1 2 3
dean1484
dean1484 PowerDork
11/18/13 2:10 p.m.
Rusnak_322 wrote:
dean1484 wrote: "Mini" is now a line of cars not a model of car any more. Same as BMW is a line of cars and the 3 series is a model. IT also makes the soccer moms feel good when they say to there eco friendly green friends "I drive a Mini". What she is not saying is that it probably bigger than most of the normal Acura's. MB's and what not. The most recent "Mini" I saw was close to, if not the same size as the current explorer or Acura MDX.
Really?? as big as a MDX or explorer? As far as I know, the countryman is the least mini MINI Mini Countryman - Height – 61.5 / Width – 70.4 / Length – 161.7 Acura MDX - Height – 78.5 / Width – 68.2 / Length – 191.6 2013 Porsche 911 - Height – 51.3 / Width – 71.2 / Length – 176.8 2013 BMW 3 series sedan - Height – 56.3 / Width – 71.3 / Length – 182.5

You forgot the explorer. And why did you put the 3 series sedan in there. I was not comparing it to the Mini it is an example of a car model of the BMW line. Same as the Clubman (or what ever you call it) is a model of the current Mini car line.

Frigg-in-A why do people really care about this at all.

dean1484
dean1484 PowerDork
11/18/13 2:12 p.m.

Actually BMW makes the Mini so Mini is a subset of BMW and the models of the mini are a further sub set of BMWs Mini line up. LOL this is fun.

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
11/18/13 2:12 p.m.
Rusnak_322 wrote:
Javelin wrote:
Rusnak_322 wrote: In any case, it is less than the growth of the 911 from model - has Porsche jumped as well??
Yes, absolutely. They are taking away all the things that made the 911 great (rear weight bias for superior traction out of a corner, excellent communicative steering, light weight, and full driver involvement) and turning it into an emasculated status symbol that only sells based on it's heritage.
that is faster for 100% of the drivers 100% of the time? don't get me wrong, I hate progress as well. I want a clutch pedal. I want light weight over safety. I am looking to get another Miata when I get rid of my MINI S.

Except that it's not...

dean1484
dean1484 PowerDork
11/18/13 2:13 p.m.

"Who" is on first.. . . . .No he is one second .. . . LOL

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
11/18/13 2:16 p.m.

In reply to dean1484:

Yeah, I don't get the measuring, either. The MINI has obviously been designed as bigger than the Mini, and keeps getting fatter. The Countryman is quite large for a "small" car.

Rusnak_322
Rusnak_322 HalfDork
11/18/13 2:18 p.m.
dean1484 wrote:
Rusnak_322 wrote:
dean1484 wrote: "Mini" is now a line of cars not a model of car any more. Same as BMW is a line of cars and the 3 series is a model. IT also makes the soccer moms feel good when they say to there eco friendly green friends "I drive a Mini". What she is not saying is that it probably bigger than most of the normal Acura's. MB's and what not. The most recent "Mini" I saw was close to, if not the same size as the current explorer or Acura MDX.
Really?? as big as a MDX or explorer? As far as I know, the countryman is the least mini MINI Mini Countryman - Height – 61.5 / Width – 70.4 / Length – 161.7 Acura MDX - Height – 78.5 / Width – 68.2 / Length – 191.6 2013 Porsche 911 - Height – 51.3 / Width – 71.2 / Length – 176.8 2013 BMW 3 series sedan - Height – 56.3 / Width – 71.3 / Length – 182.5
You forgot the explorer. And why did you put the 3 series sedan in there. I was not comparing it to the Mini it is an example of a car model of the BMW line. Same as the Clubman (or what ever you call it) is a model of the current Mini car line. Frigg-in-A why do people really care about this at all.

Man, you are the one getting worked up and spouting made up crap. Once it is on the internets, it is fact unless someone bored at work posts facts. that's where I come in.

If you don't care, don't post.

dean1484
dean1484 PowerDork
11/18/13 2:29 p.m.

I thought I was the only board person at work.

dean1484
dean1484 PowerDork
11/18/13 2:49 p.m.

Rusnak_322 posts Pathfinder measurements in 3. .. . . 2. . .. . . 1 .. . . .

dean1484
dean1484 PowerDork
11/18/13 2:58 p.m.

Actually a serious question about the countryman. What is the ground clearance? It is not listed on edmunds

Klayfish
Klayfish SuperDork
11/18/13 3:05 p.m.
dean1484 wrote: Actually a serious question about the countryman. What is the ground clearance? It is not listed on edmunds

A tall speed bump in the mall parking lot...

motomad1
motomad1 New Reader
11/18/13 4:42 p.m.

