sherlockmike
sherlockmike
10/12/23 11:41 a.m.

Kathy and I participated in the summer 2023 Smokey Mountain tour (an excellent experience in terms of folks we met, the roads we traveled and the cars we saw). I read a recent column penned by Tim reflecting on this summer’s Smokey Mountain tour.   I am particular intrigued by the “ right car” question he posed towards the end of the column.  I was very pleased and impressed with how my SL 550 handled itself during the trip, both traveling to Ashville and hustling around on the roads Tim found for the tour.  The Alfa 4C that Jeff loaned me for that one day in the mountains was an absolute blast.   It was enough fun that I immediately started pricing 4Cs’ when I got home.

I now find myself in a dilemma (well a dilemma for a car guy) similar to the one Tim posed in the column.  Kathy and I got a second home in PA this summer.  The roads around Lancaster/ Gettysburg are a lot more fun than in central Florida .  I’ve been looking for a car to keep there, one that would be fun to play with.  

But what car?  It will driven occasionally in winter, probably sometimes in the snow.  We like convertibles, want the handling of a true two seater sports car but the ability to carry 4 would be convenient.  Simple, stone cold reliable, no fancy electronics (it will sit for weeks, maybe on a trickle charger) but with a cool vibe.  And because it will be my 4th car, with a budget of $25k tops.

We are fortunate in Florida to have a ready market for “condo cars” or cars being sold by the widow (or son’s in law) because the owner’s “plans have changed”.  Cars that are 10+ years old with low miles and a pampered history.  I’ve been looking at a wide variety:  BMW Z3 3.0, Merc SLK, C5 Corvettes (Kathy's son owns a Chevy dealership in PA), BMW 330ci, Subaru WRX, Porsche Boxster, and of course Miata. 

What are your thoughts?  What cars am I overlooking? Any recommendations?   I appreciate the wisdom of the GRM fellowship.

triumph7
triumph7 HalfDork
10/12/23 1:29 p.m.

Be careful with the C5 Vettes, the early ones used an ABS controller made by Bosch.  That module is unobtainable and non-repairable.  They switched to a Delco unit in '00 or '01.  That unit is unobtainable though it can be repaired.

Miatae are pretty much bulletproof.

GTwannaB
GTwannaB Dork
10/13/23 9:10 p.m.

Audi S4 Manual convertible. No snow chains required, just a massive timing chain project. 

ClearWaterMS
ClearWaterMS Reader
10/13/23 10:01 p.m.

American choices: Mustang or Camaro (both will seat 4 in a pinch, both come in v8 and stick shift and both have options in the $25k)

German choice: 996 c4 convertible

English choice: Jaguar F-type v6

Funky choice: Chevrolet SSR

sherlockmike
sherlockmike New Reader
10/14/23 8:41 a.m.

I just learned about the ABS issue with C5's. Thanks

Hadn't thought of an Audi.

Yep, looking at Mustangs and Camaros. Prefer the Mustang but with Kathy's son owning a Chevy dealership don't think I will be well received at family gatherings.

Porsches, yeah 996 and Boxsters should be on the list but my experience with my 997.1 (IMS) and Boxster (software gremlins) have soured my relationship with the brand. Porsche was my dream brand. Not anymore.

My experience with Jags have been good. I should look closer. The SSR is out of the box thinking. Fun to think about.

sherlockmike
sherlockmike New Reader
10/14/23 9:56 a.m.

What about a Nissan 350Z?

buzzboy
buzzboy UltraDork
10/14/23 10:48 a.m.

5th gen Camaro or Mustang:

Seats 4
Available as convertible
Simple enough
Fun to drive
Plenty of power
Fine in snow with the right tires

ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter)
ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter) Dork
10/14/23 12:12 p.m.

If you can get past the need to seat 4, ND Miata RF is the obvious choice. Checks all the other boxes. 

MiniDave
MiniDave HalfDork
10/14/23 12:35 p.m.

MINI Cooper S convertible, fun on a bun, front drive for snow, back seat for occasional use, excellent handling, brakes and fuel economy. You can park it anywhere and it doesn't take up much space - unique convertible top that slides back like a sunroof or opens all the way. Be sure to leave a battery tender on it if you're gone for a while. They don't like to start off a dead battery/jumper. Drive one before you decide on something else - you'll be hooked!

Second, Audi A5 convertible.....all the same reasons as the MINI but in a bigger package and quattro.

amg_rx7 (Forum Supporter)
amg_rx7 (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
10/14/23 12:56 p.m.

I'd be strongly favoring the corvette given the use case and ease of repairs from the family connection. Maybe a C6 instead of a C5.

That said, the SLK is a fun car and makes a great convertible too. 

NC Miata is a great option as well. 

I don't trust the Audis - similar experience to your Porsche experience. But they do make a nice car. 

