DG
DG
11/6/09 9:27 p.m.

I am now searching for some advice on suspension replacement and don't really have the money to do extensive testing. I am finally restoring a VW GTI (84 Mk1)that I formally used for SOLO II and still has the original springs and bushings and some very old Tokico Illumia shocks. I have been tempted to go with coilovers and try some lowering and corner balancing but have been warned away from lowering a simple strut front suspension beacuse this would destroy the front end geometry.

Will a moderate reduction in ride height (1-1 1/2") cause more roll (change in roll center) and what is the standard solution for most road racers that don't competely revise/replace their front suspension?

JetMech
JetMech Reader
11/6/09 11:29 p.m.

I'm not certain about the suspension setup, but...

I'm assuming the bushings are rubber? If so, I'd replace them with polyurethane if that's an option.

confuZion3
confuZion3 SuperDork
11/7/09 12:01 a.m.

Try some stiffer springs, JetMech's bushing idea, and perhaps some sway bars. You might not really need to lower it. You can always add camber plates and get some more camber too.

Tom Heath
Tom Heath Marketing / Club Coordinator
11/7/09 8:51 p.m.

The good thing about going with a popular platform like an early VW (or Miata, Mustang, Camaro, etc...) is the solid base of information that exists. You're right, testing can be expensive in terms of time and money, so a little research into what works for other people can save you a lot of headaches. As far as VW's go, I'd watch Per's project Golf and try this book.

You might even get the author to sign it for you.

JetMech
JetMech Reader
11/7/09 11:32 p.m.
Tom Heath wrote: As far as VW's go, I'd watch Per's project Golf and try this book. You might even get the author to sign it for you.

Since I'm looking to build a GTI, I'll be keeping an eye on Per's Golf. If/when I buy the car, I'll get a copy of his book as well. Thanks for that info!

Wally
Wally SuperDork
11/8/09 1:42 a.m.

The testing I get always involves some pictures of ink stains and bunnies eating the corpses of late night real estate millionares

DG
DG New Reader
3/31/10 8:52 p.m.

I got the bushings (Delrin) and Per's book...could be more updated. There are many parts out there but they seem to dimish drastically after 1985 for VW Golf/Rabbit.

I like the coilover idea but don't want to buy cheap parts that have high prices. Who has experience with B&G Coilovers? They seem to have the features I am looking for (gas monotube design, double adjustable for spring and strut height, rebound adjustable 16 ways, aluminum/steel powered coated and lifetime warranty) but I have no experience with them.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
UBvIFWwwPGAThGKKd2SlZnjFkGh30apXb2qSDeb376svc1FdhPPhe9D1mNgT2Maa