In reply to SyntheticBlinkerFluid:

It's not the additional, negligible, size, the design does not fit. Small it down. Were these designers referencing Disney's, Cars?

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 Dork
11/18/13 4:47 p.m.

I think Rusnak did a perfectly reasonable thing. Instead of saying "no, you're wrong", and leaving it at that, he said, "no, you're wrong, and here's the measurements". No need to get panties wadded, brother. We're all friends here.

motomad1
motomad1 New Reader
11/18/13 5:01 p.m.
N Sperlo wrote: Very much so.

Not sure of scale here, but I am liking a size up to compete with the toyo FJ. Could be awesome.

dean1484
dean1484 PowerDork
11/18/13 5:48 p.m.

Completely personal opinion here but small and ugly = cute. Big and ugly = well big and ugly. The whole cute thing does not scale well.

The reason I was asking about ground clearance is that it is given for the Explorer something like 9 inches. If the Mini has a clearance of say 5 inches then the size of the two are getting a lot closer than what the initial specs indicate.

RealMiniDriver
RealMiniDriver UltraDork
11/18/13 7:59 p.m.

The real mini didn't grow in 41 years of production.

This upstart gets bigger every few years. Hell, the Countryman is bigger than my Subie in every dimension - and weight - but overall length.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
11/18/13 8:07 p.m.

In reply to RealMiniDriver:

My MINI is bigger than your Mini.

I like it.

And Kudos to them for a bit of rather brilliant marketing.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
11/18/13 8:11 p.m.
dean1484 wrote: Actually BMW makes the Mini so Mini is a subset of BMW and the models of the mini are a further sub set of BMWs Mini line up. LOL this is fun.

Bah.

BMW owns MINI. They are different companies.

They also own Rolls Royce. Is a Silver Shadow a BMW?

BMW dealers have to license a separate dealership to handle MINI's. They don't get to put them on the floor or service them just because they are BMW.

sanman
sanman Reader
11/18/13 8:15 p.m.

While the dimensions may not have grown much, like and older person, the belt line seems to be rising ever higher.

kanaric
kanaric Reader
11/19/13 1:17 a.m.

downgrade the engine, downgrade the chassis, sell at a higher price. No thx.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic UltraDork
11/19/13 1:41 a.m.

Today a friend and I concluded that the old wacky Bavarian BMW we all knew and loved would have taken the original mini body exterior and stuffed something modern and safe (enough to meet NCAP) under it. Not built some enlarged retro themed thing.

kanaric
kanaric Reader
11/19/13 2:15 a.m.
Hell, the Countryman is bigger than my Subie in every dimension - and weight - but overall length.

I can forgive this since this is a car company, not a single model for a smaller company like the old mini. They can have larger minis, so long as they make a smaller mini.

Whats stupid is the larger minis still have the small mini engine and power, that is nonsense.

AverageH
AverageH New Reader
11/19/13 4:08 a.m.
sanman wrote: While the dimensions may not have grown much, like and older person, the belt line seems to be rising ever higher.

No no... the belt-line remains the same, the belly just hangs over it.

Ian F
Ian F UltimaDork
11/19/13 4:42 a.m.
RealMiniDriver wrote: The real mini didn't grow in 41 years of production.

Well, that's not entirely true... the later Sportpack models with 13" wheels got a bit wider with those fender flares.

RealMiniDriver
RealMiniDriver UltraDork
11/19/13 5:59 a.m.
Ian F wrote:
RealMiniDriver wrote: The real mini didn't grow in 41 years of production.
Well, that's not entirely true... the later Sportpack models with 13" wheels got a bit wider with those fender flares.

Haha. Good one. You got me. :D

Chris_V
Chris_V UltraDork
11/19/13 7:49 a.m.
Javelin wrote: In reply to dean1484: Yeah, I don't get the measuring, either.

Simple, it'a about knowledge and fact's not just letting people spout unsupported opinion. But oh, I forgot, actually knowing what the berkeley you're talking about is not what's wanted on the internet anymore.

The MINI is STILL smaller than the Golf and Polo and is about the smallest B segment car you can buy here or in Europe. It's barely grown since it was reintroduced.

I'm not a fan of the taillights on the new one, but overall, it's a nice small car. As the owner of an '11 MINI, I could see replacing mine with one when it comes time.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
YqipjJgChuewvkcTa1T80UReUbd6eK05ewW3sztg9ZUDmJv9VsSz1IcsoqS1G42h