Lexus also made an IS convertible. Worth an initial consideration. 

triumph7
triumph7 HalfDork
10/14/23 3:32 p.m.

In reply to sherlockmike :

There is the C6 to think about too.  '05 to '07 with the LS2 and '08 to '13 with the LS3.  Avoid the '05 models as they have weaker drivelines.  It's a little hard to find manuals but I hear the paddle shift auto can be tuned to be quick.

MiniDave
MiniDave HalfDork
10/14/23 4:33 p.m.

" It will driven occasionally in winter, probably sometimes in the snow.  We like convertibles, want the handling of a true two seater sports car but the ability to carry 4 would be convenient."

Doesn't this requirement sort of rule out a Vette?

ClearWaterMS
ClearWaterMS Reader
10/20/23 1:11 p.m.
MiniDave said:

" It will driven occasionally in winter, probably sometimes in the snow.  We like convertibles, want the handling of a true two seater sports car but the ability to carry 4 would be convenient."

Doesn't this requirement sort of rule out a Vette?

in Pennsylvania a corvette holds 4

https://www.corvetteblogger.com/2016/10/28/mom-sentenced-6-23-months-prison-putting-kids-trunk-2002-corvette

cbaclawski
cbaclawski Reader
10/20/23 1:21 p.m.

E92 M3 - Easily my favorite car to drive on track (Admittedly I'm biased towards BMW, and don't care for forced induction).  I have driven plenty of different cars on track though.  you should be able to find a decent example for 25k or less.  (Unless you are a purist, the dct is AWESOME)

QuasiMofo (John Brown)
QuasiMofo (John Brown) MegaDork
10/20/23 1:33 p.m.

In reply to sherlockmike :

I think that I will start the line of "oh, well yeah... that's obvious" suggestions. 

Ultimate Driving Machine

QuasiMofo (John Brown)
10/20/23 1:37 p.m.
QuasiMofo (John Brown)
10/20/23 1:38 p.m.
ClearWaterMS
ClearWaterMS Reader
10/20/23 1:54 p.m.
cbaclawski said:

E92 M3 - Easily my favorite car to drive on track (Admittedly I'm biased towards BMW, and don't care for forced induction).  I have driven plenty of different cars on track though.  you should be able to find a decent example for 25k or less.  (Unless you are a purist, the dct is AWESOME)

Speed academy's recent video begs to differ

sherlockmike
sherlockmike New Reader
10/21/23 8:43 a.m.

I recently found a Z3 3.0 coupe. Yellow. 100+ miles. $20k. Great history. Maintenance up to date.

I have always liked the Z3 coupe and for some reason I like yellow cars. My C6 Z06 was yellow. Loved it.

But I think the yellow Z3 coupe here is too nice. I can't in good conscience leave such a nice car sitting outside for months. I would have to find a storage unit for it. 

If anyone is interested in the car, I will give them the contact information for the lot where the car is located.

sherlockmike
sherlockmike New Reader
10/21/23 8:48 a.m.

After 2006, BMWs lose it for me. I have had 3 series, 5 series, 7 series from the earlier years and was a big fan. The newer ones have gotten progressively heavier and uglier (IMO). There is a nice 2005 330ci convertible with low miles available locally. It has risen to high on my list.

dyintorace
dyintorace PowerDork
10/21/23 8:56 a.m.

If you could find an e46 330ci with the ZHP package, that would be a phenomenal choice. I've owned 4 e46 models (2 ZHP sedans and 2 wagons) and love them. I'd happily buy another!

sherlockmike
sherlockmike New Reader
10/21/23 11:50 a.m.

Agree with the ZHP package, but around here only high mileage versions are available in my price range.

the 350z idea hasn't got a lot of love from anyone. Curious 

sherlockmike
sherlockmike New Reader
10/25/23 1:56 p.m.

Thanks everyone for your input.  Your comments broaden my search parameters.  But I keep coming back to  needing a cheap, reliable car that has a high fun quotient.  And it keeps coming up Miata.  There is a 2015 low mileage Grand Touring hardtop with a manual (most seem to be autos) near by.  It's more that I wanted to spend (for a Miata) but solves the problem.  Going to look at this weekend.

I appreciate everyone's comments.

dyintorace
dyintorace PowerDork
10/25/23 2:26 p.m.
sherlockmike said:

Agree with the ZHP package, but around here only high mileage versions are available in my price range.

the 350z idea hasn't got a lot of love from anyone. Curious 

What is your price range? I always enjoy shopping for others! :)

sherlockmike
sherlockmike New Reader
10/25/23 7:05 p.m.

For a low mileage ZHP package $20k-$25k tops. There is a2005 330ci with the sports and premium package(55k miles, clean Carfax, not ZHP) for $13000. What do you think?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
BXCzPGi7lGN4METAS8SILweWLJ2afAU4j8sqsuMVsncBK0mkIS2t5sHwXXi5TeDd