1 2 3
J.A. Ackley
J.A. Ackley Senior Editor
1/24/23 3:14 p.m.
feature_image

It’s got the most powerful mass-produced Mazda engine ever. It’s rear-wheel-drive (“well, rear-biased all-wheel-drive”). And … it’s another SUV.

Why couldn’t it be a car, like the Mazda RX-Vision concept that was revealed in 2015?

Mazda recently announ…

Read the rest of the story

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
1/24/23 5:16 p.m.

So it sounds that Mazda will be one of the first to make the jump back to an I6.  I was kind of working on one as my last project a year ago- but then I stopped working.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
1/24/23 6:02 p.m.

Not a lot of automakers are introducing ground-up new combustion engines right now. Mazda does not follow the crowd.

They need a halo car other than a sub-$30k roadster. They need that RX-Vision. So cool.

J.A. Ackley
J.A. Ackley Senior Editor
1/24/23 7:37 p.m.

I've been hearing rumors of this inline-six engine for awhile. I've also been hearing rumors of a RWD, inline-six sport coupe. Well, one of two rumors came true.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
1/24/23 7:52 p.m.

Did you guys get any details of the I6?  Theoretically, a single turbo version is a big help for emissions.  

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
1/24/23 7:52 p.m.

Mazda explicitly said they were building a straight six back in 2019, I think. The RWD coupe part clearly comes from the RX-Vision.

VolvoHeretic
VolvoHeretic HalfDork
1/24/23 8:03 p.m.

I wonder if it will fit in a Miata? I stuffed a Volvo 6 cylinder into a 4 banger Volvo 1800 45 years ago... hint, hint.smiley

Opti
Opti SuperDork
1/24/23 8:30 p.m.

If this was out I would have bought it instead of the Jeep for the wife. Tried to get her in a cx50 but she wasn't a fan

Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter)
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
1/24/23 8:32 p.m.
alfadriver said:

So it sounds that Mazda will be one of the first to make the jump back to an I6.  I was kind of working on one as my last project a year ago- but then I stopped working.

Stellantis just came out with one, too. Interesting how cyclical these things can be.

CyberEric
CyberEric Dork
1/24/23 9:55 p.m.

If Mazda puts this in a sedan or a coupe with a great chassis and the steering from the CX-50 (that Throttle House compared to Lotus steering), I will be very excited!

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
1/24/23 10:03 p.m.

I'm curious what the price of the new CX-90 will be. The better half liked the CX-5 loaner we had a few years ago. 

Sine_Qua_Non
Sine_Qua_Non SuperDork
1/24/23 10:08 p.m.
z31maniac said:

I'm curious what the price of the new CX-90 will be. The better half liked the CX-5 loaner we had a few years ago. 

Likely to start above $40K for base

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
1/25/23 12:53 a.m.
J.A. Ackley said:

I've been hearing rumors of this inline-six engine for awhile. I've also been hearing rumors of a RWD, inline-six sport coupe. Well, one of two rumors came true.

One of two rumors came true so far.

maschinenbau
maschinenbau UberDork
1/25/23 9:00 a.m.
Keith Tanner said:

They need a halo car other than a sub-$30k roadster. They need that RX-Vision. So cool.

We the niche GRM/enthusiast crowd think they need it. In reality they don't, just like how Toyota doesn't need the BRZ and Supra to sell more Rav4's. It would be incredibly cool but I wouldn't hold my breath. Mazda is still a very small company and I'd be surprised if they can afford to develop two sports cars in the ever-growing world of SUVs and crossovers.

j_tso
j_tso Dork
1/25/23 9:36 a.m.

wasn't there also a rumor of Mazda working with Toyota on a sporty sedan? 

Will people complain if Toyota used a Mazda I6 instead of BMW's?

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 PowerDork
1/25/23 9:48 a.m.
Keith Tanner said:

Not a lot of automakers are introducing ground-up new combustion engines right now. Mazda does not follow the crowd.

That vision coupe is beautiful. This setup sounds like it could be a direct competitor to the MDX Type S, which, is a great car. 

Would love to see this in a sedan. 

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
1/25/23 9:58 a.m.

