn't apply for mine.

solfly
solfly SuperDork
8/13/24 6:51 a.m.

budget_bandit
budget_bandit Reader
8/13/24 9:23 a.m.

In reply to solfly :

As far as I know, the astro LCAs are a direct swap, so if the knuckle had the same upper ball joint taper as the 400 it might be a bolt on

solfly
solfly SuperDork
8/13/24 3:45 p.m.

https://www.gmt400.com/threads/nbs-astro-knuckle-brake-upgrade.20774/

16 17 18

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
6nOZawPkjLN4R2qAEbymv9FImkP8RX1X3bZfzXtQTjWV9kEl45HAqJ4ShJRtt4vN