I almost forgot that Mazda held some sort of financial meeting a few years ago that pretty much spilled the beans on its new inline-six:

[Mazda Touts New Inline-Six Engine]

It's not a long read, but here's the slide from the presentation that detailed the new engine(s):

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
1/25/23 10:00 a.m.

In reply to j_tso :

That's a theory that I've had in my head. I don't know if there will be less complaining, but Toyota souring inline sixes from Mazda seems more right?

triumph7
triumph7 HalfDork
1/25/23 10:39 a.m.
maschinenbau said:
Keith Tanner said:

We the niche GRM/enthusiast crowd think they need it. In reality they don't, just like how Toyota doesn't need the BRZ and Supra to sell more Rav4's. It would be incredibly cool but I wouldn't hold my breath. Mazda is still a very small company and I'd be surprised if they can afford to develop two sports cars in the ever-growing world of SUVs and crossovers.

Yeah, a halo CAR is not likely to help sell (essentially) trucks.  The good news for Mazda is that they almost have the budget sports car market to themselves.  Beyond the Miata there's the BRZ but the next step is the more expensive Boxter and it only gets worse from there.

Another thought as we've seen some brand new ICE developments in a world of EV only futures recently, is hydrogen ready for a comeback?

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
1/25/23 12:22 p.m.
j_tso said:

wasn't there also a rumor of Mazda working with Toyota on a sporty sedan? 

Will people complain if Toyota used a Mazda I6 instead of BMW's?

They probably would, but it won't happen. It's not so much that Toyota is using the BMW I6 in their car, as it is, it's really a hard top Z4 with Toyota bodywork and suspension tuning. 

Even the inside is straight out of the BMW. 

Matt B (fs)
Matt B (fs) UltraDork
1/25/23 12:34 p.m.

From the website: "the 3.3-liter inline 6 turbo is the most powerful engine we’ve ever engineered, and was developed in unison with a performance focused vehicle platform, to support a front engine, rear-biased AWD layout. "

Hopefully when they say platform it is modular enough to be used for more than SUVs.  To those of you in the industry who understand platform engineering, is that even possible?

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
1/25/23 12:39 p.m.
triumph7 said:
maschinenbau said:
Keith Tanner said:

Yeah, a halo CAR is not likely to help sell (essentially) trucks.  The good news for Mazda is that they almost have the budget sports car market to themselves.  Beyond the Miata there's the BRZ but the next step is the more expensive Boxter and it only gets worse from there.

Another thought as we've seen some brand new ICE developments in a world of EV only futures recently, is hydrogen ready for a comeback?

Last question: no. It's as ready as it always was, comforting because it seems familiar but basically unworkable. Even the concept of a fast fill doesn't really work if you have multiple cars back to back. But the Japanese government likes the idea so the Japanese automakers will keep trying a little.

Pretty much every automaker has a halo car. Even Mazda has had them in the past. Corvettes sell Blazers by making them seem cooler than just a tall station wagon.

Mazda's got the budget sports car market to themselves because nobody has been able to compete ;) There have been past attempts and there will be more attempts. Others seem to aim more upmarket (BMW, Porsche, Honda) and then discover that the "budget" part was actually important. Or they build crap (Ford Capri) or just walk away (Solstice). But if Mazda wants to portray themselves as a premium brand (which they do) then they need a showcase. There's a new Miata coming soon, it would not be a surprise to see something else sharing the RWD longitudinal platform. We've seen that before :)

If anyone puts this straight six in a Miata, I'm calling it an MX-5C.

maschinenbau
maschinenbau UberDork
1/25/23 12:51 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

I agree that if the halo car thing happens, it's likely a stretched and shared platform with the Miata like the NC/RX-8. Which is not a bad thing at all.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
1/25/23 12:52 p.m.

Is no one else going to mention the fact that mazda's most powerful engine ever has 340hp? I truly feel embarassed for them. 

STM317
STM317 PowerDork
1/25/23 12:52 p.m.
alfadriver said:

Did you guys get any details of the I6?  Theoretically, a single turbo version is a big help for emissions.  

340hp/369 ft-lbs, and very likely to include a 48V mild hybrid system.

They also have a 3.3L inline 6 powered by diesel in Europe, which I'd guess shares some components with this new gasser.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
XQesQRn4Qildz1F5xYsjlwAEYR1VbFI1AJOOvXJElmRdAnMOUk8CQCsEjgD7BzUC